Nissan Murano Transfer Case / problems with transfer case

1 Montreal, Qu├ębec, Canada Review updated:

I have just gotten the same bad news as many of you, I started experiencing a problem with torque steer at any speed over 80km/hr. I booked my vehicle in at the Nissan stealership, sorry dealership, and a couple days before it was due in, I started experiencing a slight clicking sound, the kind of sound that is usually made by debris being in the tire treads. The next day the sound was worse, so I parked my MO and drove a work vehicle for a couple days. On the day I brought it to the dealer, it had increased in intensity and volume to the point that i wondered if I was going to make it there. Alas I made it and their diagnosis was that the transfer case was failing, badly, and that it would cost approximately $3800.00 to replace. Also the service person was insinuating that it was my fault, saying that I must have driven the vehicle with the AWD lock engaged on dry pavement far too often. However, this is not the case, I honestly can't remember ever engaging it at all, the automatic system worked to cover my needs just fine. Does anyone know if there is any recourse or action that can be taken with either Transport Canada, or Nissan (laugh), to have the problem be considered a recall, aside from a lengthy and costly court battle?

Cr

Comments

• Ga
      6th of Aug, 2007
    2002 Nissan Sentra - Buyer beware!

I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra that I brought to ABC Nissan to check out why I was getting a service light which would not allow me to pass emissions. First they said it was a Charcoal canister $250.00 then it was a Vent valve $260.00 That wasn't it still getting a 1446 code OH this is after they replaced the computer!!! So next they said it was the gas tank $500.00 ??? Nope here we are 2 months later no Tags on the car yet back into Nissan with you guessed it a 1446 code everything has been replaced and they continue to want to play parts roulette with my car... After they put the part in your car they refuse to take it out after they figured out that wasn't the problem. I only wish I could find a way to make these rip off dealerships stop taking advantage of people who are at there mercy. Buyer beware!!!

• Ak
      23rd of Sep, 2007

Yep, ABC Nissan should be voted the #1 rip off place. I bought a new car, they were all nice to me (answer my calls and questions) till I made the payment, then the rip off orgy started, I took my car and ran away, now looking for a good mechanic to get my usual check ups and maintenance done.

ABC Nissan promised me so many discounts and gave me none, they are blatant lairs. Their service/sales rep never ever return my call.

• To
      3rd of Oct, 2007

My nissan is only 11 months old. However, the service charge is £280.00. WHY? The only thing we can do to ensure that these people do not rip us off in future is to not buy from them. I will never buy another car from nissan.

• Je
      14th of Dec, 2007
    Nissan - deception
    Superior Nissan
    Mission Hills
    California
    Phone: 818-920-1100

We leased a car from Superior Nissa in 2000. Towards the end of the lease (3-4 years later), in an effort to induce us to purchase the car Superior Nissan sold us a 5 year extended warranty. At the time we still had a year+ on the original warranty.
    We were assured the warranty would take us through the next 6+ years.
    Last month we went in for significant service, only to be told, lo and behold, the extended warranty was from the date the car was originally placed in service. And the fine print backed them up.
    We were stupid enough to fall for this. We are NOT stupid enough to buy a $2000 5 year warranty KNOWING it would only be good for anothe year and a half, time we were already covered.
    Both Superior Nissan and Nissan America have declined to honor their obligation here.

• Ow
      28th of May, 2008

Timing Cover cracking repeatedly

• Bl
      30th of Jun, 2008

They stink. They sold me a extended warranty ro find out thatit odes not cover anything.

• Jn
      21st of Jan, 2009
    Nissan Motors - misrepresentation/ fraud
    Downtown LA Motors Nissan
    Los Angeles
    California

Dear Nissan,

Any contract terms that are seen as blatantly unfair, may be cancelable.
    Promises made orally and with the explicit intent of misrepresenting the terms of the agreement, may be seen as unlawful.
    Any significant mistake or misunderstanding may void the contract, especially when the misunderstanding is deliberately used as a predatory technique to con the buyer.

I have been lied to about the sale price. “We’ll get you it at $19, 000 at 8%.”
    I have been viciously misled. “We’ll pay off the Corvette.” With not one word about any appraisal price, or gap cost being incurred by me. This fine print information was purposefully construed and undisclosed in its full nature. In my attempt to find these statements hidden in the agreement I was thwarted by complicated sales lingo, numerous friendly but physical contacts to my body and constant misleading, to the point of flat out false remarks regarding specific interest charges, finance charges and the principle balance in the agreed upon statement .

Furthermore, when attempting to read through the contract in full I was repeatedly interrupted, physically touched and told “what it meant, ” and to focus on the coverage options.

-Justin Fien

• Ni
      24th of Apr, 2009
    Nissanusa - no responce
    nissanusa
    Phone: 1800-647-7261

Nissan has left me with no vehicle while they wait to make a decision on to pay for the service my car needs, which is replace front calibers on an 07 altima bought new that is not covered under warranty because of 48000 miles on the car. Told me to get a rental car and when they can review my case they might pay me back depending on their decision.

• Ka
      21st of Aug, 2009
    Nissan Automaker - 2008 Nissan Sentra
    Nissan Automaker
    Houston
    Texas

I bought a Nissan Sentra w/6 miles on it in June 2008. Transmission went out on this car July 12, 2009. I had to pay for the towing of this vehicle to get it worked on.

Then it took at least 2 transmissions from the factory to get one that was not defective. Bottom line I had to even pay for the rental car for all of this time. $2488.00 out of my pocket. I might get my money back and if so it will take at least 2 weeks before that happens for the rental car only. I just got this car back 08/20/09.

Bottom line DO NOT buy a Nissan. They may help you but service is VERY slow. If you do purchase one I hope you don't have to go thru what I have had to endure. Car is black in color and I'm thinking of painting in yellow I'm a LEMON.

• Bo
      14th of Sep, 2009
    Nissanusa.com - Worthless
    Nissanusa.com

I bought a brand new 2007 Nissan Sentra. It now has 44, 000 miles on it. I have just recently gotten my car back, after having it worked on almost the entire month of July and part of August. Took it to a Nissan dealership when it first started acting up and they couldn't find the problem Took it to them a total of 5 times and paid around $130.00 for nothing. No work, nothing fixed. Finally took it to another mechanic and ended up spending around $500.00 with them only to have it tear up again. Nissan finally replaced the engine after 3 weeks of going back and forth about my engine warranty. Got the car back, and now it has started acting up again. Sometimes it will crank and sometimes it won't. It's not the battery. I have to try sometimes 15 times before it will crank. You can hear it trying to start but it won't turn over. Called the dealership and they said I could bring it but I would have to pay again for them to run diagnostics on it. And they couldn't give me something to drive until they determined what was wrong. I think they should look at it for free considering they just replaced the engine less than a month ago, without me paying them again. What options do I have??? Also, what recourse do I have with this vehicle? It has been one problem after another.

• St
      16th of Jan, 2010
    Gm / Ford / Nissan / Toyota / Et Al - Blown engines / head gaskets
    all automakers

First off, i have been a certified class a mechanic since 1967, plus certified. / licensed master industrial millwright, certified / licensed master electrician. / certified unlimited welding / welder, fcc 1st class engineer, and many other certifications, i am now retired, age 73... Cars have always been my hobby, i got my first car (Model t ford) at age 10, took it all apart, re assembled it and it ran just fine, been haveing fun that way ever since... I began to notice more and more newer cars with blown head gaskets, then i looked into it, was unseemly.

These goofy automakers got together and in about 1985 began to use "stretchy" head bolts to save money, that is when this current problem began.

I get cars free, good ones that have some little problem that i repair easily and drive anoher 200 thousand or more...

Then i got a freebie 2002 focus, blown engine, i l0oked into getting an engine, forget it, all single cam focus and others blow and you cannot find one anywhere, only the dual cam ones hold up a while

Then i looked into why all these nice cars are blowing engines, horrers, horrers, the manufacturers are using head bolts that stretch and let go...

Only one way out of that one, you must get industrial allen bolts, and replace the stretchy bolts before they let go, not cheap but cheaper than an engine rebuild, allen bolts are grade 10.9 and the lousy ones in your engine are grade 5.9 or so, they cannot last... The allens never stretch

I will try to get ralph nader to look into this rip off

• Pf
      12th of Apr, 2010

Completely agree. Mine blew apart at 108, 000 km's exactly when the waranty ran out.

• Kr
      20th of Apr, 2010
    Capitol One Nissan - Scam
    Capitol One Nissan

Purchased a new Nissan Murano, before even leaving lot wanted to return it. Dealership would not help and was asked to leave their lot. The seat really hurts to drive it over a long period of time. The seats are built thicker/wider in the front and at an angle causing pain in legs and back. Many dealerships shread the paperwork and help the customer. Even contacted Police and they were shocked dealer would not void sell.

• Dn
      14th of May, 2010

Agree. I have had TWO failures of the transfer case. One under warranty, the other not. 2005 Murano, first failed at about 40k miles, second one failed at about 80k miles.

• Bu
      25th of Jun, 2010
    Nissan / Altimas 2007 - This is a newer car and the problems are escalating
    Nissan
    nissanusa.com

I purchased a Nissian Altima 2007 from Orland Park Nissian in Orland Park Il, .I had problems with the car stallin and shutting off in the middle of the expressway and in the middle of a bust intersection. I took the car in 2 years ago for the same problem. I was told ther was nothing wrong woth the car. Two years later no warrenty and over 65, 000 miles the same problem presents itself. I take the car in for service, and I am told the crank shaft sensor needed to be replaced. I review information that Nissan has been having this same problem with cars 2005 and 2006 .This is terrible stalling and not starting on expressways and busy intersections is above all a safty risk for anyone. I just had the sensor replaced at my cost 2 days ago. This is a serious health risk for consumers and just liketoyota you are going to wait until people are killed or seriously hurt to adress the problem. I would never buy another Nissan. I lost faith inthe company and the product. This is a newer car and the problems are escalating . I have read the transmission will go also from the problem. You can sugar coat it any way you want . You could have killed me and my daughter. i am afraid to drive this car . this is very serious.

• Ha
      4th of Sep, 2010

how much did it cost for the transfer case

• Oj
      29th of Sep, 2010
    Nissan - Their promises mean nothing
    Nissan

My husband ordered 4 centre bar rubbers on 6 October from the Nissan dealership on Ontdekkers Rd, Princess Crossing and was told he needed to pay up front for them in order for an order to be placed. He did this and was told the parts would be there in 2 days...it is now almost 2 weeks and they keep saying they have not received anything and it is not a 'mass produced part'.

They were quick to take his money though and make false promises. This is not the first time we have waited forever for a Nissan part. Their promises mean nothing. Soneone please source this part and stop saying 'we will get back to you'.

1st of Oct, 2010

my tranfer case went at 71000 mi i had a trash extended warrenty through fidelity and they would only put a used transfer case in 13months later the seals went and cost me $1400.00 all BS i will never own a nissan again!!!

• Ke
      21st of Oct, 2010

My tansfer case on 03 Murano with 73k miles just blew out.

I am sick and tired of this Nissan Murano and all the money I had to sink into it over the years. Nissan never again.

28th of Oct, 2010

Just found out my transfer case cracked, on my 2004 Murano, at 92, 000. Bought car used and have put $5, 000 into it in past 15 months. At this rate could have bought brand new car. I am lucky it did not go completely out with my small child in the car. Began with banging noise in front tire area similar to flat tire, progressed to entire front end noise - like the plastic under carriage was loose. Withing 2 days the noise was so loud it would echo in my neighborhood. Although part of the transmission, not covered under extended CVT warrenty. Nissan knows this is a huge problem but will only cover it under power train warrenty, up at 60, 000 miles. We need to file formal complaints, if enough people complain with legit. repairs Nissan may have to put a recall on the part and we can all be reimbursed.