Rogers Wireless / terrible customer service!

1 Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada Review updated:

Accepting Responsibility I would like to relate the following as a warning to those who expect some compassion or understanding from Rogers Wireless.

1 year ago my family moved from Nova Scotia to Alberta with our 7 young children & and a family friend who wanted to better herself. Arriving in Medicine Hat I decided as a family we needed to keep in contact and got a Rogers Family Plan with 4 cellphones. 1 for my wife, 1 for myself, 1 for the children & 1 for our friend with the understanding that all she was required to do was pay the bill. She lived with us, and my wife being the manager of a large national store gave her employment.

My first bill came to over $600 – the sales reps had given me unclear and inaccurate information concerning minutes on our plan, and after contacting Rogers they agreed, reducing the bill by $200 and putting us on a more appropriate plan.

I continued to pay the bills on a regular basis, receiving no money from our friend after repeated requests. For months this continued to the point where I eventually stopped paying her portion of the bill and contacted Rogers who told me that because the contract was in my wife’s name we were responsible.

Eventually this friend’s bill was $1400 calling Nova Scotia on a nightly basis. I informed Rogers on several occasions and refused to pay her bill. Eventually Rogers cut us off, even though I had paid the bills for the remaining family 3 phones & contacted Rogers explaining the situation.

The friend returned to Nova Scotia, Rogers sent me a letter stating they had bought out our remaining contract and we now owed $2800, and put it in the hands of a collection agency, just before Christmas 2008. My wife has an otherwise spotless credit history – to keep it that way I went and got a loan ( paying $3500) and paid this ludicrous bill.

I know and accept that ultimately with my wife’s name on the contract we are ultimately reasonable, but Rogers could have shown a little compassion before Christmas time – they ensured my 7 children did not get what they wanted from Santa. I have this friend’s cell-phone, her numbers, friends & family of her in Nova Scotia, would not be hard to prove in a small claims court, yet Rogers would not believe me nor were they interested.

I am now considering pursuing through small claims court.

Regards.

Comments

• 09
      21st of Jan, 2009

I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW!!!

Phone Purchased Dec 15, 2007 even though the rep said since it was a Christmas gift that warranty would be from Dec 25, 2007 (LIE #1) from this store - Rogers Wireless in the medicine hat Mall (403) 528-1779

At the start of December 2008 the phone started to act up, power off suddenly, wouldn't send and receive picture texts, etc. Was on the phone with tech support for an hour or more trying to fix it and then they said to take it to the store for repair.

Went in Dec 29th because, well stores are closed somedays over Christmas, etc and we were away for holidays. But went in as soon as we could. Told them I was on the phone with tech support, etc and told me to bring it in. They said it was purchased Dec 15, 2007 and was off warranty, but that Motorola extends the warranty a couple weeks. I said that fine, plus mentioned that whoever sold it to me said the warranty would be from Dec 25, not the 15th. So that means it was only 4 days over warranty. So they sent it away saying it was under warranty (Lie #2)

So I sent it away, they call me to pick it up, totaly wrong phone. Slightly disappointed but I give the benefit of the doubt. I get a call today saying the phone is in, and it will be $150. This is the excuse they gave me, its not when you drop the phone off, its when the repair depot gets the phone. THATS THE HUGEST LOAD OF CRAP I EVER HEARD. the repair depot is in BC, what Im supposed to do, drive there. I don't care how they decided to get it there, puralotor, airmail or carrier pigeon, or if mail is delayed because of the holiday season, but its when you return it to the store, thank you very much.

So now basically they are holding my phone hostage. I called customer service and they said they cant do anything with the store directly. They said something about a hardware upgrade, but that would be $130 but then it wouldn't be the phone my wife sent in. So really this isn't a solution, as the phone my wife wanted isn't being given back to her

Is it common practice to have Rogers stores lie right to their customers faces, or is it just this one in general.

So Im asking now, what's going to be done about this. Every customer service rep today said they cant do anything about the store. is it in Rogers best interest to have a store that lies to customers. Lied to twice basically. Like i said above, I will take my business elsewhere and that store can take that phone and shove it somewhere.

My solution is, give me my old phone back, no cost to me. DONE Thats the simplest solution to keep an 8 year customer.

• Ro
      14th of Mar, 2011

rogers is really a money eating company. i think people should open their eyes and be careful when they do rip-off in the day time. i suffered and paid more than 1130$ just to get out of from rogers. i am immigrant, i don't want to have a problem. i suggest all the immigrants. never take cell phone from rogers for contract basis. if u take beyond this, i am sure to expect ur comment in 3-6 months time below my comment stating that i am right. good luck immigrants... watch out from rogers...