Thrifty Car Rental / illegal charges for loss of use

Thrifty Car Rental
Warning to all that have the misfortune to have an accident in a rental car owned by Thrifty. In Albuquerque New Mexico in the Summer 2008 I had such a misfortune. Bottom line, in New Mexico and several other states which follow the NAAG (National Association of Attorney Generals) guidelines, a rental company cannot charge Loss of Use that is not proportion to their local fleet usage rates. Thrifty charged 100% (fleet usage around 75%) and did so based on a fictitious body shop labor day of five hours instead of the industry standard of eight.

After several months of obfuscation from Thrifty, I am now forced to file a law suit to have them honor the law. If anyone has a similar situation and would like to participate in a class action suit, please leave a response to this post. Thank You.

A  10th of Feb, 2009 by
I am having a bad experience too with Dollar Rental, which I think is owned by the same company, DTG (Dollar Thrifty Group). They are trying to get me to pay $481 for loss of use and I havent seen any documentation whatsoever -- dont know how many days that is, etc. I am supposed to get the documentation in the mail, so we'll see what it says. I am sure it will be some generic formula or other. I rented in Florida. I would love to learn more about what they can and cannot do, and would be interested in participating in a class action suit if possible
A  14th of Feb, 2009 by
If enough people have a similar interest in a class action lawuit, I will post an email address.

Yes, Dollar is part port of DTG. DTG really has no ethics in this type of matter. They use a one size fits all, 100% Loss of Use (LOU) charge approach though many states expressly prohibit this approach. I pointed this out to them and they simply went into denial and obfuscation mode.

Find out what Florida law is, and be sure you fight them. They will try to intimidate you by threatening collections and by quoting generic laws that may not be relevant to Florida. Rentals are down and LOU is now turning into another revenue stream for them.
A  22nd of Feb, 2009 by

I just had a similar experience in Texas. I rent a car that car was sold during my rental so they brought me another more expensive car without the correct documentation. To my demise, the "new" vehicle got stolen but when the LE found the car there was nothing wrong but they could not release the car to me because I didn't have the correct paperwork. When they exchanged cars, they just scratched out the vehicle number and replaced it with the "new" vehicle number so the LE wouldn't let me pick up the car. So the local office was called to pick up the car because the keys and everything was intact. This incident occurred on Oct 25, 2008. I went to rent another car from them in January and was advised I still owed 250.00 towards the past rental. When I was finally given the final bill they had charged my CC a total fee of 551.00 that also included a key and towing fee. I asked why wasn't I notified of this transaction before Jan 4, 2009 and they said they don't send out a letter of deduction. I have been talking with their "security" department for two months now and still they will not adjust the fee. So now I have to get the police report that states the keys were handed to the personal at the local office and there wasn't any damaged to the windshield (chips). They have also requested that I send them another payment of 250.00 to avoid having this incident on my credit file. This "fraud" totals $465.00 on my account. (Payments made for a $460.00 rental car rental have been paid of $676.00 plus an outstanding balance of $250.00)
This must stop!

Tired of the BS in San Antonio, Texas 2/22/2009
A  22nd of Apr, 2009 by
I had the same problem with a Thrifty rental in Nashville, TN

charged for loss of use for a car rental accident that was not my fault.

Thrifty Rent A Car Logo Thrifty Rent A Car