United Air Care - Bloomsfield, NJ / Failed contractual obligations

90 Broughton Ave
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
[protected]
www.unitedaircare.com

We hired this company to perform duct cleaning, based on a coupon offer they had made available. When they arrived, they not only gave my wife a hard time about the coupon, they then quoted an outrageous amount for doing additional work. When my wife declined the additional work, they became irritated, packed up their equipment, charged us and left. My wife called me, visibly upset. I came home and reviewed what they had done in terms of service. Of the items billed, they did not complete the job, left the house in a mess (discolored walls, dirt on the floors etc), they had apparently filled out their own inspection report and gotten my wife to sign off on it. I called the company and discussed the issues with Nick, the office manager and stopped the check pending their completion of the job. After going backwards and forwards a few times with Nick, they agreed to come out the next evening at 5pm with a manager to fix the problem. The workman arrived at 3:45 pm, with no manager when I wasn't home. My wife did not feel comfortable letting them in without me there. I called the manager, who said they would wait till 5 pm when I got home. I got there before 5 and they had left. I received a voicemail from them saying that they had reviewed the work and felt that they had completed the service and no mess was evident (I find this hard to understand as they had not entered the house). I called the office again and spoke with another manager Claude for 45 minutes, who promised me that they would come out the next day at 6pm to finish the work. They did not show. Again a day later, they show up at the house at 8:15 am, with no appointment at the house, when I'm at work. I received a voice mail saying they were in the area and wanted my availability.

Now while I am comfortable with paying for service, this is not service in any shape or form. They have neglected to live up to their promises and I have issues with the fact they did not complete the work. I have photographic evidence of the lack of clean up, and the condition of the vents that they supposedly cleaned. There is no doubt in my mind that they failed in their contractual obligations.

Sincerely yours,
Simon Sacke
15 Toth Lane, Rocky Hill, NJ 08553

Va

Comments

• Li
      27th of Sep, 2007

My husband hired a United Air Care duct cleaning company in California based on a coupon for $89. I agreed to a little more work, but did not agree to the $803 these gougers charged me! No one has any last name at this company, and the invoice lists a non-existent Tarzana address. I tried to have the BBB resolve this, and spoke with "Danny" who told me to e-mail him a complaint and he would investigate. When I called a month later, he had done no investigation and acted like he had never heard of me or my written complaint. Please fully check out the poeple you allow into your home.

LRS

• Cs
      24th of Nov, 2008

This company now called Indoor Air Care in Bloomfield NJ did the same thing to me. It was terrible. I felt so uncomfortable as the man kep hounding me to do additional work for $1000 more. He gave false CDC claims and said my furnace would break down if I didnt.
    i am so upset with this situation. The paint is cracked around my vents and the place is a mess. Stay clear of these scam artists.

12th of Apr, 2009

it took me 5 HOURS to clean up the mess they left.

12th of Apr, 2009

I, too, had a $47.95 coupon - was charged into the thousands, PLUS they damaged my carpet & carpet cleaner - they used it as a VACUUM, thus filling it with metal shavings.

• G7
      29th of Jun, 2009

I am in the middle of filing a complaint against Indoor Air Care as I write this. I had them come out to clean my vents this past April (09). I had their $39.95 coupon that was in the Valupak and I chose them because of their ability to clean air conditioning coils. The week before I had an AC man come out who said that was the reason why I was getting poor air pressure coming out of my vents. The AC man was pushing for me to get an entire new unit, upwards of $2, 500, which is why I chose to have the vents and coils cleaned first. I was at work at the time and my friend was home to let them in to start cleaning the vents. The majority of the work was done while I was still at my office but we had several telephone conversations while they were there, adding additional work to be done. I pretty much had everything they offered outside of the dryer vent cleaned. The vents definitely needed cleaning so they did look much cleaner after vacuuming out. I was, however, surprised that they cut holes, both big and small, throughout all my ductwork but I guessed that's how it's done. They were there about 2-1/2 hours. When I went to use my AC, the air pressure was no better than before they started. Upon calling several other vent cleaning places, they all gasped when I told them how much I ended up paying - $820 - and I stupidly paid in cash. And according to the tech, I was getting a huge break on the price. Having never had this type of work performed before, my thinking was it was a lot of money but I would be getting better air flow which would save on my ac and heat bills, not to mention cleaner air and less dust. The other vent cleaning people said that to do a complete job of cleaning the coils, etc., it would have been a 4-6 hour job of taking it all apart and cleaning them properly. I just called Indoor Air and expressed my complaint and asked to speak to a manager. I was told by a young girl that I should speak with "Brianna" who heads the 'complaint department'. I asked what the manager's name was and was told "Desiree". Aside from sounding like a bunch of barbie dolls running this business, I'm not sure I will get anywhere after having now read all these complaints. I did find out that the tech that came out to do the job was named "Ronnie", who was the one who told me what a great deal I was getting because normally it would be over $1, 000. Hmm... I'm not feeling like I got such a great deal right now. If things are not rectified soon, I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau.

• Pj
      26th of Aug, 2009

I just called these guys to my house after getting this $39.95 coupon in the coupon clipper. When they showed, they immediately started hooking up their hoses and getting ready to start the job. They then inspected the number of registers and additions that were not covered by the coupon and it came to a little over $200. I could live with this and signed off for them to proceed. They then cut wholes in my main return and main out from the AC/Heater. 10 minutes later they came to me and said it was going to be alot more to get the job done right...to the tune of around $900. I said no way. He said the $200 job would not be a good idea and I should do the $900 or nothing. I said then I don't want anything...please leave. This worker "Claude" then got agitated and said he would have to charge me a service fee for coming out. I said, I'm not paying anything because they didn't do anything. I told them to get their stuff out of my house. I then, went down and inspected the holes they cut and I was mortified. Not only did they not do anything, I'm going to have to have someone come out and look at this stuff to make sure this is sealed properly. I asked them again to leave, and "Claude" wanted to collect his service fee. I told him to bill me and good luck with that. At which point he said and I quote, "how about I collect it right now." Now I'm not sure if this is some kind of threat or not...so this is when I called the Police. Yes that's right...and this guy had the balls to stick around and argue with the State Trooper that showed up! I plan on writing letters to the BBB, all 3 credit companies in the event they attempt to ruin my credit, and writing as many online reviews of what happened here. This company is horrible.

• Tw
      12th of Dec, 2009

I had this company come out to my house this morning. We were given a window of 7am-9am. This guy shows up 7am on the dot, minus his crew. I knew the $39.95 coupon was too good to be true. After inspecting my house, the guy started rattling off additional fees for access pannels and because I had 1 large return, that was extra. My husband pointed out how this was false advertisement and when he called to set up the appointment, he was very clear to the woman that he was only paying for the service stated on the coupon and she agreed. He declined to have the service done and dismissed the guy. I kinda felt bad for him, I bet he deals with irrate customers all the time. I think this is why he shows up alone first because chances are that almost every call he goes on, the customer declines. He did agree the coupon is misleading and agreed we should call the company and complain.