Safeway / manager refused to refund expired items!!

Hawaii Kai, United States Review updated:

I shop at safeway every day.
I noticed that several products (mostly beef jerky) were expired. Then it made sense to me why they didn't taste good!!
I had paid $60 for products in september that expired as late as in may (!!)

I brought the receipts and products to safeway.
Cassady, the produce manager at safeway in hawaii kai refused to refund because the products had been consumed.

- the ones that hadn't been consumed she refused to refund because they had been purchased in another safeway, 7 miles away.

- the ones that were 'eligible' as a 'one time courtesy' by her standards she refused to refund because I didn't have the "credit card" I used to purchase the items on me (this is because I paid with an american express cash card which shows different numbers on the receipt than on the card).

Finally I had enough and asked for a claim / complaint form.
She said she would be right back.
A few minutes later an employee said she accepted to refund two of the items to a store card.

She returned 5 minutes later, ignored me, and went to talk to an employee. I approached her and asked for a claim form again.
She said they don't have it.

So I had to go online to find this complaint form.

I told a friend about this incident (we shop at safeway every day), and they said they had a bad experience with her too where she also refused to refund and even claimed that they didn't sell the product on the receipt in the store.

After this, I will have to check the expiration date on every item before I buy it, because even though it's against the law for a store to sell expired items, safeway has hired managers who refuse to refund!!!

I am pissed about this situation and the terrible management by safeway (I hope cassidy finds a more suitable job). I am now stuck with $55 expired items that are expired that safeway refused to refund. What a terrible experience!!! The only thing to do now is to go on youtube and warn people that safeway sells expired items and may refuse to refund. So we as consumers have to check each item we purchase before we complete the purchase. I'd rather go to costco.

Ba
Sep 27, 2018

Comments

• 9w
      Sep 27, 2018

just a thought but if the package is opened as you admit than how are they are anyone else to know when it was opened or if anything been done to the product?