Tuff Shed & Home Depot / buyer beware

Buyer beware!!! If you're planning on having any work done by a company called tuff shed through your local home depot, or even tuff shed directly, do your homework and make sure you're not getting a substandard subcontractor and their unqualified help (Which by the way their website say's they don't use those but oh yes they do!) you'll be left with a custom cabin that is nothing short of a custom nightmare with it's crooked walls, crooked foundation, broken truss, leaky roof that creates a huge mold issue, shingles falling off, bucked roof, wavy hardie plank siding, crooked floors, rickety staircase, and oh my the list does go on. They started work on our cabin 11-26-07 and said it would take about 3-5 days initially.. Yes that left us scratching our heads.. But then were told it'd take about 2 weeks because afterall it was a shell.. It's now june 2, 2008 and our cabin still isn't fixed correctly and we are left unable to completely finish out the inside of our cabin. After the first subcontractor did such a horrible job, and 3 attempted "repair" jobs which just made the problems worse, tuff shed finally sent a second crew of capable contractors out here to repair the problems and what was supposed to be a 4 day job turned into 8 long weeks and there are still problems that can't be fixed because it was done so bad in the first place. We've still got wavy siding and bows in the outer walls (Exterior framed walls crooked) still have an unlevel upstairs floor, have a post that sits off the front of the porch by a good 2"because the contractor that had to come fix the shoddy work of the first subcontractor they sent out here said the only way to fix it was to rip the whole porch off and start from scratch. Our foundation, we've got several piers that are leaning and crooked on a load bearing wall.. They had an"engineer"come out to render his thoughts on the situation and he gave them a report on it, which I was told on 4 separate occasions they were going to get that report to me but surprise they never did and when I put them on the spot for it, they conveniently didn't have it with them. Guess what else we've still got a problem with.. Mold.. Yes, mold. We had the state health agency out here to look at the problem initially and do air sample tests which came back moderately eleveated, but the tuff shed person in the longview office lied and said it was less than a 2% contamination.. When I talked to the state agency they said the ts guy wasn't given any percentages and that it didn't go by percentages.. The agency told them the entire roof decking and all had to go, trusses were to be scrubbed down to clean good wood, cellulose insulation had to be reblown on entire tainted area, etc. They were given a protocol to follow by the state health agency and did they follow it? Of course not! We still have a mold issue, tuff shed has had their reps out here off and on and know there was a problem but they didn't seem concerned and still don't. They have done nothing but lie to us, deceive us, and take every cheap alternate route they could find to get out of doing something right and saving a few bucks here and there. I even had a higher up in the tuff shed chain come to our property to assess the cabin and he wanted to know why didn't we call someone before things got any worse than they were and I looked at him and said I did call someone, I called you and you told me you were going to be out within 2 weeks and here it is over 2 months later you finally decide to show up. Yes they did replace our carpet, and furniture, but not without a knock down drag out having to take place to make it happen. They were trying to get"the best price possible"for what they were having to replace and were delaying it as much as they could. Home depot has had one of their reps out here, nice man but haven't really had much success with that either. When these tuff shed people were told what had to be done with the mold removal, they had direct instructions on what to do, afterall they said they were able to do it, rather than send a remediation specialist in to do the job right. They had full instructions and still didn't do it the way it was told to be done and in the process they ruined our brand new carpet, our furniture and several of our other personal belongings. We're still in the process of duking it out with these people because rather than fix the entire mold problem, they're still looking at the cost and they just want to fix a few of the molded trusses.. We were also told that with that happening, the remediation specialist can't sign off on our cabin, we can't get a 100% mold remediation certificate to verify that our cabin is free and clear of any and all mold that was here, which means our insurance won't cover any future problems that could arise, and if we ever decided to sell, it would be near impossible. We've been more than patient and worked with these people to allow them time to fix the problems and they have failed in every way humanly possible. If you are considering doing business with these people, please make your choice wisely.. If you want a cabin, take your idea to a reputable contractor and tell them what you're looking for and let someone who has the credentials to back up their work do the job. I'm sorry I know there's some rambling but just trying to cover all bases and make all aware. After all has been said and done, we're still having to fight with them and they are still trying to squirm out of doing the right thing and are being jerks about the whole issue just because they're ready to"put it to bed". These people have made our lives a living hell on earth and it hasn't ended yet. They have turned our lives upside down and we are not willing nor for one second are we going to be swept under the rug. Make certain you do your homework on whoever is doing your work, make a daily account of the goings on no matter what they are and take pictures of everything!! That's one thing that is going to help us, we've got over 521 pictures documented, 2 notebooks full of documentation of daily accounts, eye witnesses to the shoddy work that has been done, and the living conditions we were being subjected to because of these people and their severely gross negligence. We won't even do business at hd anymore because they represent these people.. Consider yourself forewarned.

Comments

• Ge
      28th of Nov, 2012

The company is nothing more than a sales outfit, cashing your check before they do the work and then have to live up to their commitments.

• Ft
      12th of Sep, 2013

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS POOR EXCUSE OF A COMPANY IN ONTARIO CA. I WISH I WOULD HAVE JUST GOTTEN A SHED FROM HOME DEPOT. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND NOR USE TUFF SHED FOR ANYTHING EVER AGAIN.

• Ri
      8th of Jul, 2014

I feel your pain. This company should be out of business. And to have Home Depot backing them has not been a help in my case. A custom building was ordered and there have been nothing but problems that they refuse to address. Like it not passing inspection!!
    I too have the same leaking roof and all the insulation and drywall will have to be ripped out. We need to do a class action.
    I feel for anyone who goes through the nightmare and stress we are going through.

• Ri
      8th of Jul, 2014

I have every problem you have except the furniture and carpet. It was bad from day one and when I tried to stop the install because they shipped the wrong design I was told too bad- check was cashed - I should have called Home Depot that day and demanded a refund and Had them take the junk back.
    Time for a class action. This company needs to be out of business.

• Rd
      14th of Oct, 2014

I would like to say that I have had worse customer services
    experience but I can’t. Long story short I would never buy or suggest to
    someone I like to buy a tuff shed. Around every interaction the company tired
    to mislead or flat-out lie to me. I would have taken them to court but for a
    $3, 000 shed seemed to not be worth the time nor the added grief. After 2 months
    of emails and phone calls I finally gave up on having my issues corrected. Largest
    of which they built my shed on my concrete patio and cracked it right down the
    middle. I was told all concrete cracks and the 3, 500 pound shed didn’t cause
    it. You might be asking why did they build the shed on the patio, well because the
    measurements the sales person took were wrong and caused them to build it to
    move it back under the deck…they also damaged the siding when moving the shed
    back under my deck…GM told me there was no way they caused the damage to the
    bay window that sits 9 feet over the patio…(Shed was 9 feet tall) if that was
    the only problem I might have gotten over it but the other all shed is also a
    pile of boards and nails.

Some items that I find with the quality of my shed and how
    it was installed:

The shed leaked within two weeks of being installed
    and damaged the floor.

In less than a month I already have two roof
    shingles come unglued and pop-up

The large door frame has many sections where the
    cripple studs don’t even touch the door header

The large door itself is not level, leaving a
    large opening into the shed and the doors not to lineup

Many of the nails holding the plywood didn’t hit
    the studs ( I found over 78 nails missed their target)

The newly
    installed door trap was installed two different ways on the doors

Because the shed was moved into place after it
    was put together the shed is not level causing the door to swing shut and flex
    in the flooring

Do yourself a favor and don’t deal with these people…there
    are many other companies that can do the job and do it right. I didn’t do my research
    and I am paying for it.

• Gr
      12th of Sep, 2018

I bought a Tuff Shed a couple of years ago. I was happy with the installation and cost, but shortly thereafter half of the shingles fell off of one side. There's a warranty and someone came out and fixed them. This year several more fell off the same side. This time when I called, they insisted that it must have been storm damage. (It wasn't, there were no storms around the time they fell off). I told them that, and they said "that's your opinion". Which sounds rather nasty and unprofessional. So, beware the warranty that doesn't hold for the full 5 years as stated. Note that I'm in Lincoln Nebraska and the Tuff Shed outfit here is located in Omaha; that's where this particular nasty person works.

• Mu
      18th of Dec, 2018

We had same problem with our $8, 000 Tuff Shed! Horrible costumer service and we bought it through our local Tuff shed store. Rude, didn’t follow through, didn’t give us the product we ordered and then refused to refund for stuff they didn’t add that we had special ordered like more expensive windows and doors... fraud all around and the contractors they sent to build it didn’t put our shed together right- door doesn’t close or seal, windows are sticking out, the deck is attached to the house when we had asked for it to be separate so we could remove it if needed... they treated us so terribly when we asked for stuff to be fixed after spending our life savings on it... refused to send out people to fix the problems. Even got threatening calls from the boss... intimidating women and asking to only speak to the man of the house since it’s a mans job... horrible people and company!! Will never recommend them to anyone!! Stay away! Ours is covered in mold as well and all our interior work is ruined... no help from Tuff shed. The warranty is a joke!

Thanks!