Publix / terrible experience

United States Review updated:

As a current employee of Publix and a past employee of Winn-Dixie, I have observed attitudes and actions at Publix that remind me of the years proceeding the collapse of Winn-Dixie and a few other chains that family "inherited" when the patron passed. Publix seems to have the attitude of, it's worked for 60 years, why change it... this is 2008.

Management is not always chosen for their capabilities but for their seniority, color (in the warehouses, blacks seem to get the breaks). If a black manager screws up, we send them for "retraining", if a white manager (or worker) screws up, they are fired.

A system of performance tracking that more closely resembles the old Domino Pizza gimmick of 30 minutes or it's free!! Percentages are calculated by computer to set a goal for forklift operators that create a dangerous atmosphere in the warehouse, the forklift operator not only has to get 100% for a 5 out of 5 in performance, they must get 107%??

If you complain, you have pretty much signed your death certificate, your days with Publix are numbered. Long term employees in management sitting and watching their retirement grow while the company stagnates around them... this was one of Winn-Dixies biggest blunders.

If you are not part of the "clic" you might as well settle for being a warehouse flunky, no mater how smart, dedicated, or motivated you are.
Va

Comments

Br
  11th of Mar, 2009
As long as you are able bodied, management will be half way decent to you. God forbid if you get hurt on the job. You then become dirt under their feet and might as well quit because they will find a way to fire you or make you miserable enough to quit. As a former warehouse employee who was injured on the job I was treated like dirt and while being hospitalized they never once called, sent a card, nor came to see me. ( Miami Warehouse--1972-73 ) Management at that time consisted of the good old boys who worked employees like cattle. After Mr. Jenkins passed on the sons took over and ran the business like a concentration camp. If anyone needs to know my name or particulars to back up what I say just email me at my enclosed address. I have been disabled since my accident at Publix and am now 72 years old.
branta99@gmail.com
Gl
  25th of Aug, 2009
I worked in the actual store. I left Winn Dixie since they offered better pay, etc. They considered full-time a promotion, so I was hired on as part-time. They told me that if I worked hard, I would get full-time within a month. Well, considering my past management experience with Winn Dixie, I thought this would not be very difficult. I was wrong. Months passed by, and I was constantly put off whenever I inquired about the position. After they hired a black man off of the street (who actually had LESS experience than me) as full-time, I had enough. I had a sit down with my manager and let him know how I felt this was racist. I asked him if I was doing anything wrong, and if so it was his job to correct me so I would become a better employee. He continued on telling me how great of a worker I was, etc. I eventually got full time. There is a guy there (white guy) that has been with the company for a year. He has worked hard, been promised full-time, etc. Well, they consistently made him work full-time hours even though he was only part-time. A few months later, a black man off of the street gets hired in as full-time.

They claim they promote from within, which is not entirely true, since they considered full-time a promotion. Not to mention, the black man who was hired off of the street FULL-TIME was a horrible worker and constantly violated company policy including sexual harassment. He got a lot of weekends off, unrequested, while the rest of us had to work on weekends. It took them a year to fire the guy. (he was fired for stealing time, although he had been doing this for quite sometime)

I worked my ### off only to be fed candy coated lies. I suppose that is what I get for being white. I feel there is some racism going on.

I have many complaints, but not enough time to list them all.

I'm glad I am no longer with Publix.
Pa
  22nd of Dec, 2009
I agree. Favortism is crazy in my store also. Everday i watch as my A.C. runs in the door 10, 20, even 30 minutes late but she has never been suspended, like other employees have. I watch as 2 people in the same dept same title same years in service one is mentored and given all opportunities and the other gets terrible schedule no mentoring. It is so sad watching. Whats really sad is the one who is getting all the attention and is getting all the praise is an awful employee with horrible customer service skills. He is arrogant, mean and i question his morals on so many levels. The one getting pushed out is very nice hes naturally kind and warm. He is going to be a wonderful manager for another company because poor leadership is pushing him out the door.

Publix Super Markets Logo Publix Super Markets