Ups Store 3495 Cambie Vancouver / gutless hidden charges

1 3495 Cambie StreetVancouver, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:

Beware UPS hidden fees. I used the UPS store on Cambie near 18th yesterday. I asked whether they did regular postage. The man said yes, put my large envelop on a non-metered scale and charged me $3.52. The impression was clearly that the 3.52 was based on metering. After paying, he then said, 'everything's fine. we'll put in the mailbox for you.' I thought perhaps it is better I put it in the mailbox and said "I would like to put the envelope in the mailbox." That's when things turned funny. He suddenly looked uncomfortable. The man very hesitantly took my envelop to another scale, one that was metered. It was only then that I noticed that the first scale was not a metered one--it was just part of the game. He stood there a long spell and finally, pressed a button and a postage sticker came out. He handed me back my stamped letter and I proceeded to walk out the store. Then, I noticed that the postage read just over 2 dollars! I went back and asked about this and the man said 'we're not canada post so we charge a service fee for putting postage on letters.'

i got angry and replied that nowhere was this mentioned. 2ndly, i was paying close to double just to have ups put on a stamp. thirdly, I was most angered by the theatre of it all--I would have been none the wiser if I had just let them put it in the mailbox and I wondered how many others have simply left it at that for UPS to drop in the mailbox not knowing that they were charged a huge premium over normal postage. They put on a show that they are like a post office so that no one ever thinks to ask about any fees. Moreover, there is no system for the fees charged it seems to me. I paid nearly double my postage. I demanded my money back and after a spat got it back. Buyer beware on UPS, particularly the one at 3495 Cambie.

Bo

Comments

• Th
      11th of Feb, 2009

I am writing in response to Ken's comments regarding the surcharge for postage at our location of the UPS store at 18th and Cambie.

I agree that we should be upfront with customers regarding our convenience fee for metered mailing service and in hindsight we should have a sign indicating that we do charge a convenience fee for letters & postage (since this episode we have posted signs indicating this).

I would also like to clarify some points. The difference in what we charged Ken was not double, it was actually around $.90 for a large letter that would have cost around $2.60. at Canada Post. We provide this as a service to our customers (the nearest Canada Post outlet is 7 blocks away) as there is very little money to be made on Postage. Just so people know, we buy the postage at the same rate as the public, we rent the meter at about $75.00 per month, we buy the ink cartridge about ($50 every 3 months or so) we tie up $500 - $1000 in cash and then, after we close, we take the mail to the post office. Does that sound like a real profit making venture?

Even though we could have handled the situation better, it does not excuse the extreme rudeness and coarse language used by this customer.

We are an independently owned small business franchise that has operated in this neighborhood for almost 13 years. We have an excellent reputation in this neighborhood and have worked hard to build a good business. As for Ken, he’s one of those people that makes you wonder why ANYONE would want to serve people in a retail environment.

The UPS Store #177
    Vancouver, BC

• La
      16th of Mar, 2010

I've dealt with this UPS store for many years and and independent one in Kitsilano (Business Mart). Canada Post is pretty hard line about what you can and cannot do. You are not 'supposed' to sell Canada Post postage. You cannot call a private mailbox a "P O Box" in the address.

It is unfortunate they were not more up front about this practice. However, the level of nastiness in this anonymous complaint is typical of the Internet age. All this bile over $1.00? Oh, but Bobong will then spout on about the 'principle' of the matter. Get a life!