Rent A Center / harrassment & awful treatment

United States, Texas, Carrollton Review updated:
I rented a used washer & dryer from rent a center. I had them for about 6 months, and then I rented a tv. About 3 months into having the tv and washer and dryer, I was 3 days late on a payment. Even though I spoke to the person over my account and advised when I would pay, I got 12 phone calls the same day from the store I rented from. The following due date, I was called on the due date, in, as they put it, a courtesy reminder call, 16 times. When I spoke with them, I advised that I would be in the following business day, and was still called 8 times that next morning. I decided to let the washer & dryer go back, since I found a cheaper pair for cash. I called to speak to the person over my account, and instead the person that answered the phone spoke with me about my account. I had made previous arrangements to have the W & D picked up, but this new person proceeded to call me ignorant and a dead beat. Said I wouldn't have any problems if I learned to pay my bills on time. I explained that I had already spoken to my account manager, and the rudeness I've experienced with this store is why I was trying to sever my ties with RAC. He told me, it was my fault, I was receiving rude treatment, becuase I wasn't holding up my end of the bargain. I asked for a manager, he said he was the manager. I later learned he was not. Needless to say, they have their items back, and I will never deal with them again, and am advising others not to as well.

A  10th of Aug, 2009 by
I too have endured harassment from them. They have even called before the due date and often call on the morning of the due date before the damn store is even open. Plus they call at work, and if that fails, they'll call your boss to demand answers as to where you are.

To make it worst, they routinely amend their contracts to add months to keep on paying for stuff already paid for. Last year, the TV and computer wqere to be paid off July of this year, then towards the end they change it to October of this year. In July they informed us that the stuff won't be paid off until next spring. We've already paid this stuff off, but the contract we have does not have a date to pay it off, and all we have is the word of the local RAC manager, who keeps changing the terms. Plus every time we get close to paying this stuff off, they get more threatening to pick everything up, no doubt so they can re-sell this stuff already paid for in order to get additional profit.

Rent-A-Center Logo Rent-A-Center