Sirius Satellite Radio / consumers beware of sirius radio!

I activated my Sirius radio that was factory installed in my vehicle on February 23, 2007 and paid for two years. My credit card was charged immediately but I had problems with the signal. I called right back and ended up holding for more than an hour for technical support. I had them test the signal again and it came through.

Later the same evening I lost the signal again and had to call back for technical support. This whole process of calling and waiting for long periods of times was frustrating so I called on February 24, 2007 and canceled this service requesting a full refund. I was told on February 24, 2007 by the representative that the credit would take 3-5 business days.

On today, the sixth business day I called Sirius back because the credit was not applied to my credit card and waited 28 minutes to speak with a representative. The representative then informed me that the person on the 24th of February forgot to send through the credit and I would have to wait another 3-5 business days for a credit. I told her that this was poor customer service and asked to speak with a supervisor. A gentleman named "Carl" who identified himself as the floor-walker was extremely rude and said there was nothing else that could be done according to the senior level. I then requested to speak with a senior level person and he hung up on me. I make yet another call to Sirius to request an address to send a customer complaint and the representative put me on hold for 24 minutes before I was disconnected.

I still am not sure I will receive my credit and will have my attorney contact Sirius.

CONSUMERS BEWARE OF SIRIUS RADIO!!! They take your money and provide you with horrible customer service.

Comments

• Do
      5th of Mar, 2007

I activated my Sirius radio that came in my new truck, and it was the best thing I have ever done.

The programming is terrific and the quality of commercial free music is equal to CD's.

When I had a slight reception problem with another Sirius radio I purchased for my wife, a customer service representative spent 45 minutes helping me through the problem, and it has worked perfectly ever since (over 1 year.)

They were so courteous and helpful, that I have told all my friends at the Church Family Center all about their excellent customer service department.

I am very surprised that you could have had a negative experience with the nice people at Sirius.

• Me
      5th of Mar, 2007

I am the ultimate computer/electronics "Geek."

I have pestered the customer service reps at Sirius for hours, and they have been so courteous and friendly to me that I really appreciate it.

I think they are terrific, and am giving a Sirius radio to my mom for Easter.

I disagree with the criticism.

• Wi
      16th of Jun, 2007

They don't tell you about an activation fee till you install it and call, on top of that i talked to michael at sirius he said to mention his name and they would waive the activation fee. I call the next day to activate it the sorry, well never mind they basically called me a liar if xm and sirius merge, they will go out of business, if they treat a person like this before you activate it, then how will they treat you as a customer?

• Cl
      23rd of Jun, 2007

I have had sirius for 3 years and have had no problems with it. Customer service is fast and friendly and knowledgeable.

• Bi
      23rd of Jun, 2007

I was a satisfied Sirius customer for two years but when they dropped my favorite music channel (WSM) I decided not to renew my annual subscription that expired in October 2006. Sirius continued to bill me for monthly service and calls to customer service accomplished nothing even though I was reassured that the billing would stop. Finally, I sent them a certified letter and for about four months the bills stopped and I thought the ordeal was over. Then last Thursday 6-21-06 I received a letter from a collection service threatening me if I didn't pay up. My patience in dealing with these incompetent is at its limit and I am preparing complaints with the Attorneys General of New York and Kentucky. The bill is only 32.58 and I would gladly pay it if they would just leave me alone and take their petty thievery somewhere else but there is absolutely no reason to believe they won't try to bill me again. I don't even have the radio anymore. Customer service here is a joke and I would advise anybody considering their service to think twice before signing up. Chances are you will regret it deeply later.

• Ca
      30th of Jun, 2007

Sirius customer service is AWFUL, i recently subscribed to a lifetime subscription, under the impression i had a lifetime of sirius radio on my receiver(s). This believe was also enforced by the customer service rep in which I was speaking to, confirming I could place my service onto 3 radios in total. When I purchased another receiver and called customer service to add the receiver, the female rep told me I would have to purchase another Lifetime or paying subscription for this radio also, when I explained the terms that I agreed to pay for their lifetime subscription, she told me I misunderstood the terms and she cannot speak for another customer service reps quote on the deal, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. I spoke to someone by the name of Adam who was completely unempathetic to my needs, plainly stating in a rude fashion that I either buy a subscription or return the radio and take my business elsewhere. Is this the customer service that sirius is handing out after I just forked over over $400 dollars of my money?

• Br
      16th of Jul, 2007

I have had Sirius radio for about a year the quality of sound is excellent however i spent $200 on my radio and a week ago i lost my remote i then called customer service they transfered me and gave me different numbers to call and gave me the runaround it all led nowhere. Finally i spoke with someone who had half a brain( thats half of a brain ) and she told me theres no way to order a new remote. So if you get a radio with a remote don't loose it.

• Gw
      21st of Aug, 2007

I bought an S50 and activated it in Jan. 2007. I am not about to send back the third radio. This one worked less than 36 hours. The problem seems to be, or at least they tell me, is the antenna keeps going bad. They don't pay for return postage which by the time you add insurance is more than $15, plus the first radio I returned they charged me a $70 transfer fee and a $15 activation fee, both of which were later waived. Nor will they pay for the "professional installation," which I sprung for this time thinking it was something I was doing to make the antenna died. They won't send just the antenna; you have to take the whole radio. Customer service most always has a smile they are just impotent. I wish I had saved my $500 lifetime subscription and bought a really good mp3 player; I would have still had money left over. To hell with satellite radio.

• Ap
      17th of Oct, 2007

I have to say that I love the music and have no signal problems but... but customer service is another story. If you haven't had a bad experience with them yet, you will. Just wait until you want your rebate or refund or want to cancel your subscription. Wow. I have only had one good experience with their team of "experts" in the 10+ conversations I've had with them. But this last call was the worst and now I'm mad. Not only did the non-English speaking woman lie to me, she gave me a number to a local singles hotline for rebate help. Nice. The second man I spoke to only had about an smidgen more of a brain then she did. I was not only not helped but lied to. Apparently I am going to have to write the president of Sirius, the president of operations and sales, and CEO to get my rebate. I'm still not sure if the whole thing is even worth my time at this point.

• Da
      17th of Nov, 2007

Holy Smoke! I was given the number for the singles hotline as well! I wanted badly to relay that story but figured no one would believe it. Very strange in that my initial calls to customer service went very well, were quickly handled by pleasant people. That would be in September 2007 to take advantage of a rebate offer on a second subscription. From then on, each call has exponentially declined in quality. The whole point was to make sure they didn't renege on the rebate - I wanted to make I sure I mailed them exactly what they wanted. So today I get the little index card telling me the UPC code I sent is not good enough. That would be the one and only UPC code which I cut out of the box and placed in the envelope (and incidentally was ordered online directly from Sirius). I tried calling and the woman on the other end kept saying "hello.. hello...?" and hung up. I called again and got disconnected while on hold. This is pretty grim... I really don't want to cancel, I enjoy the service, but if they don't honor the rebate I don't know what else to do... I'm not going to stand for that.

• Ge
      21st of Nov, 2007

I have had sirius radio for about 4 years. Everything was fine until my radio was stolen and I called their "Customer Service" dept to cancel my account. I called 4 times, was put on hold all 4 times for about 20 minutes each and cut off on two of the calls. The last time I called, I asked to speak to a supervisor and again was put on hold and after about 10 minutes I was cut off again. I sent them an email explaining all this and asked that my account be canceled. After 2 days I received an email back saying I should call their "Customer Service" number to cancel my account. Needless to say, my email reply was not as friendly as my first one. This is the worst example of service I have encountered in many many years.

• Sh
      28th of Nov, 2007

Sirius radio "customer care" is a joke at best! I vote to rename it Customer Don't Care Service. It's been my experience that the only thing they are good at is giving people the run around. Dan S. I know your pain. Rebate issues was my last troubles. They know all the tricks for passing the buck. For example hang up, long hold times, give wrong numbers to call for help, give wrong information. This was just some of problems I had. The only good thing I can say is that the radio itself is great.

• El
      27th of Dec, 2007

I activated my Sirus Radio 2 years ago when it was the hot item for Christmas 2005. So on 12-27-05 I activated my radio. I was going to purchase a month to month but was told if I paid for a 2 year contract up front I would get 3 months free.
    Now to my way of learning 2 years equals 24 months and 3 months is 3 months equals 27 months or my contract would expire March 27, 2008. I confirmed this with the agent I spoke with and wrote all the info down inside my sirius operation manual and paid by my debit card. So to review for $271.95 I was getting a 2 year contract PLUS a free 3 months.

Today $271.95 was deducted from my bank account. for a renewal that I never authorized. When I called them I was told my 2 year contract was for 21 months. Hmmm. 2 years now equals 21 months. In what country?? On what planet??

Some nasty guy told me I did't know what I was talking about.
    I got a supervisor and she told me the same 2 years equals 21 months. Well that may be what they are hawking this year but I know what I was told 2 years ago and I am sure those 2005 sales people have all moved on to other jobs and this is now the new policy. I was also never notified of the auto renewal, even though they have my name address, phone # and email address. I was told they can do this. I told them they can just refund me as fast as they debited my account.

I have cancelled my account and they have cheated me out of 3 free months. I am sure in the next few weeks all those other jerks like me who fell for the 3 free month gimmick will be complaining and cancelling their subscriptions. I haven't even addressed the lack of service I had when the trees in my yard sprouted leaves each spring, but thats another subject.

Ellen.

• Ju
      5th of Feb, 2008

I have been having problems with them sending my rebates. I called several times, and been emailing back and forth with a debbie from Rebates@sirius-radio.com. The original rebate I had was for $50 for purchasing my sportster that I never received 2006. When I called at first to check the status of it they said they didn't receive it, and to resubmit the info. By that time I didn't make a copy of the box, because in the rebates they ask for the originals. I figured it's my mistake since I didn't make a copy so I didn't make an issue with it. Now in September 2007, the rebate was for a free sportster to existing members and an additional rebate if you purchase the boom box. The rebate total comes to $200. This time I photo copied all the rebate info and resent it. I still haven't recieved my rebate, and I have been getting the run around. So I e-mailed them the photo copy of the items I purchased and the reciept, and they tell me they can't except it and has to be resubmitted. So I decieded I will try again and resumit it because I want my $200 and now I want my additional $50 for the past one since they are giving me so much grief. I asked for there past rebate forms and I will resend them to them, and they give me a sight for current ones, not past ones. https://www.web-rebates.com/sirius/past.asp?r=
    They are definately are not helpful at all when it comes to rebates.

I have called them on several other occations with radio issues, and they are pretty good about helping out with those issues, but when it comes to rebates, I can tell you that they're definately shady. If it wasn't for listening to NFL, Howard, and the comedy I would drop them immediately.

• Re
      14th of Feb, 2008

Sirius sent me a renewal notice. I answered NO RENEWAL. They proceeded to charge my credit card without my permission and renewed it anyway. They laughed when I asked to have it removed. They have written notice two weeks before the expiration saying I was not renewing so fraudulently charged my account anyway.

I am fighting the credit card company and Sirius and to date have gotten nowhere.

BEWARE OF THESE VERY UNETHICAL PEOPLE. ONCE YOU SUBSCRIBE YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY RENEWED WHETHER YOU WANT IT OR NOT.

• Da
      29th of Mar, 2008

I have to agree with the complaint and would like to add another. . .We moved from our home in Minnesota in July. I sent in
    a address change with the US Postal Service. Apparently my renewal for service with Sirius came due sometime in NOVEMBER.
    which of course I wasn't made aware of at the time. I did not receive any mail from them until December. I called Sirius at the
    time and explained that I didn't want the service any longer. I was told that I would be taken off list and that I did not owe anything. That was the last I heard from them until this week when I received a notice from a COLLECTION AGENCY for $28.80
    (for service from November to January!!! Becareful - when you sign up for service it NEVER ends... When I called customer
    service to explain to them again, I was treated terribly from a VERY RUDE customer service agent. You are better off with another
    type of service, STAY AWAY FROM A BUSINESS THAT DOES BUSINESS LIKE THIS. Caution Stay Away from Sirius,

• Je
      18th of Apr, 2008

Sirius radio has taken unauthorized money from my account more than once and said it would be refunded because we were unable to use our radio because it wasn't working so of course we had to pay to send it to get it fixed and also had to pay for service while it was getting fixed and not able to use it..on two different occasions. We there for cancelled our subscription and they still charged us for several months more after we cancelled. We mistakenly bought a gift card thinking we would give them another try but without giving them access to our accounts. We have now lost more money and still do not have service. Their reps are horrible and rude and inconsiderate and not very bright. We have yet to receive any of our promised refunded money and they have actually sent us to a collection agency for $17 for another month or service after we cancelled surprise surprise. Which we never received anything in the mail regarding. At this time we still do not have service. The rep we are speaking with at this moment...name is Eli Ruz "Supervisor". Again not very bright. The other idiot was named Kevin supposedly. I will never ever ever do business with these money stealing #$@%& again. I would really like for everyone who reads this that considering Sirius Radio...they are the most money grubbing &&%$# people I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. I will never recommend anyone to go thru Sirius Radio. We also tried to get any kind of information out of them and they lied and gave us the runaround surprised? No! After spending $400 over the past year we actually used the radio a couple months when it worked. If you are thinking about get Sirius please please think again or just write them a check to whatever $$$ you have. Better yet a blank check would be better. Then maybe you will get great customer service...if they speak english. They are the worst company that is only after your money period.

Signed very unhappy and no-longer customers.

• Ax
      20th of Apr, 2008

Well I too have been scammed by Sirius. Apparently once you get their service you can NEVER cancel it. After a couple of months when I had called to cancel my subscription I got a letter in the mail from a collection agencey saying I owe Sirius. I was like WTF?!

So first thing I do is call the collection agency... Turns out they have a dedicated line for Sirius, and I thought to my self, "Well this doesn't sound good." But upon calling them I get the message "We are experiencing higher than normal call volume please leave a message and we will call you back" So when I get to their answering machine it's full. Crap. But to shorten things up I end up calling this place up several times and never getting an agent. I leave several messages which none have been answered.

I take the matter to Sirius basically after several anal holes I get nowhere with much frustration. All I get from Sirius is that this matter is out of our hands and all I can do is call the collections agency NCO Finical.

I have now taken this up with the BBB and from what I read may help a little. But we will see.

• Lu
      3rd of May, 2008

Oh Brother, It looks as if most of the people in this board have gotten the slap on the face as well as I did by Sirius. The customer service wait is out of this world and the Representatives are as stupid as the billing system and so call terms and conditions they have. I got my service with a six months subscription from my dealer as the system was factory installed in my car. A few days before the 6 months expire I received a letter notifying me that the service was about to expire and if I would like to sign up. I did sign up for only six months and paid over the phone with my check card... I was not informed of any contractual obligations, notifications, terms and conditions changes out of the blue, etc. Little that I know and per lack of communication or so call GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE... after this last six months expired Sirius end up charging my check card with a renewal subscription for a year.

This is without email notification that the account was to expire soon, mail, or a courtesy phone call. They went ahead and charged without negotiating with me or even asking me if I was interested in renewal. To my second surprise I called customer service to dispute the illegal transaction and the automated system as redundant as it is, not to forget annoying put me on hold for about 45 minutes before I spoke with "The Rep". He told me that I should have known better that Sirius holds the credit card information to renewal after each service is over. They do an automatic renewal without the customer's consent or banking approval.

I requested a refund and the termination of the account due to such violation... the surprises keep on coming when the cancellation department informed me that I would have to pay a $79 dollar cancellation fee due to the fact that the new service was already active and that I was not following the terms and conditions that the company has established. I asked the rep what terms and conditions as I was not under a contractual obligation with them. She responded well the latest one was established this last April 1st, 2008. I asked her why I was not notified and she responded... that they don't have to notify the consumer about any changes to their policies. DOUBLE SLAP ON MY FACE really! To make the story short they waited until I noticed the charges to my account two weeks after the service expired and now the so called policy benefits them by charging me a cancellation fee.

AFTER TWO WEEKS OF RENEWL. I end up signing up for another six months and requesting to have the account terminated after the end of this term. I know have to change my check card number as I would not want to re-visit my angry haft day wasted on the phone with idiots. I don’t want to give them the chance to charge my account and have to deal with the same issue again. I AM ABOUT TO SEND MY COMPLAINT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BEURAU AS we as consumer have to alert others of companies like Sirius that will always try to make sure they meet their $$$ balances each quarter by abusing their customers.

• Gl
      18th of May, 2008

what a problem you have trying to talk to the coustomer service. I paid for another radio from wal- mart for my truck it came with my car with a one year free service well these people cut the one in my truck and car off and haven't had it 6 months. and prepaid for the one in the truck for 6 months. called in for help on the problem got some guy keep blowing in the phone and asking can i hear him. WOW what great coustomer service. I think they need to merge and spend some money on phone service and english classes for de people.