Petsmart Grooming / improper grooming practices

1 Spokane, WA, United States Review updated:

I scheduled an appointment for my Standard Poodle puppy to get his first full grooming at the Spokane Valley PetSmart. I live a long way out of town, so I had made other plans with my disabled mother for mother's day while he was to be groomed. After driving a very long way, when I tried to drop him off, they said he couldn't be groomed that day because he had a shot within the last 24 hours. They didn't mention this restriction when the appointment was scheduled. I drove over 65 miles to be told it was a wasted trip. And I couldn't even take my mother out because I couldn't leave him in the hot car, so we just had to return home, getting nothing done.
The next time I brought him in, a week later, I described how I wanted him groomed, including specific instructions to not trim the hair on his head. When I went to pick him up he looked great except they trimmed his head hair short. I complained politely to the manager, he read from the computer the instructions I gave when I dropped him off. He actually read that it said "Do not cut the hair on his head" but he continued to tell me that it was a miscommunication. He said I didn't explain what I wanted well enough. When I said it is in the computer, he continued to blame me for not communicating. I told him I would like a free grooming to make this up to me and he said the rest of the dog looks great, so he couldn't give a free grooming, and besides, I will be surprised how fast his head hair grows back out. This was his puppy hair which will never grow back. He didn't look like a puppy anymore and I was so disappointed, but I didn't want to keep complaining and asking for a free groom because he kept blaming me, even though it was clearly in the computer what I wanted. I left saying I won't be back.
I am loyal to PetSmart because I always took my previous dog there, so I wanted to try again. My third bad experience happened at the South Hill PetSmart about 3 months later. I took him in to be groomed and they said they will charge me for 45 min of extra combing because he needs to be combed before he is shaved. I said "Of course he does, don't you always comb before you shave?" They said they allow 5-10 min of brushing before shaving. I said I have never had to pay extra, they said that he was full of tangles. This was not true. I combed him the day before, and I even showed him by combing right through his hair. I left without dropping him off, again wasting the very long drive.
So three attempts to groom, but only one was done, and it was done incorrectly. Also, I bought the puppy pack full of coupons for 25 dollars with the intent of using the 20 dollar coupon for food, which I did. Also, I meant to use the 20 dollar off grooming coupon, but refuse to bring him back in to be groomed by them. Since I currently own everything I need for a dog I ended up losing 5 dollars by buying the book and not being able to use the grooming coupon.
The only thing that could make this better at this point is an offer of free grooming (otherwise I won't back) and I would like a refund (even partial) on the coupon book that I purchased and tried to use.

Comments

• Di
      20th of Nov, 2016

One error in my complaint that I want to correct. The coupon book cost 20 dollars and the food coupon I was able to use was for 15 dollars.

• Wi
      20th of Nov, 2016

You know, you had me until your last couple lines. So you are disappointed unless you get something free. Then it becomes acceptable to you.

• Di
      22nd of Nov, 2016

No, I will not give them another chance to groom my dog, as I think 3 tries is enough. A free groom won't give me back the puppy fur, or relieve my disappointment, and a free groom doesn't make what they did acceptable, but if it were offered a free groom I would give them another chance by using it. I really want to believe PetSmart is still a reputable grooming salon, because I used them for 10 yrs with my past dog. It seems they have changed their practices, and that disappoints me. I would love to find that they will continue to be my go-to groomer, but I would need to have a positive experience from them.