Petsmart / horrible experience

1 Irvington RdTucson, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 520-573-6652

A couple weeks back I stopped in Petsmart to buy some Natural Choice dog food in both dry bag & single packs for my dogs. As I was reaching in to get several packets of Lamb & Rice singles I felt a wet gooey substance on my hand. As I pulled my hand away this nasty foul smelling substance came with it & flung all over my purse & items in the cart. And I could see more of it over some of the other packets of different selections.
At 1st I thought it was diarrhea dog poop, but whatever it was it was far more foul than anything I've ever encountered. (Mind you I've dealt with a lot of bad nasty smelling things having been raised on a ranch. This far exceeded that!)
Upon making the sales help aware of the situation, they just told me to throw stuff in a cart. I had to them ask them where could I wash my hand, & they then directed me to use the stuff they have to clean up dog messes. It didn't help & I was getting more nauseous by the minute. I had to them ask where their bathroom was so that I could wash my hands. After scrubbing my hands 4 times, the horrific smell continued to linger, it was nightmarish!
Not the sales help standing around, nor the so-called manager, Justin, gave a damn that there was a horrible foul unknown substance on the dog food items! No one step forward to check it out or even clean it up! They didn't seem concerned that other customers would be exposed to whatever it was! There were no apologies, nothing!!!
When I got home I called Petsmart & related what happened while in their store. They were surprised & said that was not how they treated their customers, & thus would pass the info on to Corporate. Before that I had to wash my hands several more times to try & remove the horrific smell, 6 tries later & lemon juice finally removed it.
I finally got a return call from the head manger of their Irvington store. What a joke that was. I was made to feel that I might have overreacted & that upon his "inspection" he didn't find anything! Talk about a slap in the face. I then stated that one of his help & I described her had smelled my hands & drew back in reaction to it. Ask her I said. He told me he has over 30 employees working there & that he can't remember them all! (I think the poor man needs to find another career, as my husband has over a 150 some employees & he knows everyone of them.)
I still don't know what it was, but I have no desire to enter their store again after the deplorable, unprofessional, kind of, sort of half-assed apology & "we don't really give a damn" response by Petsmart.

Sh

Comments

23rd of Feb, 2009

Come on Jason she had a real complaint. Ya the petsmart in Louisville KY, is also really nasty and after a year they quit caring about picking up the dog crap outside the store. You go into the store and there is animal piss everywhere. and no one caring to clean it up.

• Vi
      22nd of Mar, 2009

chances are, since it was on/near the single packs, it was probably from one of the packs bursting and then going rancid. It happens from time to time, though the customer service you got was deplorable if you're being honest. I work at PetSmart and that's not how we are trained to deal with customers.

14th of Jun, 2009

I too work at Petsmart. The truth of the matter is, the store is ALWAYS filled with dirty, disgusting things much like what was described above. Our store is located in Baltimore, MD and our monthly sales #'s exceed those of ANY eastcoast/mid-atlantic Petsmart. Needless to say, the store is constantly packed with customers (and, in turn, their animals, which many people choose to bring in). The comment regarding the fecal matter and urine outside and inside of the store is laughable. When you have 100's of dogs/cats walking through the store on a daily basis, it is inevitable they will do their business within the premises. Not only do we not know that it there always (as if we have some sort of ###/piss radar), but it is actually the owner's responsibility to clean up their animals' mess, which is the reason there are numerous "Oops!" stations located throughout the store. Come on now folks, it's a pet store. There is always going to be some sort of mess somewhere. We have rotten food packets on our shelves as well, filled with maggots none the less, which, if you've ever smelt maggots, they smell horrible. It is an ongoing problem throughout nearly every petstore across the nation, and I hate to say it, but no matter what anybody says or how high up the chain they climb in quest of a resolution, the problem will NEVER end. That's all there is to it. So suck it up, make your purchases and move on with your lives instead of blogging about it like a whiny little ###. NOBODY CARES!!!

• Co
      25th of Jun, 2009

To Chuck Book - you have obviously missed the original point. Yes, there will always be messes like this in pet stores across the nation - HOWEVER, what the original poster is complaining about is the POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE and LACK OF RESPECT by the store management. To be dismissed the way she was after making a legitmate mistake is just terrible CUSTOMER SERVICE. And look who is calling the kettle black - why don't YOU move on with YOUR life instead of blogging about the bloggers like a whiny little ###! Sheeesh!

• Mo
      17th of Jul, 2009

Chuck, I work at Petsmart also and you really just help her make her point about horrible customer service by acting and talking that way. We, as Petsmart employees, should make the company look better by conducting ourselves in a positive outlook. By acting like a degenerate, you make the company look bad.

Sherrie, things will happen that we at Petsmart sometimes can not see. I do not think the way they acted, if the story is correct, is acceptable. There is alot of nasty stuff that some times gets overlooked or missed, and the company should try to quickly correct the situation. Come to my store and I promise you if I am working, you will be taken care of!

• Li
      30th of Sep, 2012

I completely agree about the poor customer service! There is something terribly wrong with the company culture--across the board. Here's what happened to my family:
    My husband and I were shopping with our dog today at the Petsmart on East Grant Rd, Tucson, AZ, and had training treats to reinforce good behavior with us. We were suddenly approached by the manager and told to leave. He asked us no questions. He said, "You can't train your dog here. You'll have to leave the store." I told him that we visit the store every week to buy food and toys and that we always train him as we walk through the store. He said, "No, you'll have to leave. You can't train your dog here. It's store policy. We have dog obedience classes here and what you're doing is like grooming your dog in the back of the store, when we have a grooming service here." I said, "We aren't trainers. This is our pet, and we're only socializing him." He was relentless. He went on and on and seemed so agitated, as if there had been a slew of professional dog trainers coming in with clients and their dogs. Yet, he never asked us who we were, nor did he approach us with any kind of courtesy.
    Finally, we put back the food we were about to purchase and said we'd never shop at Petsmart again. It didn't seem to bother him at all, but he did say that we could stay if we weren't professionals. I thought, Now why would I want to buy anything from a store that had a manager who would verbally accost a customer without asking any questions?!
    It also occurred to me that dog trainers don't sell food. So, why would the store not welcome anyone who wishes to purchase store items and reinforce good dog behavior?!
    The whole experience was a stunning example of failed customer service. This manager has lost the company thousands of dollars from a heretofore great customer.