US Airways / Ticket Price, Change Fee, Guaranteed Air Fare Rule

I just had a very disturbing incident with US Airways this week and just needed to get it off my chest. As some of your know, Darrell and I are going to Europe in March. Being less than 2 months away, I figured I better book our trip, since last year (yes, we went to Europe last year too), prices started going up after the New Year.

So on January 17, 2009, I went to the US Airways website and booked our tickets. At the time, I thought I was getting a bargain, and you all know how much I love a good bargain. Well, imagine my surprise when four (4) days later, on January 21, 2009, US Airways drops their price by $125/person -- a lot of money for the same itinerary, same airline, same booking channel. In true stereo typical Asian fashion, I called US Airways and asked for a credit/voucher for the difference. After all, the price changed within 4 days of when I booked it.

This was their reply (which is also apparently their policy):
When a fare qualifies for the Guaranteed Air Fare Rule, a new ticket will be issued and it is considered a changed ticket. All restrictions of a nonrefundable ticket will apply including the appropriate change fee for reissuing the ticket. The Guaranteed Air Fare voucher may be used for purchase of a future ticket.

FYI, the change fee is $150.00. Yes, that is correct. In order to get any money back through the "Guaranteed Air Fare Rule", the price drop has to be more than $150.00, otherwise, US Airways' change fee will absorb any difference you may have gained as part of a price drop. For example, if the price of a ticket dropped by $160, you would not receive a voucher for $160, but rather $10.

Contrast US Airways' "Guaranteed Air Fare Rule" with "Orbitz Price Assurance" with states:
Once you book a flight on Orbitz, we start tracking to see if another customer subsequently books the same flight on Orbitz at a lower price.
If that happens, we'll issue a refund for the difference, between $5 and $250 per traveler. We'll continue tracking until the day you fly. So each time the price drops and another customer subsequently books your same itinerary for a lower fare, your refund amount will increase.
Expect to receive your refund check approximately 30 days after your trip is complete. We'll mail it to the billing address for the credit card used to make the booking. You'll have 90 days from the date the check is issued to cash it.

SIMPLE, EASY, LOGICAL. FYI, US Airways is a part owner of Orbitz. Go figured!

I have been a loyal customer of US Airways for 16 years (even before the merger when they were America West). But after this, do you think I am going to be booking my flights on the US Airways website or even fly with them? Oh HELL-TO-THE-NO!!! I will gladly pay an extra $125 to fly a different carrier.

As far as I'm concern, US Airways just lost this 16 year old relationship over the fact that they let their policy override good, common sense, customer service. This is 2009 and in this economy, you would think that you do whatever you can to retain customer loyalty. Throw this dog a bone. Free cocktail, even a partial credit/voucher, something. But to simply state, "I am sorry I was not able to help you with this issue. Thank you for flying with US."??? I will take my hard earned money to someone who still knows the value of good customer service.

UPDATE 1/23/2009 @ 1:43pm: US Airways dropped the price $164/person. I again called them up and asked for the "Guaranteed Air Fare". This time, I was transfered to the International Reservations desk, where I was told the Change Fee on international travel was $250 and again, the fee would not be waived.

Comments

• Va
      15th of May, 2008
    US Airways Vacations - Cancelled flight
    US Airways Vacations
    www.usairwaysvacations.com

Lost a whole day of vacation because USAir flight 473 JFK to Vegas 05/05/2008 9:40 am was cancelled they rebooked us on a American Airlines flight at 4:55pm sat in airport for almost 8 hours was giving nothing not even a food voucher or where to go to other terminal.

This trip was booked through USAir vacations when we got to Vegas didn’t have upgraded room that we paid for MGM Grand says rooms aren’t guaranteed thank god they got me another room in morning. All we where offered was 100$ towards another USAir flight within a year and they said that’s all they could do.

• Me
      15th of May, 2008
    US Airways - Took over 26 hours to fly home!
    Arizona
    Phone: fax: 480-693-2300
    www.usairways.com

For the record my son, Michael Pignataro had a confirmed reservation on US Airways flight 3952 out of Washington’s Reagan Airport on Sunday May 11 at 7:59pm, (final destination: St Louis with a 3 hour layover in Philadelphia) after waiting approximately and hour and a half it was announced that the flight was canceled DUE TO UNAVAILABILITY OF CREW. This would seem to be a situation where accommodation, meals etc. would be provided due to the fact that he would miss his connecting flight in Philadelphia (Washington, DC is not his home city). However, nothing was provided except a ticket on the next flight out (flight 4018), which was then delayed due to weather, and which was FURTHER DELAYED BY RETURNING FROM THE RUNWAY BACK TO THE GATE TO PICK UP A PASSENGER (wow! who were they?). He arrives in Philadelphia at approximately 12:34, (minus his bags which have mysteriously found their way to St Louis???) by the time he de-planes and goes to the ticket counter and baggage area to file a claim he discovers that they are closed.

Note that the original flight delay was rooted solely in US Airways incompetence. On their website they state that under "Customer First" policies they will provide hotel and meals and if delayed more than 4 hours on a domestic flight because of some thing they caused, they will provide up to $400 reimbursement of ticket price. Sure.

I happen to live an hour from Philadelphia’s airport, so I leave my home at 1:15 in the morning to pick him up.

He has a flight the next day at 12:01 (flight 3711)... we drive back to the airport. Flight is canceled due to weather. But there are many flights that day in and out of Philadelphia to Saint Louis on US Airways and there are other carriers that were not canceled that he should have been provided a seat on (although they are not non-stop they would have been acceptable) however US Airways only decides to re-book him on the 10:45pm flight (flight 3189) out of Philadelphia... which (YOU GUESSED IT) is delayed due to??? Well, couldn’t get an answer on that one.

He arrives in Saint Louis approximately 26 hours after he was supposed to. He Loses a days pay. He has no baggage (as Saint Louis’s baggage area is closed). He must now, after work today, drive two hours back to St Louis Airport to hopefully retrieve his bags and then drive back two hours back to his home in Decatur, Il. US Airways, surging gas prices also mean something to the “Little Guy” only we can’t pass those costs onto anyone else. I also lost over a tank of gas traveling back and forth to Philadelphia’s airport 6 times.

But what did US Airways provide after all this? NOTHING. “Customer First” also means “NOTHING.”

• St
      3rd of Apr, 2009

Same thing for me. I booked vacation flights PHX- PVR in April for Nov flight. Next day price dropped $100. Called and no way. NEVER BOOK ON US AIRWAYS WEBSITE. Priceline also has price drop guarantee.

• Ih
      4th of Oct, 2009

You all are forgetting that the price guarantees of the other websites state that somebody else has to book the same ticket (same flights, dates, etc.) via that specific website for the guarantee to be in effect. Just having the fare drop will not necessarily get you a refund. Also, most airlines do charge some sort of fee when requesting a refund or credit when the fare drops. Thats just not a US Airways thing.

• Lu
      22nd of Nov, 2009

11/2009 - I will never fly US Airway again. First I was charged $25 each way for luggage - was not advised of this when I booked online. Flying from Boston to Philly, plane broke down. Placed on another plane 1 hour later and waited another hour for a new plane. Arrived in Philly and had to wait another 3 hours for my connecting flight to Detroit. I asked Customer Service if there were any amenities for this event. I was told that I had to be 'stranded in that airport' to receive anything. Not even extra miles! I arrived in Detroit 2 hours later and had to wait 40 minutes at the baggage claim area...never told why. A 3.2 hour flight took 10 hours! Unbelievable! Terrible service!

• Do
      11th of Feb, 2010
    US Airways - EXTREMELY BAD, THE WORST EVERcustomer service

due to the snow storm, I called regarding about the status of my flight and how i can readjust my flight. The person on the other end was very impolite, and keep asking me the same thing as if I was mentally ### it. and i was waited on the phone for more than 1 hr for them to pick up the phone. very rude the worst service i ever encounter. Never again i would fly us airway. it's much cheaper with airtran. delta was about the same price but much much better service.

• Ta
      11th of Feb, 2010

US AIRWAYS IS THE WORST AIRLINE UPON THE EARTH ! THE RUDEST, MOST OBNOXIOUS NASTY PEOPLE WORK FOR THIS AIRLINE. I FLEW WITH THEM TWICE IN THE LAST FEW YEARS AND ENDED UP CRYING OVER THE AWEFUL TREATMENT AND UNKIND ATTITUDES . WHILE TRYING TO GET BOARDED, WE WERE ALL TREATED WITH SUCH UNBELIEVABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, IT WAS BEYOND MY IMAGINATION THE LACK OF CARE ! NEVER FLY THIS AIRLINE, EVEN IF THE TICKET IS FREE, WHICH MINE WAS.

• Wh
      10th of Aug, 2010
    US Airways - Service
    Us Airways

In April I booked a last minute flight on US Airways. My first leg of the flight was horrible. Since I booked last minute I knew I would be in the last row. To my surprise I approach my seat and see 2 large people sprawled onto the 3 seats. I say to the lady this is my seat, the aisle seat. She moves over a bit. I am small so I was able to squeeze in but no room to spare..she was pushing my hip so that my other hip went into the arm rest. I went to the flight attendant and was told they paid for there seat. The arm rests could not come down on either seat as they were to large. I got 1/4 of my seat though I paid for a full seat and was given no assistance by the flight attendants.

Lesson not learned...

Took my last flight on US Airways this past weekend August 7th. The flight attendant in front of the whole plane said to my husband and I would not separate our seats to allow a mother and teenage daughter sit together. They evidently booked tickets late and could not get seats together. But, we were being ridiculed because of there error. Not to mention we sat on the tarmac in phoenix in 100 degree weather without air on the plane. This is worse than sounds..but really does anyone give a damn anymore. NO..so it is away to vent..but people could care less including US Airways.

Done with US Airways...Here I come Continental...don't do me wrong...

• Ed
      15th of Sep, 2010

I booked 2 round trip tickets from Savannah to Charlotte to
    Denver to Montrose, Colorado. Our final destination was Telluride, Colorado which is at 9, 000 feet. I was unable to
    acclimate to that altitude and after thrre days of doctor visits and sucking ozygen 24 hours a day I was advised to leave. I called US Airways to change our return schedule and was charged $150.00 and 60.50 on 20 August 2010 and $150, 00 and 60.50 on 21 August 2010. I advised and provided a letter from the Telluride, Colorado Medical Center advising me to leave. I have sent several e-mails to US Airways with no response. I also sent and faxed documents to the agency who booked the tickets and, again, no response.Once you have booked a ticket you have provided the airlines with a license to screw you over anyway they wish. A ridiculous suggestion but any gate attendant could refuse to allow boarding if he or she didn't like the color of your coat.Bring back the trains.

• Ih
      17th of Nov, 2010

How can you say the airlines are screwing you over by assessing you the fees you agreed to when you purchased your tickets?? What do you think the purpose of offering refundable fares or travel insurance is for??

• Be
      2nd of May, 2011
    US Airways - Fails to Serve
    US Airways

I was scheduled to fly from Syracuse, NY to Madison, WI for a workshop this coming Monday- Wednesday. I understand airlines can't control the weather, but they should at least have a back-up plan. My flight from Syracuse was delayed 2 hours, which was enough for me to miss my connecting flight. I called their phone number and was told they couldn't get me to WI until Tuesday. I asked if they could get me anywhere close and they said they couldn't.

Yet I go on Expedia and I could fly out this afternoon (for 3 times the cost) and get there. Why couldn't they put me on this flight? It also originated with US Airways then transferred to Delta.

Because of this I can not go to the workshop and I am out $500 for rental car and hotel.

• Co
      7th of Jul, 2011
    US Airways - Lying thieves
    US Airways

Rebooking a flight on 6/10 through USAIRWAYS I confirmed that the additional charges to my account would be $25 for a reservations fee and a $3.44 charge in the difference for a total of $28.44-that is ALL I AUTHORIZED to be charged to my account and agreed to. Much to my surprise I was LIED to and STOLEN FROM! I've repeatedly contacted them through phone and email and they REFUSE to call me back. In stealing my money and lying they have caused my account to become overdrawn and it is now accruing NSF fees!

• Ga
      29th of Jul, 2011
    US Airways - baggage damaged
    US Airways

I'm absolutely ticked off with the atrocious service that US Airways provides to its customers. Aside from the flight being uncomfortable and the plane looking dirty, they damaged my bag! I was forced to check my small rolling carry-on bag because they said there wasn't enough overhead room left. I was not happy because I had souvenirs in my bag and purposely brought a carry-on so I could bring it on board with me and make sure it was safe. After my bag was taken away from me (along with other peoples' behind me), I got to my seat and noticed there was still plenty of overhead luggage space and I was lied to. When I finally landed back in NYC and retrieved my checked bag, the zipper was completely damaged as well as 1 wooden souvenir I had stored in my bag. I'm so displeased with how US Airways takes 'care' of their customers' belongings.

US Airways - Passenger's food stolen by crew members
    New York
    New York

On 09/04/11, I boarded the 801 flight from Rio de Janeiro to Charlotte. As I got onto the plane, I handed a container with a meal to a flight attendant. I asked him to storage and warm my food and give it to me at mealtime. He was a little sarcastic with my request even though it has been done at others US AIRWAYS flights.
    I have a special disease which most foods give me allergic reactions, causing even an anaphylactic shock and can cause death. That is why I bring my own food when I fly.
    At mealtime, the flight attendants came to me and said that they did not know where my meal was. Later, they came back and said that they gave my meal to another passenger. How come they did not know where my food was since I personally had given that to one of them less than 2 hours before that? Unbelievable!
    I definitely concluded that my food was stolen by the flight attendants. And there is nothing that was served during a flight that I could eat. NOTHING! They tried to offer me business class food but eating that could lead to an anaphylactic shock and death.
    US AIRWAYS pleople do not respect human beings. They are monsters.

• Gs
      5th of Sep, 2011

I thought passengers had to make arrangements ahead of time for special meals. Was your food so great that a monster would steal it? Maybe monsters know good food when they see it. LOL! If you bring food that doesn't need to be stored or heated, you can keep it with you. That sounds easy enough!

• He
      5th of Sep, 2011

Did you label it with your name and seat number? They have 100 plus passangers, I doubt they stole your food...if your allergies are that bad then you need to have an insulated bag and keep your food with you, then ask them to heat it for you while on the flight. To ask them to store it is a bit ovder the top since they bearly have room for the other food that they supply to the passangers

• El
      6th of Sep, 2011

I am surprised you could bring the 'special' food, instead of inform them you required a special meal. Some people have allergies like nuts and strawberries, etc; so if your meal contained those foods, when you opened your container, you would now cause an allergic reaction to someone else.

I am going to educate myself and review these policies- instead of guessing...

• Bi
      25th of Apr, 2012
    US Airways - They have been totally unresponsive regarding my request for compensation
    US Airways

On a recent flight home from Chicago O’Hare to Philadelphia, we were informed just before we boarded that there was no more room in the overhead bins and that all carry-on luggage had to be checked at the plane. Since I only had one bag, I handed it over. When I collected my bag in Philadelphia I found that an airline employee had gone into my bag and removed both my Church’s laptop and the power cord. US Airways claims that they are not liable since they have a travelers notice that claims they will not cover the loss of anything valuable (i.e. jewelry, cameras, electronics, etc).

They have been totally unresponsive regarding my request for compensation and they have not told me what they are doing to find the responsible person and press charges.

• Bo
      2nd of May, 2012

There is a reason US Air consistently ranks in the bottom third of all carriers. Funny thing is that if they merge with American, there wont be any one to compete with them for the cellar of customer service experience. It is a shame that a company which bears the country name and a representation of our flag is such a poor representative of our nation. At least they brought back call center from India. "Ayyylooow...dees eees Ooo Essss Ear."

• Li
      7th of May, 2012
    USAirways - Charlotte customer service
    North Carolina

I was flying home from a family funeral and got to the airport early. They were able to put me on an earlier flight and so I landed in Charlotte early. Right across the terminal was an earlier flight home and so I asked to switch. I was told that it would cost $50. I asked if I could go on standby and was told no, because the flight wasn't full. I asked if that meant that they would send that plane away with empty seats while I sat in the terminal and waited 2 1/2 more hours for my flight. I was told yes by several usair employees. I called the 800 number and was told that the airport could make the change, but instead I was treated rudely by usair employees. Getting home earlier would have saved me a 2 hour trip to pick up my daughter, and the employees smiled as they shut the gate. I am shocked at the lack of logic and humanity shown by usairways staff in Charlotte. I cant believe this is an American company; I wonder if it has been purchased by Chinese investors who have no sense of customer service or basic kindness.