Staples - Canada / extended warrantees at staples are worthless

Staples in Canada, Kingston ON to be exact.

The extended warrantees at Staples are worthless. I purchased an Acer laptop there about a year and a half ago (buying an Acer was my first mistake). Within the year, the screen went. It was sent back to the manufacturer and repaired. A month ago, while it was on the extended warrantee, the screen went again. I was told by the Staples Warrantee department that they would need my computer for at least two weeks. I told them that I used my computer in my business and could not do without it for that length of time. They offered no help. They would not provide me with a loaner.

I ordered a Dell laptop. Once it was received and set up, I took my Acer to Staples. After a week, they called to inform me that it would cost more to repair than the current market value of the machine. They offered me $554 in store credits and they will keep the computer. As all I need is a monitor, I have turned them down and they will send it back. Pathetic.

An important note that Staples never mentions is that the warrantee is refundable. If you take it in, they will give you the pro-rated amount. I would suggest that anyone with an extended warrantee do this as soon as possible.

D  18th of Jul, 2010 by
First off, expecting a loaner is a little much, second 2 weeks is pretty fast considering the amount of repairs they do. Lastly, the product replacement plan you bought can only be refunded within 14 days of purchase.
N  28th of May, 2011 by
I absolutely agree with you. I wish I read this complaint sooner. I got an extended warranty, and when it crashed and would not start up again I sent my CPU in for repair. The "EasyTech" guy hooked it up to a diagnostic system (that obviously does not read every problem) and said it was not a hardware problem so I would have to pay for a software problem. I was like okay; fair enough I didn't read the fine print. He re-installed all the software thinking there was a virus or something on my computer. Two months later I have a full system crash all over again with the same error message and problem starting as before. I knew it was the same problem. After I had brought it in he realized that the fan stopped working on one of the slots and the video card slot was melting. I told him that this must have been the problem all along; he however did not want to admit he made a mistake and his mistake cost me over $200. I refused to pay an additional $100 for additional repairs, but the warranty expired two weeks before I brought the computer in the second time. I tried to plead with the warranty office telling them that it was an error on the side of the technician; they are calling it a new problem that occurred after the repair. Now, I am throwing a computer I loved into the trash. :( The warranty office sided with their fellow Staples employee, and I have to pay for the technician's incompetence. There is no way to prove I'm right, the man from the warranty office said so himself. When I spoke to the technician again in the store he said I didn't have virus software that's why my computer crashed, when I corrected him and told him I did he said it must have expired, when I corrected him and said it was still covered he said Norton Antivirus is not foolproof (which it is not), but the fact that he changed his story three times tells me he probably didn't even check for viruses as a cause of a system crash. He just assumed that that was the problem. My guess is that the system was crashing when it was overheating because the fan was slowly breaking down. I want to break an 'easy button' and force Staples to remove the 'Easy' from the "Easytech" that they coined as the title of their useless technology department. I could have bought a new computer for the amount they wanted me to pay to repair my computer, and I would be $200 richer.
N  9th of Feb, 2013 by
I bought ink cartridges from staples that are expired and returned the box to the store, they expect me to return again for a third time, I expect them to mail them as i am spending more in fuel than they are worth(56.33). I'll buy on eBay from now on $5.90

Staples Logo Staples