Toshiba / won't honor their warranty

United States Review updated:

I just want to advise anyone purchasing a computer from Toshiba. They will look for anything to get out of their warranty.

I purchase the laptop from CompUSA, Anchorage Alaska in 2005.

Within a year, the motherboard died. They claimed there was liquid damage to it, there was not, there was a little surface stain by a speaker.

CompUSA looked at it and they said there was no liquid damage.

CompUSA fixed it.

Then the fan went out. CompUSA fixed that too.

Now the motherboard and the hard drive have died.

Come to find out they are having a lot of problems with the Quosimo's because they are over heating and the warranty on that model is still on. They still will not honor the warranty on it. With CompUSA going out of business, I'm in trouble.

I have been through 2 motherboards, a hard drive and a fan so far.

I will never buy another Tosiba product again and I will always tell anyone who is buying an electronic device to stay away from Toshiba.

I will put a plug in for CompUSA in Alaska. Where Toshiba has failed to honor their word, CompUSA has gone out of their way to fix our laptop. They may never see this but grats to you CompUSA.
Va

Comments

Ka
  1st of Oct, 2008
You are right, I also experienced worst service experience of Toshiba.

Here is my experience:-

Within 3 months of purchasing TOSHIBA Portege M600 Notebook from HCL (under 3 year extended global warranty for which extra money is paid), inner layer of LCD screen broken while doing usual work, without any mishandling.

When I contacted service centre of TOSHIBA at JAIPUR (HCL Infosystems Ltd), they asked to pay Rs. 26, 000/- towards cost of replacing LCD. I contacted HCL and TOSHIBA, requested for technical investigation of notebook to find the cause of damage (LCD screen may be broken by technical defects also).

HCL concluded the matter saying " FOC replacement is subject to approval of TOSHIBA". Toshiba concluded the matter saying “mishandling as cause of damage without any technical investigation of notebook". Toshiba is not interested to find out the cause of damage as they seems to be prejudiced.

Thanks
Ka
  23rd of Nov, 2014
I also agree,

I live in Canada, and bought a Toshiba through a local store, which came with a one month in store warranty and a 1 year Toshiba manufactures warranty. The computer within the first month or two, started having software issues so I returned it to the store and they fixed it for me, worked fine after that. Then a month later, I went to turn it on... and nothing.. The toshiba sign came on for about 3 seconds and then everything went black (including the little light that shows its charging)... and then I heard this snapping like wires shorting out. I always keep my computer in a case and I hadn't used it in about a week when I turned it on. So I returned it to the store and they called me back the next day saying I would be better off calling Toshiba and using my warranty. So I did so, and Toshiba said and I quote " Where you purchased the computer in Canada, and it is a US model, unless you have a PO BOX in the states, you can't send it over to us and we can't deem it unfixable until our technicians look at it." So basically they said I was out of luck. So I called the store again and they were willing to replace my Toshiba with a different brand of computer, same quality. I don't see how they can say they have a one year warranty when nothing was stated on the warranty about me not being able to send it to them because I'm in Canada.

Toshiba Corporation Logo Toshiba Corporation