Tripmate / poor service

United States Review updated:

I purchased trip insurance with Trip Mate. We were in a car accident in St. Lucia, and when I called to report the accident I had to leave a message. They did not call me back, and when I got in touch with them stated, "we don't make phone calls outside the US, " as the reason for not calling me back! Now I have filed multiple claims with them, multiple times, and have waited for over a month to receive an answer regarding my medical claims. When I call them, I am told, "it is in the final stages of review." That is NOT helpful! I have paid a lot of money for medical services out of pocket and was expecting to receive the money back, due to the way the policy was written, as well as the fact that some of my medical bills have been paid. I need answers, and payment of my medical bills. I would recommend that people are WARNED not to use Trip Mate insurance if they expect money for trip interruption, medical expenses, or any kind of decent customer service.

Be
Mar 01, 2013

Comments

•   Mar 08, 2013

Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us on the phone about your claim. We are sorry to hear both about the accident and that you are unhappy with the claims process afterward. We aim to provide peace of mind with our travel insurance policies and want to make sure your issues are addressed.

As we discussed on the phone, our records indicate the first payment was made on your claim in March of 2012. We are not able to make payments without complete information, however, and itemized bills with matching Explanations of Benefits are needed for review of medical bills. We apologize if we caused any stress by requesting additional information, but it is necessary to ensure the correct amounts are paid to you and the medical suppliers.

We would appreciate your telling us which phone number you used to call our office when you were in St. Lucia. Our toll-free phone number does not have an answering machine. Instead, our after-hours service provider answers all phone calls made after regular business hours, and they are able to make and receive international phone calls. Again, please let us know which phone number you called so that we can further investigate this situation.

As we outlined in the correspondence sent with your benefit check, there are some charges for prescriptions for which we need additional information. If we can do anything else to assist you in obtaining these documents, we will be happy to do so. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,