The Arizona Republic Newspaper / subscription offer

1 200 E VanBuren StPhoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 602-444-8000

On 10/26/10, a salesman outside Safeway Market on Bell Road in Sun City offered a trial offer for the Arizona Republic paper for weekends at $11.92 for 3 months, receiving a $10.00 Safeway giftcard. He presented this offer as a ONE-TIME charge, not as a monthly charge that couldn't be cancelled upon request. I said I wasn't able to read the small print on the receipt that I was asked to fill in address and initial. I was surprised to find another debit from my checking account for $13.42 on 11/22/10, calling the paper to ask why, finding I'd be charged monthly, unable to cancel until January 26, 2011. This was not as presented by their sales representative, taking advantage of senior citizens entering the grocery store. Maybe I should have been suspicious when the offer seemed so good, but expected honesty on the part of a newspaper.

Comments

• Wi
      19th of Feb, 2011

Same thing happened to me, signing up for only 29 weeks and prepaying the fee, to a salesman inside the Safeway in Prescott Valley. I did NOT renew nor continue The Republic subscription after 29 weeks(the time period the salesman told me that I'd receive the Sunday paper for).
    They use their own collections process, thinking they will obtain a subscription from me by extortion having their collector calling me very often every day. I just ignore that number: 602-903-5357(United Collection Agency) and have it bad ring-tone assigned. Extortion and fraud don't work with me, never have.
    I don't receive that newspaper and will never sign up for any 'supermarket' subscriptions, again. If I want to read the Sunday paper, I can pick it up a quarter mile from where I live.