Sony Vaio / sony vaio bad repair centre and poor customer service

United Kingdom Review updated:

My Sony VAIO VGN-FZ11z failed in Feb11 with the NVIDIA GPU problem. Apparently ( see http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=53420&l=en_GB&m=VGN-FZ11Z# ) this is down to a manufacturing defect and Sony VAIO put up a release on their web site stating they'd fix certain models free of charge. So I contacted them and they picked it up via DHL and sent it to a Sony "repair" centre, which is actually a place called Teleplan in Colchester UK. 2 days later Sony VAIO link told me it was fixed & thjey were returning it. Got it back, and they hadn't done a thing ! Second time it went back, I got it back and it looked OK, but after a cold boot, it kept gong into Windows repair !! They [some call centre in Egypt at 35p/min] got me to do a full factory reset (VAIO recovery software) which failed to install Vista. They then sent me recovery discs, which again failed to install Vista [all hours of my personal time by the way]. THREE months down the line, it went back for a third time, and now apparently there is still a problem with the NVIDIA GPU, and apparently [all of a sudden] there's some bad sectors on the HD [even though I've check this numerous times]. Yeah right. Guess what, they want to charge me £370 for replacing the HD. Total cowboys, and worst I don't trust a thing they say. I've given them an ultimatum to fix it, replace it or provide a refund. All gone very quiet, but they don't realise I have logged it with UK Trading standards and have contacts within BBC, ITV and Channel4.

Comments

•   Jun 02, 2011

Nice one, and good luck.

• N1
      Jun 21, 2011

same here. I sent it out a month ago and I'm going on vacation for the whole summer. I've been trying to tell them to ship me back the pc whether it's fixed or not and all they do is put me on hold. I have an hour waiting for someone to pick up the phone and no answer yet. Sony ###ing sucks.

• Mi
      Dec 18, 2012

18.12.2012 I've had three separate pick-up days fixed by Sony/DHL for my laptop to be picked up. Waited in and nobody turned up! That's 3 days of my time wasted. But they sure took the money for the repair out of my account quick enough! They took the money immediately. You would think they would take the money when the repair had been completed. It's an Asus for me next. time. I certainly won't touch another Sony product.