Red Box / Charges despite movie being returned on time
I returned a movie to a Red Box at a Shop Rite grocery store on March 24 at 8 pm, one day after it was rented. The machine accepted the DVD and I thought everything was fine. Eleven days later on April 3 I received an email saying that the DVD had just been returned that day. I called customer service and they said they had no record of anyone renting the movie since I had checked it out on March 23. They said the machine at the return location had been operating properly during that entire period and because their system couldn't possibly be wrong, I had not returned the movie until April 3, and therefore I would be charged for the entire 11 day period. I insisted that I had returned the movie on the 24th and their system was wrong but they refused to budge. The rep said her supervisor agreed that the machine had to be right.
My advice to everyone is to be very skeptical of renting from Red Box. When you return a movie you are not given any receipt and you have no way to prove that you have returned the movie. If the Red Box system later says you didn't return the movie there is nothing you can do to prove otherwise and customer service will not believe you. You will be charged up to $25 for what they advertise as only costing $1 per day. I don't think they are trying to intentionally rip people off but their technology is obviously flawed and can't be trusted.
More Red Box Complaints & Reviews
- Redbox - charged me for a movie that I returned 
- Redbox - Questionable business practices! 
- Redbox - Constant Charging for DVD Returned 
- Redbox - Machines Not Accepting Returns 
- Redbox - Overcharging 
- Redbox Automated Retail - online chat
- Redbox Automated Retail - never have I had a successful purchase from redbox
- Redbox Automated Retail - poor account troubleshooting service and abysmal dvd stock in area 
- Redbox Automated Retail - kiosk and customer service.
- Redbox Automated Retail - the movies in the redbox located at the walgreens in taylor texas.