Toys r us / fake sales

1 Fort Collins, CO, United States Review updated:

Went to Toys R Us to shop the Buy 1 Lego Set Get 1 Lego Set for 50% Off Sale. Before I went I looked up all the prices for the items I was interested in for my kids on the lego.com website. I made a list and took this with me to the store. Toys R Us marked up all the Legos $1.50 - $10 over the MSRP the day before the sale began. So it is a non-sale. All the stocking stuffer Lego sets that should be $3.49 each were $4.99 each. So instead of costing $3.49 + 1.75 = 5.25 for 2 sets it ends up costing 4.99 + 2.50 = 7.49 a full 50 cents more than purchasing it from Lego.com. That is just an example. I went to purchase 10 lego sets and left without 8 sets. I purchased the only 2 sets that TRU Did not mark up and ordered the rest online from Lego.com. Over $99 shipping is free and if you spend over $35 you get $5 off using the coupon code (SP118) So tell all your friends to skip TRU for legos this year. It is a FAKE SALE. I asked the manager to match the price of Lego and they said "We don't do that"

They are really shooting themselves in the foot. I have no doubt they are loosing a fortune in sales due to these practices.

Comments

• To
      12th of Dec, 2008

This is nothing new to Toys R Us. In 2006 my wife and I were living in Florida when all of the Toys R Us' were closing down (as they were restructuring their franchise). Their markdown sales would start at 10% leading to an eventual 75% and then 90% and then take what can stuff in a bag and pay a $1.00 on your way out (the last day). We kept a close eye on the items we wanted so that we could possibly wait until the last moment to buy. Their sales started out almost legit on the first day. However, when they began running 25% and above off, they began raising the prices of their merchandise. This usually equalled original price or barely 10% below. By the time it had reached 75%, prices were marked up by as much as 50% in some cases. Harvest Moon (video game) began selling at 19.99, but by the 70% mark, went up to 29.99. Toys R Us hired a handful of strategists to price their going out of business sales. It looks as if they kept some of them on board... This is the same strategy played by Kohls and other "Always on sale" stores. They've already begun raising prices in anticipation of Chistmas. I believe a lot of stores will begin using the same tactics this Christmas as they realize they can't afford sales.

Should be a law against sale fraud and deceiving customers...

• Re
      8th of Feb, 2009

Buying from LEGO will more than likely be cheaper because you are buying it directly from them and cutting out the middle man (TRU). Toys R Us is put out to make business not come out even.