Stamps.com / Mail Fraud

1 Albany, OR, United States Review updated:

This compamy defrauds you of a minimum of 31.00 the instant you click yes to their lengthy terms of service, for first & last months "service fees".
There is NO ADDED BENEFIT to using the Stamps.com software to access the USPS rather than directly using the USPS website to mail packages or print postage.

My mail fraud complaint is regarding an additional purchase I made from Stamps.com. I paid 5.95 shipping for a free stand alone postage scale. I received a different postage scale that can only be used with the Stamps.com site. When I contacted them about their mistake, I was instructed to pay for returning the wrong item before the correct one would be sent at another 5.95 shipping cost to me.

Ma

Comments

• Te
      6th of Aug, 2008

They've stolen $19 from me so far, they refuse to cancel my account too so ill be charged again next month. When I signed up it clearly stated my account would NOT be charged for the first month. ###ers.

Im going to have to close my bank account.

• Sc
      26th of Aug, 2008

You can do the same exact thing from USPS.gov as you can on stamps.com. The only thing that stamps.com provides that you cannot get from USPS.gov is the ability to print postage for First Class mail from your home or business. That may seem like a significant advantage that stamps.com has. But keep in mind that you can only ship packages or envelopes up to 13 ounces via First Class. Otherwise, you have to use Priority mail which you can print and pay for on the USPS.gov website. If you are shipping things less than 13 ounces, you can always use normal stamps.

So, stamps.com does not provide much benefit over using the post office website. And for $17.99 a month, forget it. Their service only really appeals to people with very specific needs and for most people simply does not have the value add to justify the monthly fee. Perhaps there are other value add services they have of which I am not aware. I don’t know.

In addition, I got stung by the monthly charge after I let the trial period slip. Most companies will refund you your first monthly charge if you let a trial period lapse then call as soon as you realize you were charged for a service you are not using. Well, the brass at stamps.com institute policies that don’t agree with that. They would rather entice you with a trial period, then ding you when you make a simple mistake by forgetting to cancel before the trial runs out. In today’s day and age where many people have accounts with dozens of websites and do much of their shopping, shipping, travel plans, etc. on the internet, it is unfair to hold people that sign up for trial to a charge them for a service they do not use then refuse to refund their charge if they cancel shortly after the trial period ends. Maybe unfair is not the right word since trial users do have to agree to a terms of service which outlines they will be charged. Maybe the better word would be disreputable. Actually, that is the perfect word to describe stamps.com. Not to mention I never recall seeing anything about a monthly charge. I suspect it was buried in a multipage agreement with an accept/decline button that I assume many people simply accept without reading at all.

I will never use stamps.com now simply because of this encounter. And I will advise against using stamps.com to anyone that may potentially use them. It has left such a bad taste in my mouth, that I am taking the time to post this. What a great way to build a solid reputation for a publicly traded company.

Your comment

• Ab
      5th of Nov, 2008

I work at a class action law firm and we are investigating this issue. I am interested in talking to people and hearing about their experiences. Please contact me at abby1100ny@yahoo.com if you have had trouble canceling your account with stamps.com, have been billed fraudulently by stamps.com, or have any questions on this investigation. Thanks, Abigail.