Olive Garden / bad service

Arlington, TX, United States Review updated:

On June 7th, 2010 I was taken my 3 kids to olive garden in Arlington, Texas @ around 6pm {Cooper & I20} because my little girl is only 5 years old and she loved the Calamaries from there and no where else NOT even Macaroni & Grills or Johnny Carinos. We went there every week and for all ocasions. I have never experienced bad service before.

Our server names was Jessica, She is so rude with lots of attitude kind of being racist. Everything we said, she is like "huh huh speak up I have troubling understanding or hearing you.. this is her exact word" never check back on us see how are we doing. When we asked for more salad and breadstick she is like the salad refilled are $3.00 but we never come across this before. All the table around us got their offer on Salad and Breadstick not like I can't paid for $3.00 but it's the principle is count. I always give 20% tips because I know that people work hard with not much of paid just depends on the tips they make. All I know are customer satisfaction are very important.

What make me mad was she can't even gave me a small marianara sauce to go for my sampler. She just bring me a container and tell me to get it from whatever left over on my table and said we do not give it out for free. Im not asking for a big portion just a bit and she said no.

Manager on duties are not helpful @ all. I feel like being treated unfair and she is being discrimated because we are Asian.

An

Comments

• Ri
      May 15, 2009

Last Saturday, Jan. 20th, my husband and I wanted to go out for a nice dinner. We have recently started going to Olive Garden after many years of absence due to poor quality and service. We had a 20 minute wait which was no problem. We sat in the bar and had a glass of wine.

When we were seated, we sampled some of your house wines and placed our order for dinner. I had my favorite, stuffed chicken marsella (sp?) and my husband had his usual, spaghetti and Italian sausage. Our waitress was new but very nice and our salad came right away. However, after 2 bites of salad, out dinner was served. Needless to say, we were disappointed and irritated that the main course was served so soon. Also, my “stuffed” chicken had absolutely nothing between the layers of chicken and it was also on the cold side. It was not the same an previous orders. The waitstaff didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong and hurried on to help other tables.

I realize it was a busy night due to the fact there were 2 birthday parties going on at the same time. However, I have been associated with the restaurant business for over 30 years and know this is not acceptable as an excuse.

I guess I can sum it up by letting you know how disappointed we were. We were hoping things had changed at Olive Garden. Perhaps not?

• La
      Jun 08, 2009

As a waitress at Olive Garden, I can't figure out how or why you placed your order from the bar before you were seated. That is the reason your food came so early. If your server is not the person who submits the order, they have no control over when it comes out of the kitchen. In fact, I am impressed that they were even able to get your salad out to you before the food came up since neither of those items take more than 10 minutes to cook.

• So
      Jul 01, 2009

Laura as a server at Olive Garden I'm ashamed to be even remotely affiliated with you. Yes, they were at the bar and NO they did not place their order at the bar. They ordered their food at the table on a night when the Stuffed Chicken Marsala's were pre-made from what it seems.(Meaning the chicken was prepared and partially cooked). Spaghetti with Sausage takes no longer than 3 minutes to make as well as SCM that has been pre-made. The server probably didn't hold her food from the kitchen because she didn't know about the stuffed chicken being pre-made. Laura, you must not have been employed with Olive Garden very long.

• Me
      Aug 08, 2009

The Redding Olive Garden is 90% of the time horrible!!! You pay good money for bad service. Almost everytime my husband and I go there we get out food before we even have time to finish our salad! All you can eat they advertise, well unless you want your main entree cold, you can't even finish the first salad. You never get more bread sticks until you have already finish your main entree!!! Why can't they automatically bring out bread sticks WITH your dinner!!! Our waitress last night (8/7/9) was busy talking it up with some other customers while we were waiting for more salad and bread sticks and of course our main entree was served by yet another waiter, where the hell did he come from??? I love their food, but the Redding Olive Garden sucks. I have eaten at other ones and they are wonderful for service and getting you what you want when you want it. I hope the Redding, CA manager reads these complaints.

• Gw
      Aug 30, 2009

Has anybody else noticed how The Olive Garden has apparently changed their "salad" policy? Went into an Olive Garden in Okla. City yesterday with another couple and we each ordered one entree which we shared. One for the two of us and one for the two of them. We were told that there would be one salad served per entree ordered. When the waiter came with the salad he had one bowl with maybe, just maybe the same amount of salad one would get from two 99 cent salads at McDolands. Also, the salad had virtually no salad dressing on it, one slice of tomato, one green pepper and one single black olive. About enough salad for maybe a mouse that wasn't very hungry. We asked the waiter if we had sat at separate tables would we have been served two separate bowls of salad and his reply was "certainly". So we said then were is our other salad? We are still waiting on a common sense answer that we can understand. A few minutes later the manager arrived at our table and she too had an answer that made no sense whatsoever. As there were four of us we were careful not to take too much and there was a bit of salad left in the bowl and darned if the waiter didn't take that away too. They said if we wanted additional salad it would be $3.10 per couple and again one partially filled bowl. In other words $6.20 for nothing. So what there endless salad advertising campaign really means is this: " we will bring you a very small salad if you share a meal and then gouge you for another serving of the same size". It's endless alright as we won't be back. Funny the very thing they have built their reputation on they are throwing out the back door with their outrageous NEW policy.

• Se
      Sep 01, 2009

i guess u never been a server once u sit at a the table u dont get free salad and bread and i been working for og for 3 years and i hate people like u!!! each person who orders get a salad if ur sharing we can charge u for an add salad which means we can get u all the ###ing salad ur little ###ing mouth can eat stop being cheap and then go to mds or jack and get that 99cents salad i hate ###ing cheap ### people like u

Sep 02, 2009

I have also worked for OG as a server for 3 years. I can say that you are exactly the type of guest that we servers hate. Cheap, impatient, overly needy. Why did your entree come out when you were finishing your 1st salad? Because we hope that you're not a fat ### slob. Why was your server talk to another table? Well because you are not the only table he/she is serving and I bet they weren't as needy and had a bigger check. Why did another sever bring out your food? Because of the "Hot Food Go" policy or it was a food runner... in most restaurants, if you an experienced diner, you know that sometimes food gets ran buy people other than your server.

Oct 05, 2009

My 16 year old son take his girlfriend out to the olive garden for her birthday. They both order pasta, my son orders a salad with no dressing and his date orders one with dressing they bring the one with dressing but he never sees another salad come out. Also they bring the bread sticks out, but never return to the table except to leave the ticket for them. This was almost a $30.00 meal and also a special occasion that basicly went bad all becasue they had a bad waitress. I would hope that we would get a gift card from them for this bad experience.

Lisa Brand
    Adam Brand
    377 Lakeshore Dr.
    McCook Lake SD. 57049

Oct 05, 2009

If the wait staff is not goodwhy go back, we go to this restaurant at least 4 or 5 times a month. This is really bad when it is a young person that is out for a special occasion and if you think about it this is a lot of money for a young person to spend and have a bad experience.

• Bo
      Oct 05, 2009

Then why not teach your son to grow a pair and speak the hell up if his service was so bad?

• Ho
      Oct 24, 2009

I just had the same thing happen to me. The waitress we had didn't bring us water but tried to give us wine as a sample but didn't take our drink order then but came back. then took our drink order and still didn't bring the bread sticks. It took almost 20 min. to get our drinks and breadsticks. Then when our food came out my friend order the pizza and it felt hot but the middle was cold. We didn't see the waitress again until we got the check. We had a waiter that helped us and got our food boxed up for us and got the waitress for us. I want a gift certicate also so I can go to the one out of town where I have had good service.

• T1
      Feb 07, 2010

People like you should stay home. Have a slight amount of compassion, she was new wasn't she?! How well have you ever done when your new at anything? Besides when has it been accustom to cry about one night out on a website where a large audience will read about (and waste their damn time) about your ### life, and your bad service which was probably only bad since your sorry for your self constantly. Well you see... us servers hate you. Simply because you expect the fkn world out of us, we are not robots, and its our job to take ### from people all damn day. Ever watched waiting? If not you should definitely invest in buying yourself a copy. Never the less; Stay the ### out of our restaurants. And in return we wont serve you. Now we're all happy

May 21, 2010

I am a server at olive garden, and I just wanted to say something about why your food gets brought out by a different server. We want to make sure that your food gets brought out right when the cooks finish making it. If your server is busy with other guests, and another server is standing around waiting for something to do, it only makes sense for that server to bring out your food so that you get it hot and fresh and it isn't sitting underneath the heat lamps. I would also suggest that you let your server know that you want your food held, so that you have extra time to eat your salad before your food comes out, and let them know you would like more breadsticks when your food comes out.

If you have never been a server, it's hard to understand what it is really like. You are responsible for sometimes 12 different people who all need something different from you at the same time. Although we work hard to anticipate your needs, we are not mind readers. Everyone who comes into the Olive Garden has different needs and time constrangs. Some people eat their salad super fast and other people take a longer time. Some people need to get their food fast so they can get back to work, and others don't mind a slow-paced leisurly lunch. Also, sometimes the kitchen takes longer to make food and sometimes the food gets made right away. It all depends on how busy the restaurant is. Your server is there to help you! Instead of complaining to the internet, communicate with your server while you are there and we will be happy to take care of whatever you need!

Olive Garden Customers---

Please take note... if your food comes out too quickly for your liking... tell your server IMMEDIATELY! We can take it back to the kitchen and have a fresh meal prepared for you NO PROBLEM!!!

Food coming out too quickly is a common problem at Olive Garden, and it isn't always the servers fault. When the server enters the order into the computer, we have to say how many minutes to "hold" the meal. Meaning... the kitchen won't start to prepare until however many minutes have passed. The only problem is that some meals, such as salmon, take a very long time to make, while other meals, such as spagetti, can be ready in about two minutes. On busier nights, the kitchen might have some food already cooking in anticipation of an order, and so a meal that normally takes 20 mintues to make, will be ready in 10 minutes... so on and so forth. Also, if the server makes a mistake forgets to hold the meals before they exit out of the computer, there is no way to go back in and fix that... the kitchen starts to make it immediately.

Another factor is that on a busy night, a meal that takes two mintues to make, might take 10 minutes, because the kitchen is backed up. If the server put into the computer "hold for five mintues" to give the customer time to eat the salad, it might actually take 15 minutes, and then the customers are waiting too LONG for their food... it's really a bit of a complex process and takes an experianced server to get the feel of how long to hold certain meals depending on how busy of a night it is... we try our best though, I promise!

So my point is, if your food comes out too fast, just tell your server you aren't quite ready for it, and they will be more than happy to send the food back to the kitchen and have a fresh meal prepared. Also, we serve the food on heated plates, and a lot of times if you let your food sit for three or four minutes while you finish your salad, it will still be piping hot when you are ready to eat it! :)

Jun 09, 2010

At Olive Garden, you never get two bowls of salad at once. If someone wants no dressing and someone else does, then you are supposed to get one salad without dressing, and then a couple ramikins of dressing on the side.

Usually, the servers are not the one's making the salads. There is somone in the kitchen who makes all the salads. The server enters into the computer how many people the salad is for and then a paper prints out in the kitchen telling the salad maker how much salad to put in the bowl. Any special instructions--such as "no dressing"-- for the salad are entered into the computer by the server and those instructions print out as well. Then the salads are lined up on a counter, and have the server's names and which tables they are for. The server might not have heard your son say he didn't want dressing, or they could have grabbed the wrong salad by mistake, or they may have simply forgot. Although it's not an excuse, your son could have said something... to ANYONE!

This is the thing at Olive Garden... we servers work as a team... you can ask ANYONE for anything you need and they will be happy to help you. I am sorry your server was inattentive, however. Teach your son to speak up and ask for a manager... they will usually comp the meal for you and whip the server into shape as well. Then he wouldn't have had to pay for the bad service.

Jun 09, 2010

Sorry, but from the way you type, it seems like English is not your first language. You most likely have an accent and she probably could not hear you...

That isn't being racist, she was trying to hear you correctly so she could get your order right. And the $3.00 charge was probably because more than one person was eating salad who didn't have salad included. For example: if one person orders soup and the other person orders salad... if the soup person starts eating the salad, we charge you. You get soup OR salad not both. Not sure if that was the problem in this case, but it sounds like it could be something similar.

Your server was correct about the marinara sauce. We do not give extra sauce to go unless you pay for it. Sometimes you can get a nice server who will sneak you some, but they are risking getting in trouble to do something nice for you.

You're not being discriminated against. How come every time minorities get bad service they automatically assume it's something racist. I cannot stand that. I am white and I have gotten bad service in my life too. Sometimes that is just the way it is.

• Sh
      Jun 18, 2010

Arrived at Olive Garden and was seated by a very nice young lady and fifteen minutes later no one had taken my order for a drink or food. In this day and age money is tight and I will not be back to a restaurant with such poor service with a very good italian restaurant two blocks away. After fifteen minutes we got up and left and went elsewhere, the aforementioned "other"restaurant" where our order was taken in two minutes.

• Pl
      Jun 29, 2010

Could you please tell us which location this is at. And not just bash ALL Olive Gardens. thank you.

• Ka
      Aug 20, 2010

WOW 30 dollars is your son alright after such an expense? my sorry but if you need more salad or anything else you ASK for it servers don't read minds

• Ka
      Aug 20, 2010

first off all you are probably a fat ###, their salad is unlimited per entrée, you can't bring ten people with you and expect to get free salad for all of them, if you share a meal you have to pay for salad, you don't go to a buffet and bring someone with you expecting that the other person can eat for free. Next time please do the world a favor and stay home, you obviously don't go out much anyways because you've obviously never been to a decent restaurant before, you have no manners and you don't pay GOOD MONEY you pay a very fair price considering all you get

• Se
      Oct 15, 2010

Not everyone WANTS more bread with their dinner. Why should I bring you more bread if you don't ask? So they can sit on your table and be thrown out after you leave? Assmunch.

• Un
      Feb 28, 2011

Um...so you waited 15 minutes before getting someone's attention? The hostess might have sat you in a closed section by accident (or you requested a specific table and the hostess didn't tell a server they were sat out of their section). After 10 minutes you should have asked someone where your waiter/ess was. This is a clear example of a diner who enjoys when something goes wrong so they can complain instead of using a little common sense to adjust it quickly and not let it spoil the rest of their night.

• Ke
      Jun 08, 2011

SHOCK! Some stupid customer wants free gift cards for no reason. Sorry that your pathetic kid had to eat his free salad with dressing on it. ASK FOR ANOTHER ONE!!! Also, why should you get a gift card for that? TELL THE SERVER SO THEY CAN CORRECT THE MISTAKE FOR GODS SAKE! The passive aggressive customer blows.

• Ke
      Jun 08, 2011

@GWM: You expect free refills on salad but only want to pay for ONE meal. If you have to split a meal you are a tightwad and/or not hungry. Either way, don't expect unlimited salad for everyone even if they ordered nothing. IT SAYS IT RIGHT ON THE MENU ABOUT THE ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR SALAD ON SPLIT MEALS!!! The server heard what you ordered and cringed inside because it means double the work for half the money and ### and moaning from the cheap ### table. I hate people like you. Olive Garden doesn't owe your entitled ### anything.

Jul 15, 2011

god damn mofos @ olive garden. OGservergirl & Dawniette too are a bunch of discriminating a**holes. They don't like asians. None of them [protected]@ the olive garden. Last time i went there with my parents they kept telling us ''we dont sell anything with dog meat here''. As if we even asked. I was furious and almost punched our server. I was born in Miami and parents are asian immigrants so I do not like any of this. I am an american

• Re
      Dec 30, 2015

Hi, Me, my husband and my son love olive garden restaurants. But after today probably it was our last visit there. Everything start from we was waiting 15 minutes to our server, servers keep ignoring us and not offer us at least drinks. we left.

Dec 30, 2015

on Saturday December 26, 2015 we went to olive garden for dinner as usually I have dinner with my family 2 times a week at olive garden we got the and we have to set for 15 minutes without a server if it was a busy day I will understand but the restaurant was almost empty. it is not okay

• Sh
      Feb 10, 2016

me and my family had dinner tonight. It way too long for us to be served our dinner we waited over two hours to get our wholemeal done between our are salad and our dinner. Some people in our party did not get all the food they ordered. We ask for again for stuff ordered.

• Pe
      Jun 04, 2018

Our small community experienced a horrible tragedy today as one of our neighbors lost a son in a horrific accident. We wanted to buy the family a dinner that we could pick up from your Bend, Oregon location and then we would deliver the meal to a family of 10 grieving people. I called the Olive Garden and explained that I needed help in trying to pick a meal that would help the family avoid having to be concerned about feeding everyone.

The General Manager, Tina Anthony, spoke with me and was exceptionally helpful and understanding. After I placed the order she said Olive Garden was pleased to donate the meal as a showing of support for the family. I was completely taken aback. I intended to pay for 100% of the meal and her unsolicited offer of community support was more than I could imagine. She explained that Olive Garden is part of the same community I was and this was Olive Garden's showing of sympathy. Absolutely unexpected and moreover, so generous in this day and age that I had to thank Olive Garden for such a community policy and for General Managers such as Tina Anthony. What a treasure.

I insisted on paying but when I picked up the meal for 10. I was told it was $64, well below its fair or advertised value. It was explained that Tina donated some of the meal anyway. Today we are all experiencing in-fighting and suspicion between various groups. It is quite disheartening. This genuine gesture of kindness to is to be applauded. Tina was a star and the whole episode was terrific and lightened the load of this family. I was an Olive Garden "Frequent Flyer" before, but now I am a die hard supporter

I have one complaint. You do not have a place where you can send positive comments. That is unfortunate. Please acknowledge receipt of this compliment so that it is not lost and let me know that it has been sent on to the highest levels of the Company. This is truly an extraordinary corporate policy and it was beautifully implemented, with genuine heart and concern, by Tina Anthony. Thank you.