Qwest / scam and cheating

Phone: 877-879 -0611

I had Qwest wireless back in 2002 or 2003, (can't remember exactly) and at the time was disputing a $200 contract cancellation fee they began charging me after I canceled my service for mistakes they had made on my bill. I kept the home phone service, and still have it now in 2008.

As I recall in the best way my memory can offer me after 7 years, Qwest was charging me full-price for something that the customer service rep had told me was either free or at a lower discounted price when I first ordered the service. After disputing this on the phone with Qwest several times over a few months or so, trying in vain to get them to adjust my bill to show the proper lower charges, I finally called and canceled the service out of sheer disgust over the whole thing.

The next billing cycle they then added a $200 cancellation fee. Upset because I thought this was unfair, I called to dispute the $200, explaining why I had canceled my service in the first place -- because they were charging me for something the customer service rep said was free. I told them I felt I didn't deserve to be charged the $200 because it was Qwest who had messed up by misleading me into thinking I was getting a free (or discounted) item upon signing up for wireless.

So, after the next couple of billing statements, I saw that the $200 had been dropped, and I was happy that I had gotten through to them, and they had apparently agreed to drop the charges. For the next few years the $200 was gone from my bill, and I figured that was the end of it.

Well, not so fast. Now, in late 2008 I suddenly get a collection notice in the mail for the Qwest $200, along with $80 for a past wireless bill, for a total of $280, some 7 years after the fact! Talk about a cheap shot! Not only did they not let it go, but now they come after me years later with the collection company -- and they're the ones who screwed up!

I'm posting this here because I want other people to be aware of Qwest's deceptive and ongoing questionable business practices. Seems since the economy is so bad now, this company will do anything to make money.

Ri

Comments

• Be
      23rd of Oct, 2008

FRAUD VICTIM. THESE ACCT... IS NOT MINE.

• Ro
      5th of Feb, 2009

In September I found a notice on my door from Qwest, they had upgrade our neighborhood to high speed digital fiber, and were offering deals of $29/mo for the low end which I was using and paying $42/mo or $44/mo for their new 12GB service. I called them and was assured that yes I could be upgraded for just a few $$ more than I was currently paying. After a lengthy discussion with the Qwest rep I upgraded to their new service. By November I was being charged $65 for the service plus an additional $14 for MSN which I specifically did not want. I called them and was told those charges would be removed from my bill and I would be charged the $44/mo originally quoted. A month later I get another statement with the charges they were going to remove now listed as past due and my charges are back to the $65 +$14, when I called again I was told the only way I could get the (now) $46/mo rate was to sign a 2 year contract and there was no way they could roll back the price over the last 2 months. This is a ripoff from a company that now controls most of telecom.

• St
      24th of May, 2009

Qwest common practice is to lie about service and then change charges on your bill to charge more than quoted. They do it to almost all customers but few people catch it because of the complex billing. I've complained to the BBB but Qwest is a major sponser and have basically paid off the BBB to turn a blind eye. I hope as the word gets out some attorney will start a class action against this devious company. Their stock is sinking and no wonder!

• Ir
      28th of Jul, 2009

billed for services i did not use or authorize

• Be
      30th of Jul, 2009

i agree hardly, i had qwest for more than ten years, when you have billing concern they keep tranfert you almost to every division. i had enough with qwest they don t train their employees properly, neither no one can answer you with some knowledge they guess, there is surcharges in the taxes section absolutely scaming the average consumer, this company is making a billion dollars from those surcharges and hidden fees.

• Ng
      16th of Aug, 2010

Got qwest in June of 2008 and in December of 2009 upgraded my service to high speed internet, now I am not in Colorado anymore and they want to charge me $200 dollars for disconnect. They said I locked myself into a contract when I upgraded. Qwest clearly states that if you change your service you will not be locked into a contract, but that is not so. Consumers beware Qwest is stealing from us, class action lawsuit is the answer. You would think they learned from the ones against Sprint and Verizon, making people pay for changing their plan is absurd. Never again will I do business with Qwest!!!

• Wi
      24th of Sep, 2010

Both Qwest and Anfi showed up on my annual credit report.
    Since I've never had accounts with either, I can only attribute this to straight out fraud and scamming.
    I haven't had and won't have land line based service.
    Now I get to smear, and repeat and doing the same over a long time, both Qwest and Anfi all over the internet.
    Of course, I'll have both of them removed from my credit report.

14th of Apr, 2011

Totally agree with all these complaints, I would change and switch my Internet service, but QWEST is the ONLY internet service out here, so they kind of "Corner the Market" and SCAM customers as "ALL" these complaints Say!!
    My Scam, was when they charged "FULL" $80 price, for 11 days of Internet. They do "NOT" tell you to wait until 3 days before your Bill closes, so when they connect your Internet, it will connect with your new Billing. Instead of charging FULL price for what ever days it takes to get to your New Billing!!
    If any one knows of some Good Internet service @ $20 - $30, let me know

Raul
    PHX

• J1
      15th of Apr, 2011

Qwest is the worst company I had to dealt with in the US so far since I really don't have much choice. The place I stayed was pre-installed with Qwest telephone and wire (?) so that in order to use Internet, Qwest is our ONLY choice. Everytime we made a bargain (not really a bargain but a deal let's say), I have to call EVERY SIGNLE MONTH to question the price and the phone representives would always say "I don't know why they will still charge you that price but I see nothing's wrong here..." A total pain in the [censor]... And also in case to lure you to sign 2-yr contact with them they will just agree all of your requires. Every single person I know using it has issues with it. Shame on this company.

15th of Apr, 2011

Well Guys, let me tell you what happened to me when I complained to the Head Office, HQ, Corporate "Head Huncho", CEO...
    I received a letter from his secretary, Mrs Sweet... and she wasn't so "Sweet" at all. She basically told me not to write to her boss, unless I had some thing nice to say. She went as far as to look up my account, because she mentioned it looked like I was very satisfied, since I kept my account up to date and in order. She did "NOT" know about "ALL" these complaints, and all the trouble I went through with QWEST, about 8 years ago, when they tagged on "Sprint" as my long distance provider, with out my authorization. I do not even want to get into the trouble I am having "NOW" with them.
    I wrote to Mrs Sweet again recently, and told her to pass on the complaint I was sending her. I should print "ALL" these complaints, and send them to her.
    "Good Luck" to ALL!!

Raul
    PHX

5th of May, 2011

If you cancel Qwest internet and have to return your leased modem, MAKE SURE YOU SAVE YOUR SHIPPING RECEIPT. I can't stress that enough. I had Qwest DSL from about 2003 to 2010, when I was tired of the errors and decided to switch the phone and internet to Comcast. In a few days I received a shipping label for returning my modem, and did so well before the deadline. After receiving my final bill, I noticed I supposedly owed more than I usually did (after prorating?), and on top of that, they tried to pin the modem on me, for the $60 purchase price. I called about it, and the rep said they had "no record" (ah, the old "no record" excuse) of receiving the modem, and that I better pay it or the account is going to collections. I called her bluff and whipped out my shipping receipt, and gave her the tracking number. After about 5 minutes on hold, she comes back on and says they did find record of receipt. Imagine that! They "had no record" until I busted them with the tracking number. Then the record magically appears in their database. They must have a policy to screw over recently canceled customers one last time, hoping they'll just meekly pay it to get it over with. I may have been stuck paying the final bill that mysteriously increased after prorating, but the apparently fraudulent modem charge was nipped in the bud. Save those shipping receipts!!

20th of May, 2011

If you have a problem with Qwest send an email to talktoqwest@qwest.com

20th of May, 2011

Already did!!! I copied "ALL" these complaints to my E-mail and sent it!!!
    NOT that it will do any good, since I have written to Qwest at there billing address, their corporate offices in Seattle Washington and in Colorado. "Never" resolved any thing, but got a reply from the CEO secretary... Asking me "NOT" to write to him unless I had some thing "nice" to say...
    "Not Gonna Happen"!!!

20th of May, 2011

Unfortunately, your mail was not delivered to the following address:

155.70.32.98 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 ... User unknown
    Giving up on 155.70.32.98.

--- Enclosed is a copy of the message.

"Unfortunately ... my E-mail got returned as such...

From: RAUL MURILLO
    Date: May 20, 2011 10:33:17 AM GMT-07:00
    To: talktoqwest@qwest.com
    Subject: If you have a problem with Qwest ... So Be It!!

Qwest
    Posted: 2009-01-23 by Riko

21st of May, 2011

Sorry! Provided wrong email address. It is: talktous@qwest.com

Talk To Qwest

Qwest has launched Talk to Qwest, a program focused on resolving customer service issues through online outreach.
    Talk to Qwest provides quick and courteous resolution for customers who need assistance.
    Need something? TalkToUs@qwest.com or follow us:
    www.twitter.com/TalkToQwest

21st of May, 2011

BTW Qwest was purchased by CenturyLink and the Qwest brand is expected to be history sometime in August 2011.

Check out http://www.centurylink.com to find out more.

• Po
      3rd of Jun, 2016

The person who quoted you $25 a month must have been very untrained. I have their wireless internet only and I pay $40 a month. Though your first bill should have been more for installation, it should have evened out afterwards. Sorry you're having a tough time.

3rd of Jun, 2016

I am a college student and upon moving into my first place I got Qwest for internet service. The house I lived in was old and the phone line wasn't connected so I called after getting service to come install a phone line so I would be able to use the internet. During this time on the phone trying to get a service tech to come out they told me I could bundle my verizon service into one bill with them so I agreed.

After scheduling two times for them to come install the phone line, only to have no one show, I cancelled my qwest service and thats where it all began. They tried to tell me id have to pay for the two months I had gone without service even though I never had internet access because they never installed it! They also informed me id have to pay the termination fee which I was fine with just not the service I never had.

During this time I paid my verizon bill individually since I had cancelled my qwest service. However months later I get an outstanding bill of $800 (yes $800!!!) from qwest saying that they had paid multiple verizon bills. I did a three way call with verizon and qwest where verizon told qwest we had paid the bills and they still wont drop it. I called countless times and have spent 5 hours easy talking to them. Now im getting daily harassing/rude calls from qwest to pay for a service I never had and phone bills ive already paid. My mother has even talked to them and they constantly give the run around saying my ONLY option is to pay them the full $800+ dollars. I would have easily gone without internet if I had know this is how it would be.

• Uc
    Qwest - Scam
    Qwest

Use caution when you order wireless internet.
    write the employee name down and their call center location.Be sure you include all services needed to get the best rates write all quotes these are without tax

I ORDERED THE SERVICE IT TOOK ME HOURS TO RESOLVE THE OVERCHARGES.

My first 3 bills were $160 a month they quoted $25 a month for the service I now pay a total $58 a month taxes included
    it includes unlimited long distance
    wireless internet
    call messaging
    last call return *69
    call forwarding

be diligent they scam big time

I hope the new company owners clean up the deceptive practices they were billions in debit I imagine they were scamming to get
    their debits resolved