Pep Boys / dishonest
I have gone to Pep Boys many many times over the years and in several different parts of the country. In Lakeland Florida, however, I am appalled at the dishonest or incompetent treatment I have received. My first visit had a questionable item, a few questionable items when my wife went there, but the last visit is unquestionable. This is store #118, visited on 11/14/2008 at 2:00pm in Lakeland FL.
My wife and I brought our cars in there for an oil change. The first problem was they were charging me $40 additional for synthetic oil in a Toyota Tacoma - I let that pass. They charged for 6 quarts when the engine only holds 5 and no lube - this is a '99. When she got in the unlocked car there was oil on the steering wheel and door.
In my car (2005 Caravan), he said he put in 6 1/2 quarts! I've had many oil changes and none ever took more than 5 quarts so I finally complained and received a refund for 1 quart. However, the total still came out to over $37.00 (was supposed to be $32) and I'm not sure that it was lubed as instructed (installed fittings). When I went to my car, the window was down and doors open with a $500 GPS unit thankfully still in there.
A couple minor items came up like needing a brake oil flush (after 20, 000 miles???), nevertheless, I went there expecting to spend $64.00 less $26.00 in rebates that I was quoted in a prior phone call and left spending $109.00 although one car did receive the synthetic. (Dodge - $42.67 less $3.99, Toyota - $71.10)
Perhaps an investigation of Pep Boys is appropriate as was done with Jiffy Lube about a year ago, I don't know, but I do know something is not right there and I have to find another facility.
More Pep Boys Complaints & Reviews
- Pep Boys - badtreatment of employees 
- Pep Boys - rip off 
- Pep Boys Auto - brake repair scam 
- Pep Boys - terrible service! 
- Pep Boys - “miscellaneous shop charge” is a scam 
- Pep Boys - poor tire installation
- Pep Boys - workmanship/customer service
- Pep Boys - my car has been at pep boys since may 25th for a new motor. 
- Pep Boys - confirmed appt... and they said it didn't matter it issues that have been ongoing 
- Pep Boys - poor workmanship & they have not replaced my center caps they destroyed 2 months ago!