TDS Telecom / Poor service!

Every week this company service goes out for days at a time. When I contact them to fi it, or reimburse me for time down, they do not reply nor do anything to fix any of the problems they have created. Jones Oklahoma is monopolized by this "carrier", otherwise I would seek service with another company. How are they allowed to do this ? why is no other company allowed to operate in Jones oklahoma. I do not like being held hostage with lousy ### service. It never works correctly... EVER!!!

Br

Comments

• Vi
      10th of Sep, 2007

I signed up TDS metrocom telephone package advertised as $22 a month on their webpage. When I received my first bill, I am very unhappy to find out there were $6.00 line charge and another $6 tax. I believed that the line was included in their package and that fee was not found anyway at their Ad. page. I called to cancel my service. Hopefully they will refund my next month service that has been billed, as the service was disconnected immediately after the call. If they don't, I will complain to Better Business Bureau. To see the least, TDS metrocom is dishonest. So be careful about their FAT HIDDEN FEE.

• Re
      3rd of Oct, 2007

Taken directly from TDS Metrocom's web site:

'Prices apply to residential service only, and do not include FCC, Universal Service Fund, 911, local, state or federal taxes.'

• Da
      4th of Oct, 2007

sounds like you don't know anything about the 1996 telecom act. tds is totally on the up-and-up. every telecom company charges those fees. tds is just honest enough to invoice them out.

btw, i'm an at&t employee (no bias). they were right in charging you the fees.

• Mo
      13th of Apr, 2009

I have been forced to have TDS Telecom as phone service for 3 years now and I hate hate hate their service..my phone repetely has static, funny noises, breaking up...and a LOT more..I call repair, guy comes out trys to fix it an has even stated he can't figure out where the problem is...all new wire in the house, to the box...then you call customer service and they are rude, have incorrect info and more...AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL and I am DITCHING them and getting cell phones...screw this...they SUCK and rip you OFF

• Sc
      4th of Aug, 2009

Great company with minimal complaints. However, TDS service techs should be required to announce themselves by knocking on the door prior to starting repairs. I came very close to using deadly force because a tech that didn't knock or call, began service on my line which is directly attached to my home by the back door.
    I remain a bit over-vigilant after returning from a long deployment and advise the company to have techs to either call, or knock on the door of the residence requiring assistance prior to performing work.

• Hb
      24th of Aug, 2009

We are also FORCED to us TDS. They blow you off, in recent, shut down the outgoing mail server and if you did not have an email account with them or did have one and did not use it, that was there mode of communication. I dont use the incoming service only the outgoing. I had to set up a gmail account to send any emails out. The techs did not know how to help.

• De
      26th of Aug, 2009

The reason you are forced to use TDS and do not have another carrier of choice is that TDS bought these rural areas in the 60's and 70's and there is not enough population density to attract any other providers.

And HBKA the technicians are there to install service not show you how to use the internet.

• Si
      7th of Oct, 2009

Thats it!!! I do not care if they are the only providers, I am going to my representative and submit my reasons as to why this telecom should NOT BE THE ONLY PROVIDER IN MY AREA. Remember Microsoft, lol, I can use the "Internet Explorer", but can use Yahoo. ### that ###, the only way to change this is going through legislation. Other providers should be able to provide their services to US, and it is our option as a customer if we wanna ### with TDS! LMMFAO!

P.S. My internet service is thorugh TDS, ROTFLMMFAO!

• 26
      2nd of Dec, 2009

I own a small business in Kenosha Wi. Our phones are critical to our business. After listening to a sales pitch from a TDS rep, we agreed to switched from AT&T to TDS to save money. The TDS service tech determined that TDS could not provide DSL service at our location and couldn't change our phone services over from AT&T to TDS. No problem except that TDS cancelled (without our authorazation) our phone service with AT&T resulting in us losing our phones for 2 days and a major loss of business and income. I called TDS 8 times talked to 13 diffrent people trying to get TDS to relase our phone numbers back to AT&T so they could reactivate our phones. I even called the CEO of TDS Dave Wentworth (who never returned my call ) trying to get our phone numbers released back to AT&T. Two days later the AT&T tech was able to restore our main number, our internet service is still down a week later, the AT&T guy said the TDS tech screwed up the lines. TDS is the most worst telecom I've ever worked with. There cutomer support /repair service people are completely incompetent. No matter what TDS promises they can't deliver. DON'T USE TDS TELECOMUNICATION for your phone service, you'll be sorry.

• Mo
      23rd of Jan, 2010

I live Mosinee Wi., another small town phone company bought up recently by tds,
    I've already ordered my dsl to be installed next week, (before finding this), think I'll keep my dialup for a while alongside, if possible, while I see what happens with this new experience.

They have a bundle sale going on that tempted me to splurge on dsl.

• La
      2nd of Mar, 2010

i dont get TDS or live in a county that provides it. but i think the supervisors there need to watch their employees a little closer. a few weeks ago. i seen one of the vans they use sitting at a liqour store with a employee coming out with a bottle in his hand. and that was in the middle of the day. and then a few days later i seen a TDS van drive by my house. Like i said i live in a county in tennessee that doesnt get TDS. So it looks like these employees there are using there vans for personal use. Now i own my own business and i know if i seen one of my employees driving one of my trucks around for his own personal use. not to mention with a liqour bottle with him. he would definately be fired.

• Ug
      4th of Mar, 2010

We are also monopolized by TDS. We have experienced consistent poor customer service. My most recent experience is when a customer service representative incorrectly keyed my account number when making a payment by phone. Two weeks later -- without any notification - our service was interupted. Considering we use our internet/phone service for our jobs, the 4 days we were without service (they verified that we made a payment and it was their mistake -- just took their time, as usual, to complete the repair) was awful. However, that's not the worst of it. In the midst of this, we were getting our telephone number changed. Two days after reactivating service, we lose phone/internet again. Apparently, rather than changing our number, the technician disconnected our service and instead changed the telephone number of our NEIGHBOR!! We only found this out by calling our new number to check and see if it had been changed. UGH!! This was reported to them immediately. We were told at 8am and 3pm that the problem would be fixed that day. By 9pm, the problem was still not fixed and I made yet another call to TDS who refused to send an after hours technician to fix his own mistake!!! We are still without service and I will begin the process of filing multiple formal complaints today. So, at this point, we are at five days and counting of work interrupted by TDS. In this economy, we can't afford to go a week without working. I'm sure this has called multiple problems for my neighbor as well. I'm certain that, as usual, it will be several days before this problem is fixed. I can tolerate mistakes, what I cannot tolerate is TDS's unwillingness to correct them!

3rd of Apr, 2010

TDS is the worst service provider. We got a bundle along with Dish Network and when the internet or TV gets not reception (lately 3-4 times a week) Dish tells us to call TDS and vice versa. Plus TDS has NO customer service on the weekend. We are stuck in a contract and have the worst product and service.

• St
      13th of Apr, 2010

TDS is my only option. I hate them. They are overpriced compared to MediaCom, Charter, etc. Unfortunatly, I can only get service from TDS. The 10MB internet service is no faster than the 3 MB and our phone bill is outrageous for just local service! I'm seriously considering just buying everyone in my home a cell phone and getting satelite internet service and saying screw-it to Dish and going to DirecTV. Our bill went from $110 a month last year to $158 a month over the past 3 months even though we didn't change anything! I was told the only way to get a bundle again is to upgrade our services (which we do NOT need). I hate this company with every bone in my body and wish some competition would come into my area!

23rd of Jun, 2010

TDS (tds.net) cut me off from using newsgroups now without any prior notice nor referral to another service. What a bunch of losers...

• Gi
      24th of Jun, 2010

It is 2010 and things have not changed. TDS Telecom bought out the small family owned company in Deposit NY and the offerings went strait down the commode. As far as them being allowed to do it, it is because these small companies owned the lines, so no other companies are allowed to offer service. Complain about the service and it will get worse, mine has. For a 5M line connection my data snail's in at .13 to 1.~ most of the time, they then raise the level to something really fast like 15M so they can say my average is within guidelines. This is the bright side of this company, they continually drop you from the net and you have to reset their DSL modem 10 times a day OR MORE. They are circular in their rhetoric and always seem to say it's "your" equipment. If you can, I would get a wireless point from Verizon which is just as much money; but limited to 5G per month. If you can avoid this company, do so at all costs.

• Un
      30th of Jun, 2010

I have been a customer of TDS for 11 years and I've had it with their crap! I have been fighting with internet/phone problems since Jan. 2009 they have given me every excuse possible why it doesn't work.

Since Jan 2009 I went through 5 modems they took my good wireless modem replaced with a non wireless modem, so after a short time more problems again so they told me that modem was bad, sent me a new wireless one and than charged me $3.95 a month for it unauthorized, I never agreed to a charge. I asked for a credit and the guy told me if I sign up for a 2 year agreement he will credit me $20...really?
    Our caller ID didn't work for a year, they said our phones were bad, after about 6 calls they finally mysteriously found a problem on their end and fixed it, they gave us a $20 credit...really?

It would take way too long to explain the mas of problems I've had, but here's a summery

1 1/2 years of slow internet/phone trouble
    Nearly 40 trouble tickets
    In one week I was on the phone with their so called "techs" for 11 hours through out the week...yes 11 HOURS!
    5 modems and counting
    Unauthorized fees
    They sent a tech to install a a whole house filter, they said my lines in house were bad they didn't know I replaced them already, they used that excuse on me before, he hooked it up wrong and I had to repair it myself.(it's worse than it was)
    I pay $40 dollars a month and here are my speeds- Download- 1.5 mbps Up- .3 mbps ping is 68 (has been as bad as 103)
    My neighbor lives less then 100ft away and his speeds are( different service $45 per month) 11.5 mbps, 1.47 and ping is 40 1, 000 % better than mine for about the same price...really?

I do not work for a competitor nor am I affiliated, I work at home and can not have slow service, I didn't realize TDS is this slow.
    I might as well be Amish, I could fly a kite faster than their DSL...My advice to anyone is DO NOT GET TDS their service is a joke!!

26th of Sep, 2010

I live just oustide of Mosinee, WI and I recently purcahased tds' 15mb dsl. It can be fast, if its 1:00 AM in the morning and nobody else in the surrounding area is online. Majority of the time i have to put up with 3-8 mb download and .5 mb upload (should be 1mb) and 100ms pings using speedtest.net. This is unacceptable performance for playing online games or watching youtube, and it also causes regular web pages to get stuck so you have to refresh it every 10 sec or so till it finally loads.

I contacted tds support right away about the slow speeds, they told me to reset the modem... blah blah blah... did that and still not fast. So then they say its a capacity issue and that there are too many ppl in the area using the internet. They told me that this problem was being worked on and would be fixed by the end of the month and i would recieve a call confirming it. About a month and a half later i recieve a call from tds saying the problem is not fixed and won't be any time soon. Thanks tds you f***in suck.

26th of Sep, 2010

Here is a speed report proving how slow it can be sometimes. Dont forget this is 15mb download and 1 mb upload supposedly

26th of Sep, 2010

Dont know why that last pic didnt work. hopefully this one does ;)