Pep Boys / dishonest

1 4405 Us-98 NLakeland, FL, United States
Phone: (863) 853-3776

I have gone to Pep Boys many many times over the years and in several different parts of the country. In Lakeland Florida, however, I am appalled at the dishonest or incompetent treatment I have received. My first visit had a questionable item, a few questionable items when my wife went there, but the last visit is unquestionable. This is store #118, visited on 11/14/2008 at 2:00pm in Lakeland FL.

My wife and I brought our cars in there for an oil change. The first problem was they were charging me $40 additional for synthetic oil in a Toyota Tacoma - I let that pass. They charged for 6 quarts when the engine only holds 5 and no lube - this is a '99. When she got in the unlocked car there was oil on the steering wheel and door.

In my car (2005 Caravan), he said he put in 6 1/2 quarts! I've had many oil changes and none ever took more than 5 quarts so I finally complained and received a refund for 1 quart. However, the total still came out to over $37.00 (was supposed to be $32) and I'm not sure that it was lubed as instructed (installed fittings). When I went to my car, the window was down and doors open with a $500 GPS unit thankfully still in there.

A couple minor items came up like needing a brake oil flush (after 20, 000 miles???), nevertheless, I went there expecting to spend $64.00 less $26.00 in rebates that I was quoted in a prior phone call and left spending $109.00 although one car did receive the synthetic. (Dodge - $42.67 less $3.99, Toyota - $71.10)

Perhaps an investigation of Pep Boys is appropriate as was done with Jiffy Lube about a year ago, I don't know, but I do know something is not right there and I have to find another facility.