Proactiv Solution / Subscription without consent

MI, United States Review updated:
3.35

Yesterday I received in the mail a box from Proactiv Solution containing their anti-acne solution and a receipt saying my credit card had been charged and that I was signed up for a subscription to their product. I had never heard of Proactiv before and had certainly not signed up for a subscription or given consent for my credit card to be charged. I have no idea how they got access to my credit card number (the last 4 digits were on the receipt).
When I called the company, they agreed to cancel the shipping charge and send me a label to send back their product, promising to cancel the charge upon its return. The charge has not appeared on my online credit card statement thus far.
I am really hoping that I will not have to go through the pain of canceling my credit card and getting a new one. Even then, the worry is that there is some unscrupulous third party that I do business with that is selling my information to Proactiv.
Ti

Comments

Ja
  14th of Feb, 2009
The same exact thing happened to me yesterday -- when I called Proactiv I learned that the order was associated with a fraudulent e-mail address. I decided to cancel my credit card number, because obviously someone (presumably within the company) stole that number and now has access to it.

This is criminal activity. I believe this company operates out of California. Should I contact California's Attorney General? Any advice would be appreciated.
Kk
  28th of Jul, 2010
Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe someone else stole your credit card and called the company and placed in order under your information. lf you are at all smart you would have contacted your credit card company and changed your card information anyone. Be more careful about who has your credit/ debit card information.