Target / target's poor return/exchange policy

1 Columbus, OH, United States Review updated:

I purchased a Dirt Devil vacuum at a local Target store on 02.28.08.

This vacuum, although it works well, breaks belts about once a week. I have had other vacuums over the past 30 years that I or my wife have used in exactly the same way and with the same frequency, and we have never had this problem.

When it broke its most recent belt the other day, I decided to return it. What I would like is another vacuum, or to be reimbursed for the cost of the vacuum I bought only 3.5 months ago, which is nearly useless.

Unfortunately, Target has refused to allow me to return or exchange it, because we are 2 weeks past the 90 day limit on their receipt.

This is a mistake on Target's part, because I will never buy anything that costs more than a few dollars from Target again, I will avoid shopping at Target whenever possible, and I will also make sure my friends are aware of the inflexibility of Target's return policy. Target's policy of never making an exception is counterproductive and unsupportable. Other major retail chains are willing to extend themselves on occasion to retain the loyalty of their customers, in consideration of past business and in the interest of potential future business.

I am very disappointed in Target's refusal to do so, and will definitely adjust my buying habits accordingly.

Va

Comments

• Pa
      4th of Aug, 2008

I totally agree - I too, attempted to return a bed comforter last week that I purchased in March. (It didn't end up working into my redecorating that has been delayed.) I fully expected to be able to return this item as :
    1. It was never used, it was still in it's original packaging.
    2. It was shown in their weekly sale flyer as well. (Obviously current merchandise!!)
    I was told that there was absolutely nothing they could do since my receipt was EXPIRED!!!

Having had a retail store of my own before, I know how important good customer service is. Due to their lack of it, I suspect that the hand writing is already on the wall...

They were totally inflexible with their customer service. I too, will not shop at Target again. There are too many competitors that are out there to be treated like this. With stores closing almost daily in today's economic climate (and some major ones at that) I would think Target would realize that nothing lasts forever... When the announcement eventually comes that they are "re-structuring" or are closing their doors, it won't surprise me a bit, and quite honestly I will feel like a little justice will have been served.

• Ga
      27th of Aug, 2009

the receipt says 90 days not 104 days. There has to be some cut off. Otherwise what is stopping people from returning stuff that they bought from target 10 years ago?

• Se
      31st of Jul, 2010

I worked at a store without a time limit on returns. At least twice a year we would have people return really old stff..like 20 years old. I'm sorry but 3 months should be plenty of time. If it's a manufacturing issue, take t up with that company

• Cy
      8th of Apr, 2011

"HOW CAN A RECEIPT BE EXPIRED??? I told them that they gladly took my green money in March, without any indication that I had only 90 days to return it if I planned on so doing!!"

You know when you get up to register at some stores and the clerk says, "do you know about our return policy?"
    Well that's because there are so many people like you running around with the assumption that we can just take things back when we're done with them or when we get around to returning them. If it doesn't work when you get home, turn around and return it (don't forget your receipt). If it breaks after 90 days, take it up with the manufacturer. If you don't want it anymore, sell it or give it away.

And above all, if you want high quality, don't shop at places like Target and Wal-mart! You. Get. What. You. Pay. For.