South African Airways / theft from baggage

1 South Africa Review updated:

My wife and I were travelling from Sydney to Capetown and our wedding rings and her engagement ring were stolen from our baggage while in the safekeeping of SAA in Jo'burg Airport. As if this wasn't bad enough, the response to this very serious issue has been amazingly low key. Our £3, 000 loss has been compensated to the tune of just $20, the absolute minimum payment. But more upsetting than the financilal loss has been the lack of effort by SAA to investigate the matter. They say they are leaving it to the police to investigate but the truth is the police cannot cope with the huge amount of pilfering (polite word for thievery) that is going on every day by SAA employees (is this a staff benefit in leui of bonus??).

Comments

• Da
      28th of Mar, 2010

I felt so strongly after my daughters presents were stolen from my moms luggae that i dedciated a site to the south african airways. I know very little about web design and keywords etc, but i regurlaly get 1000 people a month to have a look at my site, and hopefully someone will listen and book with another ailine and fly to the airports recommended by people on blogs and forums like this one. Please have a look at my website http://www.dontflysaa.com and please sign the guestbook if you have something to say. I don't edit comments. lol

30th of Mar, 2011

I traveled yesterday from Cape Town to Entebbe, Uganda. I had a transfer in Jo'berg. When I unpacked last night my lock was broken off and my Sony SLR Digital camera with a Sigma 75-300mm zoom lens was stolen out of my bag, along with battery charger and 8 gig SD card. Stupid me I did not want want to carry it because. The irony is that the ticket attendant was going to charge me 275 rand for 1.5 kilo of extra weight and I convinced him not to make me take the camera out of the bag and pack it in my carry-on because I have a bad bag. Do you smell something fishy???? I checked in at the Cape Town airport between 8:15 and 8:30 AM for the 9:50 flight. The ticket attendant was male and it was at the Priority check in counter because I am a gold card member. Please I WANT MY CAMERA BACK!!!