U-Haul / dangerous and undependable

Every time I (or my family) has used Uhaul we have had major problems. First, the uhaul truck unexpectedly died, luckily we got off the highway before the truck stopped dead with no warning. Second, towing a trailer from central Oregon to just north of San Francisco, we drove for 2 hours and when we stopped to get gas we found the tread of the trailer tires peeling off in large chunks. When we went to a nearby uhaul dealer they said we would have to unload and then reload a new trailer. Two hours later, after several confrontations, we got the tires changed. And the third is the best.in mid September, I was towing a trailer from Austin, TX to Sonoma County, CA. No more than 45 minutes outside of Austin the trailer detached from the hitch (not installed by uhaul) on the car and I managed to come to a safe stop but the trailer wedged itself under the car and I was unable to move forward to get off the road (to a safer place). I had bought the insurance with the trailer and as I left the uhaul store I was given a brochure that said call this uhaul hotline if you have problems and we'll help you get back on the road. Of course, when I called the hotline they put us on hold and then said we'll call you back in 30 minutes. They called right back to test the phone number and then never called back. I got a call two days later from the insurance company with a claim number. The positive side of the story is that some very kind men stopped and helped us. With their help we were back on the road within the hour. Thankfully strangers stopped to help because uhaul and their help hotline were useless. I know there are few companies to choose from when you need to move your belongings, but I would against renting from uhual.in my experience, there is a good chance the uhaul vehicle you would be driving or towing is barely road worthy and in the event you need assistance you cannot count on uhaul in my experience.

Nicole
Santa Rosa, CA

Ni

Comments

• Va
      10th of Jan, 2007

My rip off will top all of these combined!! I am a nurse, and was moving from Canada to Florida. I was pregnant, so did not feel well enough to travel in a bumpy truck the whole way with my other 4 kids and husband; we decided to keep our items in storage until we got settled!! BIG MISTAKE.........

First of all, we were promised a ground level storage unit; when we arrived, we had a top level!! My husband and friend had to move all my heavy furniture up to this level without help, as we didnt bring additional help for a ground level unit!! Shelly was useless, rude, argumentative, and did not care what I was promised. We proceeded to move our items in. This was approx $30,000.00 worth of furniture, jewellry, and personal effects.

There came a time over the holidays where I forgot to send in my payment. They called me in Florida to remind me, and I assured them it would be sent promptly. Shelly (the useless one) told me not to worry, as my belongings were not pending auction. Next I knew, my mother received a letter (regular mail, NOT CERTIFIED) in Canada, even though they knew my contact info in Florida and called me there several times. The letter stated my belongings were scheduled for auction!! I called Shelly, and was told again it was an error and I had nothing to worry about. I assured her that payment was sent, and that was the end of conversation...or so I thought.

I received another telephone call from Shelly to confirm they did receive my payment, but because it was drawn on a US check they could not confirm funds, and they were going to auction my furniture and personal belongings!! THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THE UNIT!!!! They also knew I would not have time to send an alternate form of payment.

I never received one piece of mail, certified or otherwise, to advise me of this. Included in this unit were personal suggestive photographs of myself, financial documents, including SIN documents, a big screen TV, my engagement ring valued at $4500.00, furniture, expensive name brand clothing for myself, husband and 4 kids, all pier one and the like frames, flower arrangements, photos of my babies with bare bottoms, tastefully done (but you dont want those in the wrong hands when it comes to your children with the sickos in this world!!) all top of the line that it took me a lifetime up to now to acquire & purchase. I would guess the minimum value as $30,000.00...probably more.

I contacted my brother, who went to U haul on auction day. He offered to give them the payment in cash in exchange for the check I sent, as he knew the check was good. That way, the payment would be cleared up, and my items would be mine. Shelly (the useless one) told my brother that he was too late; it was now 1102 am and the auction (although it had not started) was scheduled for 1100 am.

They refused his payment and opted for the items instead...the only bright (for their benefit, of course) thing they had done while I dealt with them!! When that failed, my brothers girlfriends father (confusing, I know!!), his soon to be father in law, who barely knows me, attempted to attend the public auction. His intent was to buy my stuff, therefore having paid the bill, and return it to me. He was refused entry to the auction.

Ultimately, my items were sold for $867.00........the flowers on my dining table and a few picture frames alone would have covered that price!! My sentimental items & keepsakes from trips were sold, some pictures were returned after being torn from the frames, which were sold, the suggestive pics were never returned, nor were the other private documents. They never returned my payment check to me either.

It has been expressed to me by several people that the employees themselves wanted, and subsequently had someone purchase my items, for themselves. They were beautiful items, right down to my fashionista clothes!! I will never get over this; it caused difficulties with my pregnancy, depression/anxiety, and left permanent scars.

My children's keepsakes and personal items are all gone; things given to them by grandparents who have since passed, things that cant be replaced. I would love legal help and recovery not only for my items, but for the emotional turmoil all of my family has been through. Not to mention where my private pics got to.

Any assistance greatly appreciated, but please NEVER EVER EVER STORE ANYTHING WORTHWHILE AT U HAUL!!! TRUST ME, THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO GET THEIR MINIMUM WAGE MAKING, LOW CLASS, GRUBBY HANDS ON THEM!!!!!

• Va
      12th of Feb, 2007

Rented a 24 foot moving truck which broke down 5 times. Finally Uhaul decided to tow the truck and car hauler from Columbus to Cleveland OHIO.

The truck caught fire while being towed, then uhaul lied about the contents being impounded by the State Highway Patrol. The Wednesday before Christmas Uhaul's insurance adjuster gave me two days to remove the damaged contents from the truck or they were being disposed of. Also they put charges on my credit card of almost $400.00 due to the fact that after the fire they misplaced the car hauler and conveniently charged the week it took them to find it to me. I also had to pay for a storage unit for the truck's contents (on their property). To this day, I have not received a phone call , a letter, an offer of settlement or even an apology from them. They really do suck, feel free to google uhaul on the web. Rent anywhere but uhaul, unless you love having burned, damaged things, a large headache, and attorney bills.

• To
      5th of Apr, 2011

YEA UHAUL IS NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF DOPEHEADS RENTING AND SELLING EQUIPMENT THAT IS NOT SAFETY INSPECTED, THERE RETAILERS SALE THE EQUIPMENT THEN REPORT IT STOLEN SO THAT EVEN WITH A BILL OF SALE YOUR [censor]ED!!! BECAUSE UHAUL HAS EMPLOYEES THAT DRIVE AROUND IN UHAUL VEHICLES THERE ONLY JOB IS TO TRESSPASS, BREAK INTO, AND JUST STEAL ANYTHING THAT THE COMPANY CAN MAKE A BUCK ON!!! THEN THEY TELL YOU THAT UHAUL DOES NOT SALE THERE EQIPMENT! LOL EVEN THOUGH ITS AUCTIONED ONLINE! I IN JULY 2007 I BOUGHT AN OLD UHAUL CAR DOLLY FROM A FRIEND, HE HAD BOUGHT THE DOLLY IN 2004 FROM A UHAUL RENTAL REP. WELL LAST WEEK THE DOLLY WAS STOLEN OUT OF MY YARD. I MADE A POLICE REPORT CHECKED WITH THE NEIGHBORS, NO LEADS, I JUST HAPPENED TO ASK THE NAPA DEALER DOWN THE STREET IF THEY MIGHT HAVE SAW SOMEONE STEAL IT. HUH HE SAID, FUNNY BUT THERE WAS A UHAUL TRUCK AT THE CORNER STOPPED AND THEN WHEN HE DROVE BACK BY HE HAD A DOLLY ATTACHED. I DID SOME CHECKIN MADE A COUPLE CALLS AND FOUND OUT THAT UHAUL BROKE INTO MY PROPERTY, TRESSPASSED, DAMAGED MY BELONGINGS AND STOLE MY CAR DOLLY THAT I HAVE HAD LEGALLY OBTAINED. AND HAVE BILL OF SALE! AFTER CALLING THE REP SAYS THEY DON'T SALE UHAUL, LIAR, LIAR, LIAR, THEN HE SAID WELL WE DON'T SALE DOLLYS, HHHMMMMMMM SO I CHECK ONLINE FIND ADD SAYS FOR SALE OLDER UHAUL CAR DOLLY $900.00 MISSING FENDER BUT MY BUDDY THE UHAUL GUY CAN GET ME ANOTHER IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE! HMMMM WATCH OUT PEOPLE UHAUL SCAM THERE REPS SALE EQUIPMENT THEN THEY DRIVE AROUND TO STEAL IT FROM YOU!!! UHAUL SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED BY THE GOVERNMENT, OR CHANGE THERE NAME TO MADEOFFS! CAUSE THERE NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF CROOKS ALL I CAN SAY IS YOU STARTED IT UHAUL! MAY YOU BURN IN HELL