Target Return/Exchange Policy / never do advance shopping

I used to spend hundreds of dollars a year at the local Target store, but I will be taking my business to one of their competitors now.
I bought a Christmas gift for my child in September of this year.

I kept my receipt for the item. I found out maybe two days before Christmas that a relative bought my child the exact same gift. Not a problem, I thought. I have my receipt, I will just take mine back. Imagine my surprise when I found out my receipt was valid until December 18th.
Target informed me that because I didn't have a receipt (I kept correcting them and telling them I did have a receipt), they would accommodate me by allowing me to exchange my item for another item from the same department (toys). I would gladly have exchanged the toy for other items from the store, but they said that was not allowed.
I have since contacted my relative and asked her for the gift receipt (I didn't want to tell her that I had already bought the same item for my child, but Target forced me to do just that). I will be returning the item and I will now do my shopping at a competitor. Target does not sell anything that I need that I can't get from another major retailer.
I feel that Target should re-examine their return policy. I did not buy a seasonal item. The toy is still being sold at the store. The fact that they do not allow local stores to make exceptions (I missed the "return period" by 8 days when I pulled my receipt out) for non-seasonal items still stocked just shocks me. The local store gave me the Target customer service number and I heard the same message from two different people there. It's their policy and there are no exceptions.
I am telling all my friends about my experience and urging them not to do any advance shopping for Christmas, birthdays, etc. if they do shop at Target.

Va

Comments

4th of Jan, 2007

I bought a gift for my daughter, the price was $169.99. It was broken and I took it back, I did have the receipt but it was over there 90 day return policy. They wanted to only give the clearance price of $48.00 because it was after the 90 days. I was ripped off of $120.00. It clearly stated on a receipt the I had paid $169.99. I will never ever shop at Target again! I will also spread the word to anyone and everyone about the problem. They have lost a lot of money over there poor return policy! Jamie

• Am
      30th of Jun, 2009

Sorry, but a VALID (90 days after purchase) receipt is required for all returns/exchanges in order to get your full amount back. After that point, your receipt doesn't scan in our system and there's no way to use it. We can do store credit, but it automatically goes to the lowest sale price and there's no way to change that.

Sorry for your bad experiences, but the 90 day policy is quite clear on the receipt and in the store.

• Pl
      29th of Aug, 2010

I really don't see a problem with Target. All stores have return policies. Where I work at JCP it is also a 90-day return policy.