Southwest Airlines / bad information and cancelled flight fiasco

1 San Diego, CA, United States

My mother-in-law came to visit during the holidays. She had a round trip ticket from SD to El Paso thru Phoenix. I called in for her return check in. The SW page showed "Flight closed or cancelled. Sorry, your itinerary is ineligible for check in online". I called and spoke to a live agent who said something about her having failed to note that she was a senior. Puzzled me but he put me on hold and came back saying he got the check in and gave me her boarding group for the trip to Phoenix and then from Phoenix to El Paso. She is elderly and not very comfortable with flying and using the airport but the agent said no problem just go to the counter with ID and the boarding assignments. We got up at 4 a.m. and took her to the SW counters. We left her there in line. She would have been home at noon TX time. We just got her call. She just got home at 5:30 pm, 5 hours late. Her flight really was cancelled. The agent didn't inform me when I called in for check in but he did check her in on a cancelled flight. She returned home after 5 hours of delay and in very bad emotional shape. My wife is talking to her on the phone trying to get her calmed down. I just called SW and the agent said sorry, the flight was cancelled. I asked him if he could see her check in assignments and he could. So what the heck did the first agent do? This is a piss poor performance from an airline I would expect much more from. I have the complaint phone number for SWA on Tuesday. If this happened to me, no problem. This is a very frail elderly lady who recently lost her husband. This was a disastrous trip that could have been avoided with some professionalism and attention.

Wb