Rogers Wireless / contract scam

1 Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I have been waiting patiently for my Rogers wireless contract to expire in July 2009. A few days ago I sent an email to Rogers advising them that I want to cancel my contract in July. I received a reply, stating that my contract expires this month of July, but I would have to contact a representative by phone to cancel my contract. I made the call, and was advised by the customer service representative that my contract does not expire until July of 2010. I was angry as I had just received an email confirming that my contract expired this month. The customer service representative transferred me to another agent, and I explained the situation to her. She checked my file and insisted that my contract did not expire for another year. I became furious, and advised that I would report this to the CRTC, as it was a scam and a fraud. I told her to check my file and she would see that I have never signed a contract which would expire in 2010. She put me on hold and came back about 5 minutes later. She then stated that I was correct, and that my contract did expire in one week. She did not apologize, or express any concern that I had been so badly misinformed. She only asked me in a casual manner if there was anything else she could do for me. I told her that I wanted my account canceled, and that was the reason for the call in the first place, and that was the issue at hand. She acted as if she knew nothing about this request, even though I had been arguing with her about it for many minutes. I believe that Rogers does this deliberately, so that some customers will believe that they were mistaken, and will accept the extra year on their contract. This is a devious, dishonest practise, and I can't believe that they can get away with this.

Th

Comments

• Km
      28th of Jan, 2010

Exact same thing happened to me, what can I do?

• Cp
      8th of Feb, 2010

Hi all,
    itried to cancel my contract with Rogers in April because i was starting to get worry about my job. On the phone an operator gave me a very good deal (50% discount) and i decided to wait a bit before cancelling to try out the deal.
    The first bill i got was ALL wrong, the first rep i talked to was in denial but the second told me that the guy that set up my account made a mistake and then i was overcharged 420$!!!
    In June i lost my job and then i had to move back to my country in europe and i then called Rogers to cancel the contract. They told me that when i changed my contract in April, i also signed up for 3 years and i had to pay a cancellation fee. I was never advised about the 3 years contract from the previous operator and i refused to pay!!! since then i got bills that got up to 1400$ all this just NOT using the phone as i am abroad!!!
    These people have no ethic and respect for anyone!!!

• Ro
      9th of Feb, 2010

Hello cplpilot,

My name is MJ from Rogers online help team.

I saw your post and I would like to look into this for you.
    I've sent you a pm so you can reach me by e-mail.
    As soon as I've received your e-mail, I will look into it.

Hope to hear from you soon,

MJ
    @Rogers_MJ

• So
      23rd of Jul, 2010

We have the same problem here we supposedly we signed a 3 year agreement when we were month to month before, by asking to change a option on the month - to month account. Now having try to cancel, rogers is charging a $300 cancellation fee, which is nuts. We never signed anything, and their statement is anything verbal is considered a contract. However a verbal contract no matter what is not binding in this country.

• Om
      29th of Jul, 2010

My mother-in-law just found out this week that Rogers had added a second line to her wireless account in February! They are telling her that the second line was added by her and she now has to pay a $400 cancellation fee. Funny thing is they even admitted that she has never even used this second line at all! But they refuse to rectify the situation without charging her that cancellation fee!!! Everyone she talked to insisted that SHE added the line and the paperwork was on her Black berry box when she got it sent directly from Rogers. But there wasn't any paperwork and she never did sign or agree to add another line! So she has spent countless hours on the phone trying to get this fixed and now she has gone to her attorney! Good for her! Maybe now they will listen when THEY get a nasty letter from him!!!
    I was thinking of switching to Rogers... But I'm not now! No way! The more I read.. the more I see that company for what they really are... Rip off artists out to make a dishonest buck by stealing money from hardworking people!! I think I'll stay with Bell after all!

• Fr
      27th of Apr, 2011

I just cancelled two lines with rogers costing me $900, $400 for both lines plus $100 to cancel data on one line. They robbed me for 5 years, every month they had been charging a $25 reconnection fee when my line was not even disconnected, when I called them all they could say is some service was disconnected. Makes absolute no sense. After charging me an extra $140 on a $40 phone I had been calling for 9 months to get it resolved. They hire the rudest SOB's out there. I felt hopeless and cancelled and there is no way in hell I'm paying a penny whether it ruins my credit or not.