SCS Sofas / faulty sofa

I purchased corner sofa from ScS in Blackburn Lancs. The sample sofa I tested in the shop was ideal for my needs i.e. firm seating. The sofa was delivered in March 09 & to my dismay I found that the corner bit was really saggy and uncomfortable. I informed customer services the following day who sent out an upholsterer who agreed with me & said that this was dwon to the design i.e. half is sprung base & the other is a webbed base. I received letter from ScS saying that there was nothing wrong with it & that was all they would do. i then sent another letter on consumer directs advice as I had since been back to showroom & the sample sofa did not correspond in quality to mine. I received another letter from ScS stating that the problems"are not manufacturing faults & are down to the way the goods are being used" !!! Consumer direct then contacted trading standards on my behalf & a representative from trading standards examined the sofa in my home & agreed with my judgement of the quality. She contacted head office who said that there was nothing wrong with it. The trading standards employee requested that ScS pay half towards the cost of an indepenadant upholsterer's report but they refused to even do this!! I know have to pay the cost of the independant upholsterer's report myself or accept a sofa only half of which can be used.

Comments

• De
      30th of Oct, 2014

This Company is well known for avoiding issues relating to its products.

I purchased a suite from them some time ago, but after a short space of time it soon became uncomfortable.. Writing to them did very little for months, but eventually they sent an inspector to establish the problem. A report was forwarded to me stating the issues were due to Myself and Wife being too large for the product. This was not stated at the time of inspection for obvious reasons.! By contrast both my wife and I are of moderate build and weigh below 15 stone. Needless to say, SCS stood by the inspectors report.
    I did have the sense to buy an insurance plan but the Insurers were not too keen to withstand the cost of a full repair. They did pay for some remedial work but that was it.
    As regards an independent inspection, which costs in excess of £100 the Company does not have to honour the findings, so in effect it is throwing good money after bad.
    Eventually, i gave the suite away to a charity for needy people and bought replacement elsewhere.

• Ir
      16th of May, 2018

///////PLEASE DONT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE THERE FURNATURE IS TOTAL RUBBISH AND THEY WONT FIX IT UNLESS YOU PAY WHEN ITS ONLY 6 MONTHS OLD i bought a sofa from these people and its nearly collapsed in the middle the frame is knackered a man came out and said it was sound IT WAS NOT so they took his word and sent us a bill to have it fixed ITS 6 MONTHS OLD, i cannot stress enough about the customer service is a dissgrace they dont want to no he talked me into paying cash then sent me a defective piece of furnature, , , PLEASE READ AND TAKE HEED

• De
      16th of May, 2018

To Irene Calvert. Can assure you any many others I will not purchase anything from SCS again. IT IS EVIDENT THEY HAVE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ZERO AFTERCARE. FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT AFFRORD TO SHOP ELSEWHEREW, THEY SHOULD PART PAY ON A RECOGNISED CREDIT CARD. THIS WILL PROTECT THEM UNDER SECTION 75 OF THE CREDIT CARD CONDITIONS, MAKING THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY JOINTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE QUALITY OF ANY MERCHANDISE COSTING IN EXCESS OF £100. AT THE TIME I WAS UNAWARE OF THE RESPONSIBILITY OF CREDIT CARD PROVIDERS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.