SunTrustBank / terrible bank

United States, Georgia, Decatur Review updated:
Suntrust Bank
South Dekalb Mall
Suntrust Bank and I have heard that others do it as well, but I only have actual experience with Suntrust. When an account go nsf, the bank holds electronic transactions and small debits to your account and Processess the largest transactions first. The time span varies with slightly with the posting deadline, ie weekday or weekend, but they post the largest transactions so they can charge you a $35 fee for each of the smaller ones.

Example. I wrote a check for $100 and did not log in in the register. Later that week when the check was posted to the account, I watched as they withdrew 8 minor transactions and processed the check. Then they reprocessed the small transactions, $3.95, $8, 00, $14.75, $22.00, $5.50, $6.69, $10 and $5.79 and charged me $35 each. Count them, They charge me $280 rather than process charge me $35 for the check, which by the way came in last.

I had verified the balance earlier that day to see if I had enough to make a purchase. I decided not to make the purchase because the balance was low. On my electronic statement, the check had not been presented. The following day, I watched as they withdrew my paid debits, posted the check and then paid the electronic debits again and charged me $35 each time. Letters to everyone in the bank here in Atlanta, in Florida and two other cities yielded no positive results.

the first time it happened, it was only one fee. But the second time, I saw the technology in action and closed my account. We are still in dispute about the debt.

N  14th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Oh my goodness, I glad someone notice that too. I stopped calling to get my balance and started balancing a check book register for my atm transaction. Because they do that to me all the time. Its like the hold transaction until I make a purchase thinking I have the money in the bank. And one of those times it caused my rent check to be reversed. I was short $5.00 in my account. The damage from everything was their fee $35.oo but I had to pay over a hundred dollars to my apartment complex for paying late. As soon as i get my direct deposit changed from my job, i am closing them.
A  23rd of Aug, 2009 by
They are terrible...simply put. Many other banks do what you are mentioning so I would recommend a Credit Union first! The problem I have with Suntrust is that they treat you like the criminal should your account information be used fraudulently. It takes several days for you to receive a credit to your account after your card has been used fraudulently, and they are not sympathetic. Their process is to make you fax an afidavid to them, then patiently wait 3-5 business days for your money to be credited on a "temporary credit" until their investigation is complete. What kind of multi-million dollar bank does not have the capacity to simply put a temporary credit IMMEDIATELY into your account...remember fraud is NO FAULT OF YOUR OWN! I am officially done doing business with them and my girlfriend is as well. Just wrote a complaint to them via email but they will probably be out of business before anyone gets around to reading it!
N  3rd of Jun, 2010 by
This is one area I tend to agree on regarding NSF's - the idea of "largest to smallest" items.

However, there are really only three ways to do it: Large to small, small to large, or random.

People say "order they come in" but in reality, all items for a particular date are "batched" so they don't know what was first if it was a paper item or ACH debit. For check card purchases, yes, but otherwise, no.

SunTrust Banks Logo SunTrust Banks