Southern California Edison / Erroneously shut off power

1 CA, United States

SCE shut off my power with no warning (no email, no text, no notice on the door except to put the notice on my door that my power was already shut off). The issue arose when another tenant in the apartment complex submitted my address as the address to turn on the service for. Instead of checking their internal database (which would have concluded that there was already a tenant with a current service contract), they changed the ownership to her name and when she didn't pay the deposit, they shut off my energy. There was no indication of this in my monthly email statements (the statements didn't show my name, it just showed how much I owed so I didn't know that a transfer of ownership occurred) and no calls to ask if I had moved or why there was a transfer of ownership.

The worst is instead of admitting that they were wrong for shutting off my power and working diligently to restore it (due to their mistake), they inconsiderately stated that it would take another half day to full day to restore my power and that it wasn't their fault. They were just doing what a "public utility company" is required to do: provide power to those that request it. That may be true, but I asked "shouldn't you have a system in place to prevent situations like this, whether accidental via typo, etc or intentionally (i.e. a prank). All it would take is for the new account manager to check the system to see if there is a current account already set for that address. If there is, then the employee would call the person to verify the transfer of account before shutting down the current residents power. SCE refused to accept that sound advice and improve their business practice and said that this occurs rarely and until enough customers complain about it, it's too cumbersome to add that additional 5 minutes of work to their employees.