Petsmart

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 by

pet hotel langhorne, pa

First of all I have nothing against PetSmart. In fact my daughter worked at 2 different PetSmarts while she attended college and enjoyed it. I dropped off my cat Smokey on September 1, 2017 at the Fairless Hills, PA PetSmart hotel for a long term boarding of 10 days. We had boarded her there a few years ago for a 3 or 4 day boarding and had no problems. This time when I picked Smokey up around noon on September 10, 2017 I didn't realize there was a problem until I returned home (15 min drive) as they gave her back to me in the pet carrier. The staff raved about Smokey told me she did fine and that she was a great cat. As soon as I took Smokey out of the carrier I knew there was a problem. She was very thin, lethargic, stumbling when walking, and kept falling down. Her fur was dull and came out in clumps. She would not eat or drink or use the litter box. I thought maybe she was stressed from being boarded for so long so I waited several hours to see if she improved before calling the Pet Hotel to see what happened to her. She did not improve. When I called, I spoke to the Pet Hotel manager named "Suzie". She was very defensive and said there was nothing wrong with Smokey when they put her in the carrier. When I insisted there was something wrong with her, Suzie said I could take her to a vet and bring her the bills and she would submit them to "corporate". That statement led me to believe that Suzie DID know there was something wrong with Smokey. So I told her that is what I would do. It was Sunday and our vet was closed until Monday morning. Well there are no vet bills to submit because Smokey died that night. I do not want to speak to Suzie again as I am very angry that this happened. There is no way Suzie or any of the other staff could NOT have known something was wrong with Smokey. Her condition did not suddenly appear. Your advertisements state that there is a vet on call. I cannot understand why the vet was not called. Smokey is 15 years old and maybe it was her time to pass on, but I am so upset about the condition she was returned to me in after staying at PetSmart. My guess is that she stopped eating since she was so weak when I picked her up. Her report card stated that there were "leftovers" regarding her feeding. I should have questioned that. My tiny 5 lb cat had a healthy appetite and there should not have been leftovers when she only gets a 3oz can of wet food per day and dry food available all the time. I sincerely hope and pray that you will take some type of action to make sure this does not happen to another pet family. Perhaps more training for staff to recognize symptoms of illness in cats. I can understand that illness could be missed if they spend alot of time sleeping. Regardless, I am heartbroken over the loss of my Smokey and so mad at myself that I trusted a chain store like PetSmart to take care of my pet instead of boarding her with a vet.
Complaint comments Comments (1)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Pets & Animals

Comments

N  20th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
The same exact thing happened to my Buddy at a NJ facility. I left him boarding and picked him up a total mess. He passed 3 weeks later from renal failure which he didn't have prior to boarding here. I feel your pain 100%.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree