Samsung Singapore Refrigerator / abysmal customer service

1 Singapore Review updated:

Customers in Singapore who plan to purchase a Samsung refrigerator should anticipate the fact that the device may not be designed or suitable for local conditions and that the level of customer support they will subsequently receive when things start to go wrong will be both "Uniquely Singaporean" and absolutely abysmal.
We purchased a large, single door Samsung fridge for domestic purposes three years ago and noticed that within 18 months, rust started appearing from inside the two fridge doors and working its way out to form dark, brown rust bubbles on the surface of the door.
The slow but enevitable progress of the rust meant that three years into the life of the fridge, the edges of the doors, the area around the handle and spots in the centre of the door indicated that our fridge is literally rusting away in front of us.
The Singapore product manager for Samsung told us personally that the fridges were designed in Korea "for Korean conditions" and were probably "not suitable for Singapore conditions" - but SAMSUNG SINGAPORE sells them anyway.
If you are planning buying a Samsung fridge in Singapore, be aware of this comment by the company themselves - the product "is not suitable for Singapore conditions" because the warrenty only lasts one year and all the problems subsequently are YOUR problem, not Samsungs problems - they honestly DONT WANT TO KNOW!.
Also be aware that the actualy standard of service offered by the " Customer Service Dept " of Samsung Singapore is some of the worst I have ever encountered anywhere in the world and Samsung Corporation should be totally ashamed of how SAMSUNG SINGAPORE is treating its global customers.
My advice - treat SAMSUNG SINGAPORE like you would treat a case of swine flue and avoid the company, its products and its Customer Service Dept especially like the plague!

Gi

Comments

• Ha
      24th of May, 2009

From the way you described of the rust that had worked from the inside of the fridge doors, it showed that rust was probably contributed from your own liquid material that was spilled and seeped to the side of the inside of the door .

The rust could have been for some time already if the acidic spillage of liquid, like soft drinks and other food materials, was not cleaned up.

The corrosion starts from the inside surface of the door material. It further corrodes to the outside of the surface .

This rusting is not sudden thing. It creeps over time. The corrosion probably had gone on for several months, or even soon after you purchased the fridge.

Also, the water from the washing of kitchen floors may have contributed to the rust. The use of strong floor cleaner like the use of clorox, will cause rust. The clorox liquid is corrosive as it is a stain cleaning liquid. It probably have caused rusting on the doors, too.

During the washing of floors with mixture of water and clorox, the splashes of the mixture may have had wetted the door material from the underside of the doors.

Seriously, the material of the door is not made of stainless steel or steel that does not corrode. The material is normally a electro-galvanised coating on the base material of mild steel material.

The elctro-galvanised coating is a zinc coating on the surface of the base material. It helps to prevent rust but it does prevent rusting.

So the problem lies with 2 problems.

One is on the problme of the manufuacturer, Samsung. It did not have enough of zinc coating thickness on the metal base material.

Secondly, it did not have goos quality tests such as rust accelerations tests to see if how long will the base material last after the spillages of food ingredients, and floor chemicals, on is metal surface.

In any case, it is their standards of manufacture that consumsers cannot complain.

At best consumers should not buy their products. Consumers should continue to complain in "complainboard" in order force manufacturer to improve its quality standards to consumer demands.

Finally, the other thing is your maintenance of the fridge doors. You should also check if there is any punctuals in the internal surface of the fridge.

The pucture can cause liquid to seep to the base metal material. As the liquid in the base material cannot be cleaned, it can cause rust to occur from the inside to the outside of the metal.

• Ph
      7th of May, 2012

Yes, Samsung refrigerator and aircon cannot buy. My refrigerator is spolit just after 4 years! My parents' M brand goes onfor twenty years and no problems. The service charge is expensive! For the aircon, my neighbour's air con drips water on my ledge and is very noisy.

They might be cheap, but do not last.

• Se
      20th of Nov, 2012

yes . i regret buying samsung refrigerator model RT59QBSL.i just bought it on 2 july 2012 after around a month the frigde giving me problem all mine vegies become spoilt because of the coldness. even after lowered the temp.the samsung serviceman said something wrong with the fridge lever control & change it. now it happen again and call them up on monday (19-11-12) regarding the problem and they are coming on fri, they are busy till thur.imagine that. there must be a lot samsung products spoilt.i have never come across a brand new product give me problems so early except samsung.

• At
      17th of Oct, 2014

I bought the highest end samsung fridge and it got rusted within a year. Samsung replaced the rusted part and it rusted again and now they offer to pay me abt 30% of my purchased price to take the whole fridge back! Does this make sense? I contributed abt 70% of the purchased price for their R&D went wrong???!! I will never buy Samsung again. Terrible aftersales service! What a joke for a world renowned brand. Worse experience ever on home appliances. I don't recommend buying Samsung fridge if you are not a victim yet!

• At
      17th of Oct, 2014

I bought the highest end samsung fridge and it got rusted on the door within a year.

Samsung replaced the rusted part and it rusted again the following year now they are offering to pay me abt 30% of my purchased price to take the whole fridge back!

What happened to the other 70% that I have paid that doesn't go to owning a good product?

Does this make sense?

I contributed abt 70% of the purchased price for their R&D went wrong???!!

I will NEVER EVER buy a Samsung again. Terrible aftersales service! Taking more than 1 year to reply on a simple straightforward problem I face... A COMPLETELY LOUSY SAMSUNG PRODUCT!

What a joke for a world renowned brand.

• Do
      7th of Mar, 2015

I have a not-inexpensive french door Samsung fridge that started showing rust after 2 years- (door at base of water/ice dispenser) I tried to hide it with white fridge paint- but this has only gotten worse, & when contacting Samsung by email with pictures- (no response) & by phone- I was told this was a "cosmetic problem" & not covered by them- I would have to arrange my own repair.
    This I did ($99 Samsung service call), & was told the door had to be replaced.
    The service man then said these doors are no longer available, from Samsung.
    He could find only 2 available from dealers- so ordered 1.
    What chance do I have that this door will not suffer the same fate?
    Obviously rust was a result of poor engineering &/or shoddy construction- this should not happen to any fridge & be considered "normal" or "cosmetic".
    Had prior problem with ice-maker- which they did replace under warranty.
    Poor reliability & poor customer care- would not advise anyone to buy Samsung & I will never buy another Samsung product, made by a company that does not stand behind their products & problems.