Telus Mobility / billing and harassment after cancellation

1 Canada Review updated:

After being talked into trying multiple 'plans' with Telus Mobility, none of which reduced the monthly cost compared to a landline, I called in July and cancelled my account.

When I got yet another statement in August, I called twice that month and was told I was supposed to talk with a 'cancellation team' and that telling the customer service agent I reached after waiting in a 'cue' for about 30 minutes was insufficient to cancel my account.

When I paid my July statement in August, however, I was charged a $30 'reconnection fee', which I questioned since I was told the account wasn't cancelled.

I have also received statements in September and August although I haven't used my cell phone since July.

The Telus Mobility representative I dealt with during one to two calls in August literally had me in tears and at that point I literally had to ask him to pull me in contact with the 'cancellation team' in order to cancel my cell phone service.

I haven't used my cell phone since July, but the company will be referring my account to a collection agency and affecting my credit rating.

I have had a land line account with Telus for decades. I've never been treated like this by any other service company.

The customer service agents aren't there for customer service; they're marketers trained to technically keep the customer on the hook for more charges.

I have no option but to contact the CRTC about my experience; and I have no doubt that I am not alone. The class action suit regarding the 'Access fee' I've been charged for the years I had my cell phone account are but the tip of the iceberg.

Telus Mobility in my experience is synonymous with corporate coercion and greed.

Comments

13th of Feb, 2008

Your reconnection fee was for non payment because your account was past due. That's the only time they charge you that "fee". I know this because my brother forgot to pay my bill when I was on vacation so my services were disconnected as a result. However, because it was my first time ever late, Telus was gracious enough to waive the reconnection fee.

If you call in July to cancel, you will get a final invoice for the next month because all services providers have advance billing. Also, just like Rogers and Bell, you have to give them with 30 days notice to cancel I think.

9th of Jan, 2009

I absolutely agree with the comment above. Telus' customer service and over billing is getting out of hand. I too think I may just contact the CRTC to lodge a complaint. This is pathetic.

• Al
      18th of Mar, 2009

I have exactly the same story as you. What did you do?

24th of Aug, 2012

I too fell behind two months payments because of vacation etc, I received a nice letter stating if my services are suspended I will be charged a "50$" reactivation fee. This is the first time I've heard a company charging so much to reconnect you when in fact your account is not FULLY cancelled. If my account was cancelled and I wanted to reconnect then I could see a reconnection fee, but just for being suspended?? Rediculus.