Priceline / hotel room reservation problems

On 6/28/07, I reserved a hotel through Priceline and was charged $77/per night through “name your own price.” I had initially bid $60, but was told by Priceline that if I added $17 more, they could try again. Since my intention was to get a room with 2 queen beds, I was okay with paying $77.

That same day, I called the hotel and the management told me that the room reserved was for a room with a king-size bed costing $69/per night. Note that I paid $77 through Priceline. The hotel refused to give me a room with 2 queen beds. At that moment, I called Priceline and was told by Wallace (a customer service specialist) that the hotel wasn’t supposed to tell me the figure of $69. After he spoke with the hotel manager, he was told that if I paid $6 more, I would be able to get the room that I wanted. According to the hotel, the total would come out to $75. Again, I paid $77.

The next day (6/29/2007), I sent over an email to Priceline’s executive services and after several email exchanges with someone named Ryan P, I was told that there was nothing they could do about this. I requested a refund or be able to get a room with 2 queen beds for the price I had already paid. This, I believe, was very reasonable under the circumstances. This same day, however, the price went up to $85 for both the king and queen room. This was the reply I received when I mentioned that the hotel says I paid $69. The hotel manager (the same person I spoke to earlier) now does not acknowledge or deny the fact that she told me this figure earlier.

Today (7/2/2007), I sent another email asking for them to directly address this issue and also asked to be escalated to upper management if they could not do anything at their level. I was told not to expect any response to any further correspondence. I was also told the following:

“We wish we could provide the answers you are looking for; however, these policies are directly tied to contractual agreements with our travel partners. This in turn allows us to continue to offer competitive pricing and subsequent savings to our customers.”

Now, as I see it, I received no such competitive pricing or any subsequent savings. I replied back asking that I be able to speak or write to Ms. Gillingham, the VP of operations and customer service. So far, I received no reply, as I was told by Ryan P.

I’m stuck with having a King bed for two adults (non-couples) to share.

Comments

• Tr
      21st of Apr, 2008

Okay let me give you a little insight from someone in the hotel business. First off 99.9% of hotels hate priceline, hotels.com, expedia, and all other 3rd party reservations. Nothing against the guests themselves, but those companies tend to make promises that they can't keep. They can't guarantee a certain bed type, when they book your reservation, it is booked as a "House Reservation" meaning whatever is available upon check in. If you want to guarantee bed type book with the hotel directly. In regards to pricing. The hotel should not have disclosed the rate that priceline is paying them to you, but unfortunately it happens once in a while. The rate they gave you is what priceline pays them. What you pay priceline is of course going to be higher, they have to make money off the reservation. Bottom line if you have requests book with the hotel itself, if you have no preference for anything then book with a 3rd party. You get what you pay for.

• Pu
      6th of Mar, 2010

Due to system error in priceline computers, if you update your offer price to a lower price, it may still keep the original higher price. To avoid this, if you ever change anything in your offer [place, type of car or hotel, price, date, etc.], log out of your account, close your browser and delete all temporary files and history from cache and open your browser again and log in again and only then re-submit. This happenned to me and I called them at 800-774-2354; got customer service in Guadaljara in Jasilco state in Mexico, and after being put on hold many times, they finally agreed it was their fault and cancelled my reservation at no charge [initially tried to charge me twenty dollars cancellation fee but i had to fight against it]

• De
      11th of Nov, 2013

Priceline is terrible at customer relations. They do not help resolve problems they make you work hard to get your refund when a mistake is made and the hotels do not like when you book with third parties. I experience with priceline was the the worst of any travel booking I have done before. I would never use them again and would not recommend any one book hotels using third parties.