Professional Fitness/Gold's Gym / cancellation of contract

United States, Utah, Salt Lake City Review updated:
Professional Fitness
Salt Lake City
Professional Fitness is a company that is headquartered in Raleigh but they contract with Gold's Gym. Recently I signed up for a membership with Gold's Gym and also signed up for a trainer with Professional Fitness. In the contract with Professional Fitness it says that due to medical issues I can cancel. Unfortunately working with the trainer increased my asthma attacks and I was using my inhaler more and more. The customer service rep told me that with a letter from my doctor I could cancel the contract. I got the letter and sent it to them only to be told they lost it. I sent it twice after that -- return receipt requested -- both times they lost the letter along with the check for $100 which they requested to bring the contract current and then cancel it.

I then finally was able to speak to a woman by the name of Tiffany who explained to me that my illness was not serious enough to warrant a cancelation. No where on their contract is a list of serious illnesses. So now this supervisor was playing doctor. I have tried the to get this contract canceled for months but to no avail. You can very rarely talk to someone there they transfer you when you ask for the cancelation department which gives you a voice mail.

D  2nd of Apr, 2009 by
This post is WRONG. Professional Fitness is the outsourced Personal Training Department for Peak Fitnss not Gold's Gym. Professional Fitness has never been a part of the Gold's Gym's in Raleigh. If the person making the post can't even remember the name of the gym she signed up at, how can she remember any of the details. haha
N  28th of Apr, 2009 by
A  11th of May, 2009 by
I agree!! I am no longer a member of Peak Fitness but am still getting charged for Professional Training. It's impossible to use their services if you are not a member of the gym!! First and most irritating is that I had to hunt down the number to cancel my contract with them only for them to tell me I had to send a certified letter, which I did in October. Side note, I voiced this concern when I originally signed up and was assured it was NO BIG DEAL, the salesperson even chuckled as he showed me how unofficial the contract was! They drafted a payment from my card on 11/24/08 and sent me a letter on 11/28 telling me I needed to send a cashiers check or money order for $80. I tried to tell them that they got their $80 on 11/24 from my draft and that since no services were rendered and $80 is $80 no matter what form!! I only got the run around. They are like trained monkeys just repeating the contract. A real service provider would not have to use tactics as this to make money!! Surprisingly, I never heard another word until I recieved a collections call in MAY telling me I owed $460!!! Surely, I thought I could straighten it out... so I called the collections office who gave me the number to their " CORPORATE OFFICE" real CORPORATE... LET ME TELL YOU! The rep I spoke with even agreed with me that the charges were ludicrous but couldn't help.From what it seems, his superiors care NOTHING at all about doing the right thing by their customers. I have added my experience to the countless complaints reported to the Attorney Generals office and recommend any and all to do the same. I know this is their livlihood but its a terrible business practice that needs to be called out.
if it comes down to it I will stand at Peak Fitness warning people about it... they are not getting any of my money!
A  11th of Oct, 2009 by
What Gold Gym does should be criminal I think everyone should ban together and make it known what crooks they are!!!
N  24th of Oct, 2009 by
I also agree! I signed up with Peak Fitness in August of 2008. I signed up with a trainer in the beginning of July. They told me I received 3 free consultations with a trainer when I signed up at Peak. Well a trainer from Professional Fitness approached me while I was at the gym. He told me that there was no contract length and I could cancel at any time and I had to pay my first month and last month up front and just had to give a 30 day notice. When I cancelled my gym membership in August 2009 (the following month) after Professional Fitness already drafted another $100 from my account, when I called to cancel with Professional Fitness, they said I needed to pay almost $300. I never paid it and I got a letter in a mail from National Fitness (which is an outsourced agency) saying I needed to pay $1400 and it's only October. The worst part about it was that I paid Professional Fitness $300 in those two months and only received 2 weeks of training, because my trainer went on vacation for 3 weeks and when she came back I was gone for 2 weeks.
A  30th of Dec, 2009 by
They work with Peak and Gold's. I think we should organize and have a riot out front on six forks road! I just want my money back!!! I do not need all of the aggravation and running around...it's my money and they owe me!!!
N  20th of Jan, 2010 by
I had a similar problem, where, besides charging $500 for cancelling (which is in the contract), they kept the $650 deposit I gave, wanting to keep a total of $1, 150. My suggestion: IF YOU THINK YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF, YOU CAN FILE A CLAIM TRHOUGH THIS WEBSITE: http://www.ncdoj.gov/Consumer/2-2-12-File-a-Complaint.aspx My understanding is that many people are being affected by them, so there is no point in wasting your time leaving messages or asking to talk to a manager (THERE IS NEVER ONE!!). So file complaints to get these people in the right place!
N  12th of Aug, 2010 by
The only thing you have to do to get your money back is go the other route call your credit card company and dispute the payment and they will take the money out of their account and all you have to do is listen to the person on the dispute dept. of your credit card. Ask them what procedure you should follow.
N  13th of Nov, 2010 by
The Gold's gym in Spanish Fork, UT and Provo, UT have bullies for some of their employees as well as many incredibly rude gym members! I have a slight facial defect that I cannot do anything about and because of this I have been ridiculed, called ugly, dog, etc. ad nauseum... numerous times by the vain and mannerless people who are at thess gyms. I have complained to the supervisors at both gyms but nothing seems to change. What ever happened to civility, and living by the Golden Rule? Sorry people even if you are "beautiful" on the outside if your ugly in the way you treat others you are just a plain unattractive human being.

Gold's Gym Logo Gold's Gym