Spirit Airlines Credit Card / deceptive practices

Last year I received an email from Spirit Airlines stating that I could get reduced fares membership if I signed up for their credit card (free membership if I used the credit card each month). I signed up on a trial basis to see if this is something worthwhile.

A couple of months later, I opened a letter from Barclay Bank stating that I am past due on my account (I didn't know who Barclay Bank was). I called them & found out that it was the credit card through Spirit Airlines ( I never received a statement). I was very upset... I requested that they remove the late fee & the membership fee. They said that since I signed up on-line and I should have reveiwed my statement on-line and they would not remove the late charge. I told them how upset & dissatisfied I was and did not want the credit card or the membership. I immediately paid the $287 balance (including interest), but did not pay the late charge or Spirit Airlines membership. I enclosed a letter with the payment explaining my dispute to the late charge and to close my account.

Needless to say, they did not remove the late fee or the membership fee as I requested on the phone & in my letter. After several months, they charged off my account and "sold" my account to another company that is hounding me for approx $200 (since I never received a statement, I assume they continued to accumulate membership fees & late fees).

Now I have a charge-off on my credit report which looks very bad. My credit is "good" but not "excellent" like it was before the charge-off. Spriit Airlines and Barclay Bank's deceptive practices should be investigated and they should be reprimanded for their actions

Spirit Airlines Logo Spirit Airlines