Sixt Car Rental / fraud & scam

1 Germany Review updated:

I had a one day rental from Sixt that I picked up at the Frankfurt main train station at 9:30. It was a 1-day flat rate, all mileage included for a total of 39euro. The next day I filled up the car and returned it to the Frankfurt train station at 8:00 before I took a 9:00am train out of the country. I returned the keys directly to the Sixt agent at the station and provided her with the gas receipt.

Later when I checked my credit card, I saw a charge from them of $124 eur0-- more than quadruple the amount that I PHYSICALLY signed for. When I pressed Sixt for more information, they sent me an invoice showing that I returned the car late and in addition charged me to refuel the car. Amazing that the car was logged in LONG AFTER I left the country... nevermind that I filled the tank and dealt directly with the corrupt agent in Frankfurt.

Turns out this is a classic fraudulent billing scam leaving the consumer no recourse with disputing it with your credit card. The very least I could have done was stand there and watch the agent log the car in an get a final confirmation receipt... but with these [censored]ers, I'm not sure that would have made much of a difference.

Qs

Comments

• Da
      24th of Sep, 2008

We had a very similar situation when we rented a Panda in Palermo from Sixti in 2008. It was supposed to come with 1200kms included, after which there was an outrageous surcharge for excess kms. They billed our charge card far more than we agreed upon - apparently allowing only 1000kms. At first we assumed that there was a simple misunderstanding, but they don't respond to e-mails from us.

Even though we have a copy of the rental confimation showing what the charges should be, 6 months later we're still arguing with our charge card company about the bill.

Avoid SIXTI like the plaque.

• Il
      1st of Oct, 2008

The same situation with in Rome, 2008.
    They billed me about 50% more, than was agreed. Sixt are scammers!

• Te
      11th of Oct, 2008

I got home the other day after a business trip where I rented from Sixt in Zurich. When I returned the car, they just told me to drive it up to the 7th floor of the parking ramp. Don't know why they couldn't do it as I was at their drop off area. When I came back down, I asked for a receipt since it's a business expense. Reluctantly, the girl put on a coat to go up & inspect the car. She came down and as she was keying in the receipt I asked if everything was fine, she said "yes".

Four days later, I get an email saying there was damage to the car ... a scratch on the rear bumper, passenger side. And they want me to provide a police report or else cover the damages. Say what?

Four days later, with me on the other side of the Atlantic, and all of a sudden the vehicle is damaged? If there really was some damage (I've never had an accident in either my own car or with rentals), then she should have shown it to me and have me sign to confirm this.

I will fight them on this, even though my credit card covers this type of damage.

Rent elsewhere.

21st of Jun, 2009

Hi, we also had a problem with Sixt. Although we had reservation they did not supply us the car and instead told us to take of our selves. I believe that Sixt doe not know how to be a brand!

an old Sixt customer

• My
      28th of Jul, 2009

I'm going through the same thing with Sixt right now (July, 2009). rented a car in Paris (deGaule) and returned it. The attendant circled the car for almost five minutes and signed me in. My next credit card bill had a charge for $489.80 that's for "paint repair:, which is complete nonsense. I'm in the U.S. This is waste of time and I strongly advise against using Sixt. I sure won't. And I'm fighting this, even though it is a bad use of time, just because I hate these people. DON'T RENT FROM SIXT!

• Ih
      3rd of Nov, 2009

We were regular uses of Sixt, but on our last trip someone drove into us on the motorway. Sixt told us not to worry, as our insurance with them meant we would not get charged. A month later we got a bill for 3, 600 euros, later revised to 1, 800.
    My father in law was recently charged for not filling up with petrol, when he had done so, and on another occasion collected a car 75% full of petrol. He went back in to the office to tell them, and they said it was full, but had a fault with the reading. Surprise surprise, when he next filled the car up, the reading went up to 100%.

• Eg
      3rd of Nov, 2009

skammers go with other rentals

5th of Nov, 2009

I rented a car from sixt in Dublin. I scraped the vehicle in a car park (my first accident ever - in 25 years of driving)... it happened the very last day I was in Dublin. Sixt stated that they would debit my creidt card and send on the paperwork to Australia..When I arrived home I discovered that they had charged me nearly $3000 dollars for what was minor damage - but they have NEVER sent the paperwork - they ignore my emails and refuse to deal with my travel insurance company - my advice - DON'T TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGE POLE - YOU'D BE BETTER OFF WALKING!!!

• Yo
      24th of Nov, 2009

I rented a car from Sixt in Malaga in November 2009. I returned the car with a full tank of petrol. A week after arriving home in th UK I received notification that my credit card had been charged 48 euros for a full tank of petrol. I called Malaga and was told I was supposed to return the car empty. As I returned it full I asked them what they had spent my money on. They couldn't answer. The customer service dept in the UK said to send an e-mail with my complaint, which I have done and they are (surprise surprise)totally ignoring. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

• Ro
      19th of Dec, 2009

Same with me just got back from Paris, last 16th december 2009 in beauvais ariport. My bill was 48e and they are charging me 197.87€, Dont use this ###ing scammers. AVOID THEM AT ANY COST

Could have used a mercedes from another rented company and still would cost me less. Reported to my bank and they did not receive a penny. Im still with this pending situation as they also dont answer to any email, either france company or deutsch main company.

• We
      27th of Feb, 2010

My exact experience. A 50 Euro overcharge when my credit card statement arrived. But I persisted is complaining and after 6 months finally got a refund. One week later after receiving the refund on my credit card, a letter arrived in the mail demanding 1900 Euro damages to be paid immediately and deposited to their bank account. Needless to say, no damages were ever mentioned at anytime and I had all supporting documents. Sixt is a scam outfit and in no way should anybody do business with them in Germany, especially if you are from another country. Avoid them like the plague.

• Ko
      24th of May, 2010

I also had a problem with Sixt car renting. Even living in Germany it is not safety.
    I have hired a car in Prague in March.
    I have booked it in advance by Internet on Sixt web page (to be more precisely it was SixtHolidaycars, but it seems to be the same shady business establishment). Cost me 150 euros for VW Polo 4 days. Winter tires for 10 euro/day extra. Payment was held fully from my credit card in advance.
    I have clarified by phone the deposit sum – that was 300 euros.
    When I came to their office, employee asked me for credit card, passport and driver license. Ok.
    She tried to hold a deposit on credit card and asked me whether I have another one. Unfortunately not, just keep trying. But she tried to block 1000 euros (3 times more)! It was definitely impossible.
    The answer stroked me, "we are blocking a bit more". After a short negotiation she recommended me to write an e-mail, that they will reimburse money. As a result I have hired the car at another renter for same price and even full CDW.
    I have written e-mail at same day, but response came at last day of my stay. They told me that I don’t have any rights to reimburse the money as written in contract and it doesn’t have any sense even it is their mistake of providing non-relevant information.
    After my arrival to home I wrote that it does not suitable for me and so on…
    In a few days they transferred half to my account back.
    Then I had a long term negotiations, a lot of e-mails and spoken about the threat of taking the matter to court.
    As a result I have an extremely negative impression of Sixt and Sixt Hollydaycars itself. It is a method of work of swindlers, it is looks as fraud and it is a fraud but it is not a quality of known international firm.
    Money as a result has been fully returned to me, after I have sent approx 8 letters to them and a month of waiting.

Then I have found in Internet a similar issue with Sixt and not only once. I would never cross the threshold of their office. Not at any price!

21st of Dec, 2010

A similar experience happened to me when I returned a Sixt car in Berlin in July 2010. I returned it immaculate and in the same condition as I received it. They claimed I damaged the car and followed with harrassing letters. They initailly stated that the cost is over 1000 euros and are now demanding over 750 euros plus legal fees. They are a bunch of crooks and this is a form of extortion. With so many complaints, where are the regulators?

• Vl
      8th of Mar, 2011

Sixt not only abuses with the credit cards. IT'S A DANGEROUS COMPANY. I've rented a car in December, 2010 in Paris and whoever traveled in Europe this winter knows the weather conditions were far from ideal. And Sixt gave me a car with a damaged direction! 300 miles on a slippery road it's a whole experience. Probably they need a new slogan: "YOUR RENT WILL COST YOU DOUBLE! If you survive with Sixt..."

• Ty
      19th of Apr, 2011

We too had a fraudulent claim of scratches to the vehicle after we had returned from our holiday. We used a credit card and payed an additional 297 euros for insurance at the time we picked it up. I just looked on line to see if this was typical. They can correspond with my lawyer now cause they are now threatening legal action. They were not able to access my credit card because I routinely change the number after travelling.

• El
      13th of Jun, 2011

Beware Sixt crooks -- I rented from Sixt Paris in April 2011 and returned to CDG airport. They added euro39.55 to my credit card... But I returned it on time and with a full tank of gas (have receipt to prove it). They do not have an agent in the garage -- you have to walk the keys into the terminal and leave them with the agent so you can't get a receipt on the spot subjecting you to their gas tank scam. I'll never rent Sixt again.

1st of Jul, 2011

Beware of the Sixt Rental Branch at the Belfast, Northern Ireland International Airport location...they will lie to you about having your reservation ready when in fact, they tell you no cars are available. What they are doing is renting out cars to people who walk up to the counter since they make more money and then when people show up who have a reservation, they tell them they have no cars even though you have a reservation. We videotaped the last incident with this location and soon it will be posted on You Tube. We had to rent another vehicle which costs us three times more since it was a Holiday. The Manager Emily lied to customer service. we will be suing in small claims court to recover our costs

1st of Jul, 2011

Beware of Belfast International Sixt Rental Agency..they are under investigation by US Dept for Fraud to US Customers

• Po
      12th of Jul, 2011

Absolute classical SCAMMERS! I wouldn't rent a donkey 7 cart from Sixt. After I'm home, Sixt notifies me about a scratch on the driver side door. When I turned in the car, it was perfect - no scratches. Fortunately I am a professional photographer and have a very sharp photo of the left side of the rental care. It shows no scratches at all. Sixt billed me for 1100 Euro. They won't see a penny.

• Al
      10th of Oct, 2011

We will never rent from Sixt EVER again. My husband rented a car in Paris. The break light turned on unsuspectedly while we were on the freeway. Upon return of the car, my husband reported this, but did not address it. We received blank damage paperwork 2 months later. We were billed 466 Euros for "driving with the parking break on", which was obviously not the case. We were additionally billed for 6L of missing gas, while we filled up the tank down the street. The customer service is ignoring us. I think the company is fraudulent.