Toshiba Laptop / poor after sales service

1 India Review updated:

I bought my Toshiba Laptop-Satellite AS 80in April 2005. SInce the very first day it had the problem of connecting to internet through the modem. WIthin a month its CD-ROM stopped functioning and I had to wait for more than 2 months for its replacement. I hoped that with the replacement, the machine will be perfectly fine and will not bother me any more. But after a few weeks, a strange metallic sound started coming from the bottom whenever the laptop used to heat up and the cooling fan was on. I told about this to the authorised service centre people in Jaipur, who refused to accept that there can be any such problem in the machine. Just to get the machine checked, I took it to the service centre from Jodhpur to Jaipur. That day they told me that they have severed the links from Toshiba and they being the HCL outlet will not provide Toshiba support. I was shocked that first they ask me to come to Jaipur and then direct me to go to Noida for customer support.

Still I requested them to atleast take a look at the machine, so that I can atleast anticipate the severity of the flaw in the machine. They again ignored my request without even checking the system and holding that this noise is because of the dust accumulated in the system.

I returned back to Jodhpur and called the Noida office about the same. There I came to know that there has been no severence between Toshiba and HCL and they emphatically told me that service will be available in Jaipur. I called Jaipur and they replied with the lamest excuse saying that there was a misunderstanding about a policy issue. This is ridiculous! I could not understand the situation. But now when I look back at the events that followed, it occurs to me that all that drama was to avoid providing service during the warranty period.

And in the meanwhile the warranty expired. In April 2006, I took my laptop to Mumbai service point. There my experience was the most horrible of all. I was told that the warranty expired just two days back and they refused to consider my case that I came from Jodhpur. Still I agreed to pay for the service. I told them repeated ly about the problem of noice but their the whole setup was so rigid and bureaucratic that not only they were very slow in attending the customers but they were probably not competent enough work in such a big organisation.

I mean, for every single question of the customer, the junior engineer was going inside to mandatorily take the opinion of his senior. And the customer was made to sit in a small room, waiting for his return. There, I met people who were waiting for more than four hours and were not yet attended even once. This is the limit of incompetence.

I still gave my laptop hoping that the problem will be daignosed and fixed. In return they gave me the piece saying that there was some problem with the fan which they have fixed and have serviced the machine. I shelled out more than Rs. 3000 for the whole adventure. Later on my return to Jodhpur, after a few days of usage of machine the same sound started coming again and this time I had no one to complain. I thought that may be this sound is part of the system and is so insignificant a problem that the engineers themselves ignore it as it might be harmless to the system. I kept using the machine and within a few days, the laptop had developed sensitive areas on the keyboard and the area around mouse pad, where if the hand was rested, the system used to hang! And within a few more days, that is presently, the system stopped booting unless it is held in a particular position pressing a particular point on the area near mouse pad. The processing LED doesn't glow in normal positions. The system is hung 24 hours.

I am so much dissatisfied with my Toshiba purchase, that given a chance I would stand and scream to people that buying Toshiba product is inviting troubles as it has proved to be a biggest blunder of my life. I feel ashamed of being associated with Toshiba and HCL.

Comments

17th of May, 2007

I am facing the same problem with my Toshiba Tecra S2. The machine does not start unless i press the left corner near the touch pad. even then the machine restarts again 3 - 4 times and then starts working. additionally, the machine hangs without any warning any time.

17th of May, 2007

Dear Shard,

I completely disagree with you. I have purchased two toshiba laptops from Jodhpur - Rishabh Markeint, ishop of Toshiba at Jodhpur. Fist laptop was purchased for my self in 2005 same is still working in perfect condition, second was purchased in nov 2006 for my son studying in MBM Jodhpur. I am more then satisfied with the services of Rishabh Marketing at Jodhpur. My laptop adapter was burned and i was in Jaislmer i called Mr. Ravi Sancheti of Rishabh Marketing and told him about my problem and urgent need of the machine, the guy was so generous and helpful that he arranged for a stand - by for me from his stocks and i got the replacement in just 8 days. My son had some virus problem and was not able to boot his machine he had some very important documents in his laptop. This time also the support from Mr. Ravi was so good that he himself sat with his engineers till 11 pm and got all the information needed from the laptop and next day we got the laptop in perfectly working condition. I have further upgraded my laptop with 1 GB of RAM and a dual DVD Writer, every thing was readily available at their shop. I think that you must have not purchased the laptop from Rishabh Marketing, else you wont have faced such type of issues .