Complaints & Reviews

awful everything

Went to Petsmart to pick up some more canned food for my pooch (Petco does not carry this brand) and some Frontline flea product with the arrival of Spring in mind. Our Petsmart has a Banfield Vet in the back of the store, this is where I found the Frontline hanging on a tabletop circular rack marked "Display Only". My thought, "ugh! making this more difficult for me to buy product", told the girl behind the counter what I needed and this Ordeal Began;

Asked to pay for it there, not at the front of the store with the rest of my purchases, give my personal info (name, add, phone...) when I responded I did not want to be on any more lists, was told it was to print an invoice... (grumble grumble) I pulled out my debit/credit card when she told me the price (knew it was higher by about $5, than my own vets, but I was already there), ran my card as debit, then her phone rang and she was otherwise occupied for the next several minutes occasionally using a condescending tone to the caller, as I stood there waiting for my receipt and product. Yep, this annoyed me - she hung up and announced that my debit card didn't go through and it was because I chose debit and not the credit option. "HUH?!" I was told I needed to swipe it again and use credit option.

I just wanted to run in to the store and quickly pick up these two things, (fast paced, here in California). Now I am encountering nonsense (in my opinion) and inconvenient delays. Yes, I told her this and left the Banfield counter without flea product hearing her echo "have a nice day' in a sarcastic tone.

At the front of the store, as I paid for the dog food debit card worked fine! I did tell the employee. May be last visit to Petsmart and definitely to a Bandfield.

groomer Jul 12, 2009

God Bless those that have to deal with people that think the world revolves around them! The Banfield employee did nothing wrong and did not deserve your attitude. She is required to answer the phones while wating on others and you may just have to wait a little! Perhaps when you scanned the card it didn't read it properly. None of this is her fault- and things happen and geez! How petty can one get? I would imagine if you are that intolerant of things not going your way all the time, you will soon run out of stores to shop in! It's life! Get over it!

• Sh
    shepmom Jul 14, 2009

Banfield is not a part of PetsMart. It is a veterinary service within the store. Their check out or products are not connected to PetsMart. Honestly I surprised that they would sell you veterinary only products seeing that you are not a client. Most vets office's wouldn't.

MonicaP Jul 17, 2009

Really trying to gripe about anything aren't you? Did you ever think that some of this could have been avoided if you were not in such a hurry? Banifeild rents a space from Petsmart and things they sell get rung up there and Petsmart merchandise gets wrung up up front. You probably did swipe your card wrong and maybe all they can accept is credit and not debit. If you had asked questions nicely before exploding and storming out of the store like a 3 year old having a hissy fit, you may have been able to work this out. I am sure your friends and family agreed with you so you would not explode at them.

• Cr
    CrimsonTear009 Jul 24, 2009

you are a pathetic, flustered little person aren't you? In my opinion you need to grow up, simple as that, grow the heck up and stop making everything seem bigger than it is; Oh one last thing, everyone isn't out to get you, you are not TOP on everyone's list if something comes up you have to wait LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.
    Its people like you that deserve hard times ALL THE TIME.

• Gu
    guardianfyre Aug 28, 2009

I'm with everyone else when it comes to telling you that Banfield isn't owned by PetSmart. They are in a partnership.

I do have another thing to point out. Banfield is a veterinary office. The staff are told to answer the phone even when they are with a customer in case it is an emergency. While she should have asked the person to hold once she had made sure that it wasn't an emergency, she might also have been waiting for their computer (which, believe me, are usually very slow) to try and process your debit.

The "condescending" tone she used is usually referred to as a professional tone. People who call into a doctor's office tend to expect the person answering the phone to be educated. The professional tone of voice reassures them of this, and allows the said professional to ask the necessary questions and generally cut out any hemming and hawing that the person at the other end of the line might do.

The reason that the flea medication on the rack is "Display Only" is due to theft. Top thing stolen from PetSmart stores: medications (dog, cat, avian, small animal, reptile, fish). Of course, leather collars would probably top the list, but PetSmart locks the most expensive of these up, so collars are down the list a bit.

• Xe
    Xed Dec 10, 2009

When you go into a Walmart with a McDonalds, do you expect to get your food and pay at the Walmart registers?

groomers abuse the dogs

The groomers are abusive towards your dog and your better off asking someone you know to give you a helping hand at home and groom your dog yourself trust me if I could turn back time I would have never of brought my dog to get groomed at Petsmart in Holmdel new jersey yesterday July 4, 2009 P. S. spread the word about those animal abusers at Petsmart in Holmdel new jersey they seriously need to take another look at the groomers who are employed at this store location!

dog abuse

I brought my 8 month old puppy to get groomed and they told me to leave and come back in 3 hours I didnt...

temp. of store

The temperature of the store (#400 shops at Stroud, Stroudsburg PA 18360), grooming salon was over 85 degrees and completely unacceptable!!! I ask to speak to a manager they got a man named Mike for me and he told me "there has never been a problem, I keep my house at 74 and my dogs back there now so I don't know what to tell you." He was rude and completely unprofessional. I left with my three dogs right then and there and told him I would be getting in touch with Corporate, and he told me "to go ahead all that will happen is the store will get a write up and nothing will change!" I don't think this is the response a customer should get when he or she is making a complaint or showing concern for the animals or the petsmart workers. The kind of attitude and response that I was given was unbelievable. I will be going to HR with this problem. Mike was right I called corporate and still have not received a phone call back, so my next step will be HR! After this experience I do NOT believe that petsmart cares about the animals in it's care nor their employees and certainly not their customers.

groomer Jun 18, 2009

Last year PS decided to go "green" which translates to me, saving the corp money on a/c. The salon I worked in was very uncomfortable. I told the store mgr that not only it is uncomfortable for the dogs, it makes the groomers impatient and cranky (which in turn makes the dogs difficult and thus a viscious cycle ensues, making the entire grooming experience bad for your dog and the groomers) and heats up our equipment. Corp had the managers running around taking readings of the temps and humidity in every part of the store. This battle went on all summer and nothing much was ever accomplished. All I can think of is that the store mgr in Stroudsburg was being honest with you- that corp will not pay any attention to your complaint. Fighting with corp is like beating your head on a brick wall. We had to shut off all the dryers when the temp in the back area got to 85. Problem is, it may be 75 degrees but with the tremendous amount of humidity, it feels like 100 degrees.
    Complain repeatedly until you get some response and don't stop until the problem is addressed in a positive manner.

MonicaP Jul 17, 2009

The ac is actually controlled by the headquarters in Arizona, and they will not think it is hot anywhere until it is like 115 degrees because they are in Arizona.

• Lk
    lk11 Jul 19, 2009

I used to work at petsmart and them temp in there during summer is out of control. the groomers are sweating and its so hard to do ur job when its like that. managers and corparate do not give a ### about the grooming salon . its all about the money they can make and the money they can save by letting things like this go...

• 70
    7001 Apr 25, 2010

HR for most companies are Private and outsiders cannot just call and say fire this person it hearsay. It will not hold up. First off if it was that hot the employees would be sweeting their butts of and would complain enough it would change. I think two things are going on here, 1. You are having hot flashes, or 2 the humidity is making it feel hotter than it really is. My other guess is your mad at another issue and they don't want you to come back, it could be because your asking for more than what they are providing. Kinda like paying for one scoop of ice cream and demanding 1 and a half scoops.

• Al
    AllstateCrash Jul 09, 2010

'groomer' is a Petco employee (a sociopath, in fact) who is going on here to try and make PetSmart look bad. She/he/it should try cleaning up her/his/its own store before criticizing anyone else's. Also, there are far more complaints about Petco than PetSmart and PetSmart wasn't just sued (again...June 2010) and found guilty of extreme cruelty to animals.

• Pt
    ptsmrtgrmr Aug 24, 2010

in fact the ambient air temperature controls are in colorado, not arizona. our az salons get hot too. salons generate a lot of heat and when you have dryers, hot water, 5 plus groomers, 2+ bathers, and a combined 10 to 20+ dogs in those fishbowls, yeah... it gets HOT!!! but agree when it reaches temperatures of 85 tell your ceo or mod to call the a/c hotline.

grooming hurt my dog!

I went to this petsmart location on June 10, 2009 at approximately 1:30pm. I took my dog Milo in to get hi...

grooming

Two weeks ago, I took my Yorkshire Terrier into be groomed. When I picked him up I noticed a puncture wound on his stomach. I asked the groomer what had happened because the wound was new. The groomer said the wound had been there. The manager was called. I took my dog Ozker over to Banfield to be looked at. (Banfield vet clinic is located within Petsmart.) Ozker ended up needing stitches for the deep puncture wound. I am angry because the groomer at Petsmart knew he wounded my dog (how could he not - the wound was fresh, Ozker had to have cried when he was punctured.) I am also angry because my dog sat in a kennel waiting to be picked up when he clearly needed medical attention. The groomer showed no concern or remorse for hurting my dog. Petsmart did reinburse me for the grooming and covered the Banfield expenses. They were not able to provide me with a copy of the incident report. I called the Petsmart Corporate office to file a complaint on the Negligence of the groomer, and it has been six days-they still have not contacted me back. I took Ozker in to have the stitches removed, and the groomer who cut my dog was still working. Does Petsmart really care about animals? Henderson, Nevada Nestor Garcia (groomer)

• Di
    Dimarlo Jul 02, 2009

It sounds like the groomer knew it, and the incident has been covered up. I would find another place. I wouldn't take the chance that person would ever touch my dog again.

overall service

Our family used to take our two Wire Fox Terriers two this Petsmart bi-weekly. We were usually treated with excellent customer service and our dogs were always cut very well. We have always been told our dogs behaved nicely. Except on occasion with Barkley, this was expected. He can be aggressive at times, but it never seemed too serious.

However, today, a groomer we haven't had a lot of experience with, complained about both of our dogs. Saying they weren't being compliant and were causing several issues. We were surprised, because we have never had this happen with previous groomers, at least we were told. The issue was so serious that they had added a $6 handling charge to the bill. We were also told that the dogs have posed as a serious issue before and had even Yellow Carded Barkley. They said their records were lined with notes in the system and implied we should have expected this charge to have been added. This seemed very wrong, for this is the first time we have ever been informed of their "horrible behavior" and long record.

We told them that previous groomers had told us our dogs have behaved very well, and had only had occasional minor issues with Barkley. They then told us groomers would often "suck-up" to their patrons, so they won't hurt "their feelings". Well this is just pure dishonesty and unfair to the customers. I believe we should have the right to know how our dogs truly behaved. So we can be wary when about taking them to another appointment. For if we were informed of their bad behavior before we would have been prepared and content in paying this $6 fine.in addition, they were fully capable of informing us of a possible $6 dollar fine before we handed the dogs o them, since their records were so poor. She even had the nerve to ask us if our dogs had behavior problems even though their system very well told them they were such "horrible dogs".

If the groomers are reading this, I apologize for our dog’s poor behavior, however please don't tell us several visits later that are dogs are hard to handle and charge us for it. It's just unfair. I think the public has the right to know about this incident. Thank you.

Point and case, this PetsMart is very dishonest. Be wary when they tell you your dog is excellent, for it may be the exact opposite. We refused to pay the handling charge and we may never take our dogs to this PetsMart again.

• Is
    islilme23 Aug 02, 2009

Personally, I think you had a groomer that doesn't like his/her job. No, not all dogs are the best, not all dogs stand like statues, and sometimes they may nip. If they didn't tell you about an issue before...that's because, chances are, there wasn't one until that groomer got ahold of them. Not to mention...alot of times dogs react to the groomers moods. I've been a groomer for 9 years. I've seen alot of moods from groomers change the outcome of the dog's behavior, because when these dogs are too much to handle for these amateurs, when I take them...the dogs are fine. Unfortunately...Barkley and the other baby were probably ruffed up a bit by that groomer, and they retaliated. I do believe you should take them to a person you trust or just request the groomer that was doing them with no problems. You're babies will be happier for it...not to mention you're peace of mind.

• Bl
    blame Aug 10, 2009

I think you did have a groomer that hated his/her job. I've been a groomer for 3 years with the company, and I never suck up to customers. If I get bit, the pet parent will know about it. I agree with the comment above. I think you should ask for the groomer who you've had experience with, or better yet, ask the salon manager to groom your dogs. They will not sugar-coat things. There are groomers working within the company that will suck up because they fear losing their job if they don't be overly nice.

• Og
    Ogr8ys1 Dec 03, 2009

I'm sorry that you weren't informed that your pets had seemingly, by your account, misbehaved before. It is TRUE that most groomers do not mention a pet's poor behavior for a variety of reasons - most people view their pets as their children (think about how you'd feel if your child's behavior were criticized in public), groomers who do say things in a constructive way are often dismissed by owners, and lastly they don't want to risk their tip. AS A GROOMER OF 25 YRS. I know all of the above to be true. I see dogs who have been marked yellow in the computer although the owner has never been informed. My clients know when they own a "canine terrorist" and I explain why I charge more for their dog when they pick up - it's usually a lack or breakdown of communication between owners and groomers. Saying that, I do take the time to educate the pet parents how they can help their pets' behavior (which more often than not falls on deaf ears) and I remove extra charges when there's an improvement, or more often than not, when I know a pet parent has worked with little or no success with their pet. Something else people dealing with PetSmart have to realize is that the company expects their groomers to groom 2-3 dogs in 3 hrs., only allows us to muzzle a dog for 20 minutes for the entire day, weather or not the groom is completed, stock shelves in three aisles of retail and act as telemarketers to make appts. They don't allow time for dogs that need to be handled differently - some dogs just cannot handle the crowds in the windows, kids banging on the glass, and whipping through their grooming. Terriers are tough little dogs and can be nippy, sometimes it takes just a quieter atmosphere for quite a few dogs. That's why, after two horrible years with this company, I get to walk in tomorrow and resign.

raineydayrainbow8-0 Dec 06, 2009

I am a groomer for the company for almost a year now, and previous places for the last ten years. I can also add to the previous person that sometimes it wasn't bad enough to even mention. I also like to just say that sometimes I will just tell the owner of a misbaving dog that the next time if they misbehave I will add a charge. I really don't feel right adding something if the owner doesn't know about it. I do work with someone that is what you are describing, she actually had a client today that had lots of notes and he had no idea that there were problems with the feet cause he had been told the pup was great, and she just informed him that the groom may not get done because of the muzzle rule, as well as the age rule. I also feel that the lady before me that wrote the really long note is so right, we don't have the time to give with all that we are expected to do. We are receptionist, telemarketers, stockers, and on top of that we need to fill our schedules so we can keep our jobs. It is a great oppurtunity, but it isn't for everyone and sometimes, you have to really love it. I LOVE my job and I haven't ever been bit, and rarely have problems with dogs that I can't handle, I just cuddle up with them and they just calm down and I can finish...i see people being rough with dogs and it really upsets me and I just KNOW that if you just be paitent with them they tend to relax and let you do what needs to be done.

• He
    hera_hounds Apr 12, 2010

I agree, it is very dishonest that the groomers did not tell you about your pets "misbehavior." I have been grooming for the company for 5 years now and always tell people about their pets behavior, to the "t". I have been bit several times and usually you jump around and squeal like an idiot for a few minutes, then have someone help you so the dog can be groomed without injuring anyone. i.e. the groomer or the dog. If it looks like that can't be done, then I call the pet parent and explain exactly what went on and why I can't finish the pet. However; unlike most groomers that I know, I do not just write the pet off after that. I tell them to bring their pet in just to get cookies and lovin's (no grooming done at that time) to make coming to the groomer a positive experience. My salon is all about positive experiences for these pets (and pet parents, though in my mind you come second to your babies, sorry), it's nice to see that from these post from other groomers we are not the only salon that feels that way, but it is sad that all Petsmarts across the country do not seem to have that same mindset.

no operating instructions incl. w/product

I purchased a dog harness. Upon opening packaging, I found no instructions on how to fasten harness. I attempted to puzzle it out, but had no success. I returned the next day to get the instruction pamphlet advertised on the package. I requested a copy of the instructions twice and this request was ignored. Instead, a clerk demonstrated the harnessing procedure with a stunt dog. I returned home to try it, but was unable to attach it properly. I returned to Petsmart a third time, bringing my dog and the harness. They attached it to the dog, but would not honor my third request for a set of instructions.
Poor customer service.

• Ru
    rusty55 Jun 16, 2009

If you can't figure out how to harness a dog, you probably aren't fit to own one. And if you're so stubborn that you didn't LOOK online for the 100's of videos and images that inform you of the proper way to do this... well, I feel sorry for that animal. Suck it up, be a petparent, and don't blame it on someone else. And by the way, if the employee went as far as to show you on a stunt dog how it works, that's way more service than you'd receive at Target or WalMart... what a whiner.

• Aj
    AJ7 Aug 11, 2009

A lot of the harnesses are usually easy to figure out they should be self explanatory. Also, if after on assosciate SHOWED you on the dog how to put on the harness how would you expect to figure it out any better from instructions?

overcharging. rudness. abusive comments. lack of intellect!

Sunday, May 17, 2009 we picked up our many dogs from the PetSmart Queen Creek, AZ hotel. Cashier 296982 wa...

careless / neglectful service

On May 11, I took my 1 1/2 year old Shih Tzu-Bischon mix in to the groomers at the local Petsmart where I have taken her many times before. I had never been overjoyed with the service that I have recieved there. Once I took her into get groomed and she came back to me completely shaved.
The point of my complaint however, is not the haircut itself. I am here to complain about the staff and service of everyone employed by Petsmart. I dropped Lola off at 8:30 in the morning so she would be done early enough for me to get to work later that afternoon. They told me she would be done at 11:30.
When I walked into the grooming side of the store my sister called me and told me that Petsmart had called her instead of me. We assumed that they were just calling to tell me that my dog was ready. That was not the case. I walked in to a women with a blank look on her face to tell me that my dog had been cut while getting groomed around her face.
They explained to me that she started licking the women who was grooming her and got in the way of the scissors and they cut her tongue. They informed me that they had taken her over to the vet that was located next door and he said she would be fine and it would just bleed for a while because it was on her tongue.
My dog was not fine. After they explained to me what happened they went into the back and got her. A few minuutes later my dog came out half groomed and bloody. They didnt make it seem like it was that big of a deal so I just assumed it was like they said.
After taking her into my car and calming down I looked a little closer at her tongue. Not only had the groomer cut her, they cut a triangle shaped chunk out of the tip of her tongue. Also, probably after this happened and my dog in pain she bit her own tongue which put a gash at the top of her tongue.
I was not happy with the information that I recieved from the groomers so I took the liberty of taking my dog to my personal vet. He saw her for two seconds and immediately put her under sedation and put stitches in both lacerations. I called the groomers, who seemed very skiddish when I was talking to them and asking details about who groomed her and all of that.
I also contacted the vet that (supposedly) saw her he told me that he didnt know about the scissors and was told she just bit her tongue, and that he did mention to the girls that he could put stitches into it and I should go speak to him when I picked her up. Needless to say they neglected to tell me this. After I spoke to them I called the manager himself to let him know what was going on and what I had to take my time out to do. I explained to him that I did not believe I should be held responsible for the vet bills that were about to pile on top of me. He told me that any bill I had he would take care of it.
Now, 3 days later I went down to Petsmart to give them the bills and to get the money back that I had to take out of my own pocket to pay for their mistake. I delt with the other manager that was working this morning and she was rude and short with me. She told me there was nothing they could do about it and I had to wait for corporate. While this may be the case, I did not like the way I was being treated.
I waited for the manager that I had spoken with when all of this happened to get in, to speak to him. When he called me he told me that same exact thing. While explaining to him that I am a college student with a minimum wage job that doesnt have the money to pay for unecessary damages such as this, he kept interrupting me and saying he understood. I will be getting to the bottom of this and I will be getting my money back. I wasn't even going to get into the time I had to miss off work while my dog was getting stitches. I will get into all of that if needed.
I am very disappointed with the staff and managment of Petsmart, they have lost my business and the business of people I have told this story to because they do not want this to happen to their pets, and I do not blame them at all.

• Kt
    ktr01 Oct 27, 2010

I think people who say "PETSMART" making an over-generalization about the company as as a WHOLE are IDIOTS. And I think you need to say MY HOMETOWN'S PetSmart, because not all PetSmarts are the same. Yours PetSmart sucks and you need to cite this in your complaint.

awful experience

On May 2nd 2009 I took my family and my dog to the PetSmart at 1819 NE Pine Island Road in Cape Coral Florida. We noticed a dog in the middle of the store alone with no owner in site for about 10 minutes. I commented to one of the store employees that it is dangerous for a dog to be not on a leashed in the store, but the employee did not seem to care. After about 20 minutes in the store I noticed a second dog which was a (PITBULL) again not leashed in the store. There was a guy who was not an employee of PetSmart training dogs off the leash in the middle of the store. Once we left the store I called the store number back on my cell phone and spoke to Lee the store manager. He stated the gentleman that was training the dogs off the leash was an employee’s boyfriend and not an employee of PetSmart. I stated to him this is dangerous, anyone of those dogs could bite a customer and he would be in a lot of trouble. I will call the corporate office on Monday to have the manager reported. THIS IS UNSAFE AND DANGEROUS FOR CUSTOMERS WALKING THERE CHILDREN AND LEASHED DOGS THOUGH THE STORE!!! BEWARE OF UNSAVE DOG OWNERS IN THIS STORE.

graphicmajor414 Aug 12, 2009

I am sorry to hear this. I am a trainer at PetSmart in Pensacola, Florida. All of our customers MUST have leashed dogs while inside the store. It is a PetSmart policy that NO dog, including those in training courses, MUST be leashed at ALL times on the property, inside and out.

graphicmajor414 Aug 12, 2009

correction* It is a PetSmart policy that ALL dogs, including those in training courses, MUST be leashed at ALL times on the property, inside and out.

awful service

I was told I needed to swipe it again and use credit option.

At the front of the store, as I paid for the dog food, I did tell the employee. May be last visit to Petsmart and definitely to a Banfield.

• Ha
    Harold May 01, 2009

learn to live with it - nobody cares anymore especially the young people. everything is a chore - doing their job - is a chore...

20 years ago, people cared whether you were at mcdonalds or chevy. the kids today dont give a hoot, all they do is sit on their phones texting, complain about everything and want more more more.

• Sh
    ShippingFunds Jan 10, 2010

Again, another impatient and ignorant customer. You answered your own complaint in what you wrote. BANFIELD = ONE COMPANY. PETSMART=ANOTHER COMPANY. When you go to Subway inside of a walmart, can you pay for your Sub at the photo department? Or can you pay for your daughters new bicyle at Subway? No. If your in a rush, do not go shopping. Front-line is not always an "over the counter" medication. Sometimes you need to fill out information regarding it. Your not buying cookies.

poor customer service

The readers digest version of this is as follows. The store director of the petsmart in Corpus Christi, Texas whose name is Ken Morvant failed to keep control of a shopping cart and said shopping cart hit my new truck and put a dent in it. This man never said he was sorry or even acknowledged doing this even though I seen him do this. I then contacted thier home office where I was told they woud compensate me for it and I would be recieving a call in a couple of days. Well I recieved the call and they told me I would have to take them to court for Ken Morvants negligence.

CommonSense Apr 30, 2009

Honey
    You should be taken to court for that spelling alone!

mattking May 06, 2009

Commonsense, honey focker dog, sniff your marker!

• De
    Deb Myers Jun 05, 2009

Went to Petsmart on June 2, 2009 to buy cat food. Noticed three teens scaring and banging on the glass encloures of the cats up for adoption. I immediately ran up to a male employee and told him what I witnessed and he said"The cats are fine they are enclosed". So, I could see he didn't want to work. Then I proceeded to the cashier who informed me me that these boys hang out in the petstore frequently and do this. She paged the manager but, she never showed up. I called the home office and after three days a young woman named "Emily" called to tell me that they kicked the boys out of the store. Well, how about the employee who did not care??? She said that everything is solved because she discussed it with the two employees. Well, all is not taking care of and I informed her that I will never shop at the store again.

cookiemonster Jun 25, 2009

Thank you for your efforts to help those poor cats. I volunteer with a cat rescue group and our cat shelter is inside one of the Petsmarts. We deal with rude people banging on the cage glass all the time to harass the cats, etc. It is infuriating. What is worse is that the Petsmart employees could care less about the cats and sometimes it is the employees who are doing the banging on the glass!

graphicmajor414 Aug 12, 2009

I have been with the company 7 years and have NEVER witnessed an employee bang on the cat enclosure. Our employees work very hard to keep the cats healthy and happy. We have to constantly get on to customers for harassing cats, small animals, etc. The manager made every effort in her power to handle this incident, including taking a step further to call you and assure you that the situation has been handled. Please do not make company wide assumptions based on the actions of one employee.

Also, to Cookiemonster... Please take a second to realize what you are assuming. Petsmart is the ONLY... ONLY... company that doesn't sell cats or dog in effort to help save homeless animals. The ONLY company that has over 2, 000 programs all in effort to help save homeless and mistreated animals. The ONLY company that will donate floor space to help local shelters adopt out animals.

Try to be more grateful. Those cats could be euthenized, but instead on display in hopes to find loving homes.

• De
    Deb Myers Aug 12, 2009

Management Lacks People Skills !!!

• K1
    K1089 Dec 22, 2009

If a shopping cart dented your car you should be pissed at the auto maker. A cart shouldnt do that. Sounds like a piece of crap.

• Dt
    DTERRY May 17, 2011

Complaint about Sugar Land Store and Employees. I was in your store yesterday...While in the parking lot one of your Petsmart employees ran in to my car with a string of baskets (approx 6). The damage to my car was notable. We went in to talk with the person in charge, George..., he was unhelpful and uncooperative in dealing with us. He left us standing for almost an hour while we tried to get information about what we should do about the incident. Both the employee and the person in charge refused to give their full names or even the name of the Store manager. At one point the employee George threatened to call the police and have us thrown out of the store... Luckily there was a Sugar Land Police officer in the store at the time. The officer, M. Bates, looked at my car and agreed that the damage was notable and we needed to obtain the information from the employees as to what to do. Your employees became a little more cooperative with the police officer there and he had them actually call your corporate office and get a claim number for us. We did nothing wrong and were very saddened by the uncooperative attitudes we received from your employees and the fact that it took a police officer to actually get some of the information we needed to feel comfortable that if Petsmart does not do the right thing, we have the officer as a witness to what the employee and we said happened and the what damage was done to my car.

It is difficult to understand, other that some dishonest motives, why the employees would not give their full names or the full name of the store manager,

I hope that we will hear from you regarding this matter.

injured my dachshund with shears

On Saturday 4/11/09 I dropped my 8 year old Dachshund (Duncan) off at Pet Smart Grooming in Chesterfield...

awful company

I went to this Petsmart location several months ago, and was horrified at the condition of some of the...

animal abuse

This is not a true complaint, but a warning. I have not witnessed any animal cruelty at this particular store, but as soon as I see or hear about any cruelty involving any of your animals, I am willing to send full complaints that could shut you down. I know and you should know about other Petsmarts nationwide that have treated their animals horribly. I used to always love Petsmart until I came upon a website about Petsmart. This website is called PetsmartCruelty.com and every page was fileld with information on the destructive acts against animals in those stores. If you would do so, anybody I know would be willing to go to court to shut you down. Please respond honestly about if your store acts this way and why, and if so please make an effort to help your animals.

rainbowshines Apr 22, 2009

I worked at a Petsmart and saw how horribly they treat the animals, they had a conurd bird sitting in the cage for months going unsold because nobody in the store knew how to properly care for it and the manager didn't care. The bird was balded in many places, didn't have much personality, it looked very unhealthy and sick. Petsmart is very cruel when it comes to their fish, they let the fish eat each other in the tanks and wont bother taking the carcus's out, they always have unhealthy and half dead hermit crabs up for display with empty food dishes and they dont even give the hermit crabs two water dishes that they need, because they wont survive without fresh and salt water dishes. These people do not care what so ever about the animal or it's future, they only see the animals as products and they will sell the poor animals to the stupidest customers.

• Ex
    Ex Employee Apr 23, 2009

I worked in the PetSmart grooming Salon in Concord New Hampshire, and witnessed DAILY the mishandling of dogs and cats.

Dogs that where "trouble" where routinely choked, yanked around, and pinned (this was usually in the back room where they were being dryed.) muzzles were put on too tight. Terrifed dogs were force dried, and held down with muzzles on.

Breathing impared dogs (shi-tzus, bulldogs, pugs) where put under cage dryers, when it is against policy.

Dogs that refused to enter the large metal drying cages where shoved, choked and slammed into them.

One dog, a basset hound seriously ripped a nail.

Cuts and razor burn were common.. the smaller ones not even being MENTIONED to the owners, who, after being smiled at by the groomer, figured their "little Monkey" had a great time.

I tried during my time there, to come between MANY a stressed out groomer and terrified dog.

When I complained the managers found "reasons" to write me up. I wound up quitting in disgust after making a complaint to the VP, and hearing nothing back.

I now work in a private grooming facility that does not REQUIRE dogs to be done in an hour.

• Nc
    NC85 Dec 18, 2011

Yes there is abuse in the salons! I have seen it in 2 different salons and I had an investigation going on people. Guess what...nothing happened! Those people are still working. Im freaking out! I have worked here for yrs and can not believe this is happening!!!

price match

Recently I went to my local PetSmart to buy pet food (which I have done for years and have spent thousands of...

horrible experience

A couple weeks back I stopped in Petsmart to buy some Natural Choice dog food in both dry bag & single packs for my dogs. As I was reaching in to get several packets of Lamb & Rice singles I felt a wet gooey substance on my hand. As I pulled my hand away this nasty foul smelling substance came with it & flung all over my purse & items in the cart. And I could see more of it over some of the other packets of different selections.
At 1st I thought it was diarrhea dog poop, but whatever it was it was far more foul than anything I've ever encountered. (Mind you I've dealt with a lot of bad nasty smelling things having been raised on a ranch. This far exceeded that!)
Upon making the sales help aware of the situation, they just told me to throw stuff in a cart. I had to them ask them where could I wash my hand, & they then directed me to use the stuff they have to clean up dog messes. It didn't help & I was getting more nauseous by the minute. I had to them ask where their bathroom was so that I could wash my hands. After scrubbing my hands 4 times, the horrific smell continued to linger, it was nightmarish!
Not the sales help standing around, nor the so-called manager, Justin, gave a damn that there was a horrible foul unknown substance on the dog food items! No one step forward to check it out or even clean it up! They didn't seem concerned that other customers would be exposed to whatever it was! There were no apologies, nothing!!!
When I got home I called Petsmart & related what happened while in their store. They were surprised & said that was not how they treated their customers, & thus would pass the info on to Corporate. Before that I had to wash my hands several more times to try & remove the horrific smell, 6 tries later & lemon juice finally removed it.
I finally got a return call from the head manger of their Irvington store. What a joke that was. I was made to feel that I might have overreacted & that upon his "inspection" he didn't find anything! Talk about a slap in the face. I then stated that one of his help & I described her had smelled my hands & drew back in reaction to it. Ask her I said. He told me he has over 30 employees working there & that he can't remember them all! (I think the poor man needs to find another career, as my husband has over a 150 some employees & he knows everyone of them.)
I still don't know what it was, but I have no desire to enter their store again after the deplorable, unprofessional, kind of, sort of half-assed apology & "we don't really give a damn" response by Petsmart.

• john7777 Feb 23, 2009

Come on Jason she had a real complaint. Ya the petsmart in Louisville KY, is also really nasty and after a year they quit caring about picking up the dog crap outside the store. You go into the store and there is animal piss everywhere. and no one caring to clean it up.

• Vi
    VintageLydia Mar 22, 2009

chances are, since it was on/near the single packs, it was probably from one of the packs bursting and then going rancid. It happens from time to time, though the customer service you got was deplorable if you're being honest. I work at PetSmart and that's not how we are trained to deal with customers.

Chuck Book Jun 14, 2009

I too work at Petsmart. The truth of the matter is, the store is ALWAYS filled with dirty, disgusting things much like what was described above. Our store is located in Baltimore, MD and our monthly sales #'s exceed those of ANY eastcoast/mid-atlantic Petsmart. Needless to say, the store is constantly packed with customers (and, in turn, their animals, which many people choose to bring in). The comment regarding the fecal matter and urine outside and inside of the store is laughable. When you have 100's of dogs/cats walking through the store on a daily basis, it is inevitable they will do their business within the premises. Not only do we not know that it there always (as if we have some sort of ###/piss radar), but it is actually the owner's responsibility to clean up their animals' mess, which is the reason there are numerous "Oops!" stations located throughout the store. Come on now folks, it's a pet store. There is always going to be some sort of mess somewhere. We have rotten food packets on our shelves as well, filled with maggots none the less, which, if you've ever smelt maggots, they smell horrible. It is an ongoing problem throughout nearly every petstore across the nation, and I hate to say it, but no matter what anybody says or how high up the chain they climb in quest of a resolution, the problem will NEVER end. That's all there is to it. So suck it up, make your purchases and move on with your lives instead of blogging about it like a whiny little ###. NOBODY CARES!!!

cookiemonster Jun 25, 2009

To Chuck Book - you have obviously missed the original point. Yes, there will always be messes like this in pet stores across the nation - HOWEVER, what the original poster is complaining about is the POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE and LACK OF RESPECT by the store management. To be dismissed the way she was after making a legitmate mistake is just terrible CUSTOMER SERVICE. And look who is calling the kettle black - why don't YOU move on with YOUR life instead of blogging about the bloggers like a whiny little ###! Sheeesh!

MonicaP Jul 17, 2009

Chuck, I work at Petsmart also and you really just help her make her point about horrible customer service by acting and talking that way. We, as Petsmart employees, should make the company look better by conducting ourselves in a positive outlook. By acting like a degenerate, you make the company look bad.

Sherrie, things will happen that we at Petsmart sometimes can not see. I do not think the way they acted, if the story is correct, is acceptable. There is alot of nasty stuff that some times gets overlooked or missed, and the company should try to quickly correct the situation. Come to my store and I promise you if I am working, you will be taken care of!

• Li
    Linda5680 Sep 30, 2012

I completely agree about the poor customer service! There is something terribly wrong with the company culture--across the board. Here's what happened to my family:
    My husband and I were shopping with our dog today at the Petsmart on East Grant Rd, Tucson, AZ, and had training treats to reinforce good behavior with us. We were suddenly approached by the manager and told to leave. He asked us no questions. He said, "You can't train your dog here. You'll have to leave the store." I told him that we visit the store every week to buy food and toys and that we always train him as we walk through the store. He said, "No, you'll have to leave. You can't train your dog here. It's store policy. We have dog obedience classes here and what you're doing is like grooming your dog in the back of the store, when we have a grooming service here." I said, "We aren't trainers. This is our pet, and we're only socializing him." He was relentless. He went on and on and seemed so agitated, as if there had been a slew of professional dog trainers coming in with clients and their dogs. Yet, he never asked us who we were, nor did he approach us with any kind of courtesy.
    Finally, we put back the food we were about to purchase and said we'd never shop at Petsmart again. It didn't seem to bother him at all, but he did say that we could stay if we weren't professionals. I thought, Now why would I want to buy anything from a store that had a manager who would verbally accost a customer without asking any questions?!
    It also occurred to me that dog trainers don't sell food. So, why would the store not welcome anyone who wishes to purchase store items and reinforce good dog behavior?!
    The whole experience was a stunning example of failed customer service. This manager has lost the company thousands of dollars from a heretofore great customer.

too many to list in this small spot

3 times in a row I made an appt to have my dog groomed at Petsmart, 3 times I have gone in and they don't have my appointment down. Even the manager made an appt for me and I took my dog in and walla! No appointment time for me again!

This time I was going to take a dog training class and my husband decided they wanted to sell me the classes instead of a bark collar. I gavd them my credit card over the phone to hold my place. I called within 20 minutes of making the appt and they said I had to COME IN to cancel. I said you can take my credit card over the phone but not cancell over the phone? Of course they said yes... I went up there and they had already charged my card BEFORE I even had the classes! The classes were not until next week. I was told by my credit card company it was illegal to charge for a service that has not happened or you did not receive.

I have had it with Petsmart and will never take another amimal up there to be groomed or buy their products. I would not take my dog to their vet if she were on her last leg begging me to. This place is a rip off and the sooner people stop patronizing this poor excuse for a pet store the better.

Jacob92103 Feb 17, 2009

Once again NoTimeForIdiots shows He is an IDIOT. Maybe you are the one getting anal sex...

• Cr
    creative Feb 20, 2009

I found it funny to see you always reply good things toward notime. On a lots of topics.

Maybe someone should check both account ip to see if its the same.

• Tw
    tweettweet Feb 25, 2009

are you sure you made the appointment at petSmart and not petco???

• Vi
    VintageLydia Mar 22, 2009

There are two petsmarts where I live that are within a few miles of eachother on the same road. Sometimes someone would call one store and think they're calling the other. Also, yes, it is standard policy to charge for something like dog training before the class because there are limited spots. Doing it the other way can and does cause people to change their mind and never show up. And the reason you have to come in to return a class is a) paperwork has to be filled out by you so that if it's a common complaint, especially about the trainer him or herself, then it can be resolved and there i a papertrail to refer and b) a signature is required. If you kept the class, obviously you'd have a reason to come in, and they can get your signature for purchasing the class then.

rainbeau Mar 12, 2010

"I was told by my credit card company it was illegal to charge for a service that has not happened "

So that means that when you fly somewhere, you don't pay for your plane ticket until after you get back home. Wow, I am going to have to try that. Does it work for other things too? Like should I not pay my health insurance until after I go to the doctor?

fraud and scam

This seems rather petty compared to the reports of pet illness and death I've read on this site, but all the...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices