Sony Reader / Bad service

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:
I purchased a Sony reader im May 2008. In August, I lay in bed reading it, using the left hand corner control tho turn the pages with my left thumb. Afet reading about 40 pages of War & Peace, I turned off the Reader and went to sleep. The next morning, when I woke, I turned on the Reader to continue reading. The screen would not function. SONY have said I damaged the screen. I asked how? With my left thumb turning pages? They refuse to accept that the reader may have a flaw... a soft spot that destroys a chip. Customer relations will not even discuss the matter. I have since discovered a second owner with the same complaint. How can we get SONY to accept our complaint, and listen to us?
Va

Comments

Md
  17th of Dec, 2008
I don't think Sony cares after they sell you their products. My husband purchased the Sony Reader for my anniversary gift. Within 4 months the plastic tab that holds the reader in the cover was pulling away. I expoxied it in. Now the prong which holds the reader in the cover has broken off and there is no way to glue that on. The sony rep stated that it only had a 90 day warranty so I am SOL on the Navy blue leather cover that came with my reader. All of this after 45 minutes on hold. Do not expect anything having to do with the Sony Reader to last 6 months much less a year. If I had it to do over I would buy a Kindle.
De
  16th of Sep, 2009
I am certain that Sony couldn't care less. I downloaded the software update 3.0 to my reader, as SONY recommended, and immediately the library locked up. Hours and hours and HOURS on the phone with no resolution. The tech finally guided me through and reset my reader. NOW I have no books at all on the reader, and they don't know why it won't work.
Their solution? Send it in and if they can't find the problem, they will send me a refurbished unit as long as I send in the purchase receipt.

The problem? If I can't produce the original receipt (it was a gift last Christmas), they will not honor the warranty, even though the product was registered when I received it. Even though the problem was caused by their software, and even though THEIR tech had me wipe the reader, I will now have to purchase a new reader.

I would rather lose the $$$$ I have invested in the books than give Sony another dime of my money, EVER!!
So
  11th of May, 2010
my husband gave me a reader for my birthday in feb 2010..not even 90 days.and it just died completely. It will not turned on at all, after trying for many hours with rude technical support which by the way are located in central america, spoke with rep, supervisor and a so called manager and they did nothing for me. i requested the address or phone # for corporate office and they said they did nt have one...hahaha... now im waiting for someone is the USA to call me. but all the offered me ws a refurbished reader.. I told them they could keep it,

i will never recommend a sony product again...the worst in customer service
St
  10th of Feb, 2011
I purchased a PRS350 Sony reader in late October/early November. The stylus (poorly designed, I might add) broke. After a long, long telephone marathon, they finally agreed to send me a new stylus. Well, the new stylus broke yesterday. It is a very flimsy accessory to the reader. When I called Sony and was transferred several times and put on hold for a total of more than an hour, I was told that they would contact me within 72 hours with some kind of resolution. We'll see! By the way, the Sony parts department said the cost of the replacement stylus would be $60 something dollars plus shipping. The frigging reader was only $149 (now it's $129). If I ever get another reader, which I will, it won't be a Sony. Their service department sucks, big time.

Sony Corporation Logo Sony Corporation