TJX / T.J. Maxx / customer service/profiling/rude employees

1 Paducah, KY, United States

I have been a faithful TJ Maxx shopper for many years. I went to my local TJ Maxx on Tuesday(10-9-18) to find a carry-on suitcase for my husband. I was browsing the make-up aisle and I noticed they had Stila liquid eye shadow. I opened the box to see what color it was because the color was not visible and was yelled at by the lady working the dressing room to not open boxes. I asked her how I was supposed to see what color the eye shadow was. She told me I had to take each make-up box to the cashier and have the cashier open it. I have bought TONS of make-up from TJ Maxx over the years and have never been told this. She yelled all of this to me from about 15 feet away in the dressing room. I picked out a few eye shadows I would like to see and picked out a suitcase and I got in the check out line. Once I was there, I asked the cashier to see a manager. The manager told me that yes, it is their policy to not allow customers to open make-up boxes. I asked her why there was no signage stating this policy. She said they are not allowed to post a sign. WHAT? That is your store policy but you can't post a sign? Instead you have employees yell at your customers? I had the manager open the 3 boxes of liquid eye shadow but I only ended up buying one. The cashier next to mine made to sure to tell my cashier that she needed to open the suitcase and check the inside. I was livid at this point. There was a security tag on the zipper so you could not even un-zip it and put stolen merchandise in it like the cashier was insinuating. If my husband did not need a suitcase for a trip the next day, I would have left without spending a dime. I won't be back any time soon.

Ad