Roomster.net / unauthorized charges!

NY, United States Review updated:
I was looking for a roomate and decided to use there service for 1 month only. I did not authorize any kind of automatic deduction of $29.95 to come from my credit every month after that. They do not have any number nor do they respond to e-mails regarding disputes or anything for that manner. I accept the charge for december only! They have continued to charge me for Jan, Feb Mar 2008 I have closed that account as of now, but this is upsetting as well as frustrating. I am currently out on disability because of a surgery I needed I'm having a hard enough time paying rent This service is useless !I never received any kind of responses from this service! I found a roommate through Craigs list in January which is free. I never would have agreed for roomster to bill me for more than one month at a time! Their ripping people off and someone should investigate!

Comments

Ca
  30th of Mar, 2008
I too recently joined Roomster back in January to find a place to live. I signed up for the 4 day trial at $5.95 and discovered I didn't like the site after logging in a few times. Yesterday, I noticed on my credit card statement that they have been charging me $29.95 for the months of January, February, and March. I went to the Better Business Bureau's website and found that there were 49 reports against this company as well as two listed phone numbers. I called one of them and it turned out to be some random guys cell phone, who was rude and told me not to call back again. I decided to e-mail them complaints over and over regarding the unauthorized charges made on my card. After over ten e-mails, they finally decided to credit back to my account the March service charge. I am still going to dispute the charges with my bank.

Roomster seems sketchy anyway. I was living across the street from one of the listings shown on the website. All of the information was completely false, if you knew the area, and the house at that address looked completely different from the photo online. The misleading Terms of Use is what they are banking on. STAY AWAY FROM ROOMSTER!!!
Sa
  2nd of Apr, 2008
I'm having the same problem, except in my case, when I go to cancel the subscription it either falsely tells me that is has succeeded [the charges suggest otherwise], or that the request cannot be processed. I've opened claims with BBB and PayPal so far, but PayPal already denied the movement. I sent in more information and am waiting to hear back from them again.

Also, there HelpDesk had this odd habit of not working at all until I sent a notification that I had filed a report with the BBB. Suddenly, it worked.
As
  12th of Aug, 2008
I agree to that this morning i checked my accont activity online and these people charged me 29.95 and I only signed up for a 7day trial for 5.95 I can't get in contact with them or anything but I am pissed what company doesn't have a phone number.
Sh
  12th of Feb, 2009
roomster is a scam. they give automated responses and take your money. they have put me in 50 dollars worth of debt to my bank. is there any way i can get a refund? have any of you gotten one other than carlin??
Nd
  6th of Mar, 2010
The problem is that it will not stop there; they will continue withdrawing money from your credit card unless you declare your card lost or stolen as I did. Roomster says that in order to stop the payment you need to cancel the subscription from your roomster account but there is no tab on your personal account to do so. There is a section where you can disable your account but they will still take money from your account every month. So I suggest you to cancel your credit card so they will issue a new card number for you and roomster will not have authorization to withdraw money from your account anymore. I know it is a nuisance to do so but it is the only way to stop them. I really wish someone will take legal action against them soon or later. In the mean time one way to revenge is to open a new FREE account with roomster and to use their GIVE A SHOUT to the other member warning everyone about the danger of giving roomster their credit card number. I have done so and I have warned about 10.000 around the world about this scam, but finally romster banned me from accessing their web site. So I decided to find a way around it and I downloaded a software to hide my IP address (you can do the same by following this link http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/download.htm ). Now I can access roomster.com again to continue my warning campaign. I hope that many people will follow my suit so roomster will have no choice but to actually go and get a real job to make a living as many of us do instead of stealing from honest people.

Roomster Logo Roomster