PetSmart / bought a guinea pig that we later discovered had ringworm

1 Cedar Park, TX, United States

We purchased a guinea pig from PetSmart for my daughter as a reward for getting 1st place at a competition. The day she brought him home we saw bald patches behind his ears and on his chin but just thought his buddies at the pet store had nibbled on him or something. Three weeks later we notice a weird rash on my daughters chest but thought maybe it was an allergic reaction. A week later, when the rash on my daughter was worse we find out it's ringworm and after more closely looking at the bald spots on her New Guinea pig discover those spots are ringworm. Call PerSmart and they say to bring him in, we can return him, they will treat him, and then we can come back and repurchase our Guinean pig. Get into the store and are told it's past the 2 week period and they can do nothing. So they sold us a pet with a contagious fungus (that the other guinea pigs in their store probably also have), only give you 2 weeks to figure that out ( which we only figured out after it infected our daughter and ringworm can take weeks to show up). Now we have to take the guinea pig to an exotic animal veterinarian (because Banfield inside PetSmart does not see exotic pets even though they sell them). This on top of the treatment for the ringworm on my daughter. Unacceptable. They sold us a sick pet with a contagious fungus that spread to my daughter and refuse to remedy the issue. I will never shop at another PetSmart.

Gs