National City Bank / unethical practices

United States, Indiana Review updated:
National City Bank
National City Bank is the most unethical bank I have ever had. They have dishonest practices that lead to making money off their customer base. Examples that I have experienced is that they deducted from my balance immediately for any pending charges before they have sent the money. They also hold deposited money until the next day in order to give unecessary overdraft fees. National City programs the processing system to take the smallest charges last in order to give the highest number of overdraft fees as possible. I was not even negative in my bank and had 2 deposits entered into my account leaving me with a positive balance. However, they switched around the dates in order to give me 5 huge!!! overdraft fees. That evening when they processed everything National City took out the large charges first, then all the small ones, and then processed my deposit (but before doing that they took out 5 overdraft charges for my 5 smallest transactions that took me into a negative balance). I wasn’t even negative in my bank and I check my account constantly to try to avoid any issues. I am left with little money to pay the necessary bills I need to get by and am seriously thinking about not using any banks at all anymore. I really think I would be better off writing money orders and keeping the money I work so hard for in my pockets instead of being tricked by the banking system. There has to be something that consumers can do to get this process changed because it is so unethical and I know I am not the only person who goes through this on a regular basis. So far in my experience of banking (even though the others are terrible as well) National City Bank seems to be the worst. I highly recommend never getting an account with them.

N  4th of May, 2008 by
My husband and I refinanced our home in Nov. 06 and took out a line of credit with National City. We never used even half of it and paid most of it off when a business deal we used it for was finished. We currently have less than $30, 000 on it and have never been late with a payment and have always paid much more than due. We have A credit - we got a letter on April 28, 2008 that was dated April 23, 2008. They said that they have closed our line of credit because their automated system said our house decreased in value from $435, 000 to $386, 500. No warning - our only credit cards are linked to this loc. We paid closing costs of a couple thousand dollars (normal fees) for a loc that we only used 18 months.

That is annoying and wrong I think - but it gets better. The letter also said that any charges against the loc made after TWO days of letter date (23rd) would not be honored. So...from the 25th on, National City would not honor any charges we made. But, we didn't get the letter until the 28th so that means that there are gas charges, a payment to pay off a small balance on a previous card, etc. are being refused!! Now I have to do damage control.

And the best part is today I get my statement from them for May and they have charged me a $30.00 fee for a check they refused! I am so angry that I can't even begin to figure out what we are going to do. We all know who wins when you sue - usually legal fees make it not worth it but I am tempted.

Do NOT use National City whatever you do - we are researching the banking regulatory thing but who knows…
A  7th of May, 2008 by
I agree with this post, because the exact same thing happened to me. I also entered into a HELOC with National City on good faith and with the understanding that NCB was a fair and reputable organization. Boy, was I wrong. Additional problems were that I have already entered into an agreement with a contractor in my area, and wrote checks prior to that stupid two-day rule, still NC did not honor them, and I am in damage control as well. Remediation following their procedures in the letter they sent, and a couple phone calls to useless, uninformed, apathetic Customer Service agents at National City is still open ended. However, they still want their payments from me on time.

What's worse is that I only took out a small equity loan. Even doing the math with their "automated value calculator" which they say they have a "high level of confidence" in, I still have over $100k in equity left in my home, still well enough to cover the small loan I took out with them. When I asked them about this, they told me they don't know how they get to that calculation, or where they determine a cutoff. The original contract I signed with them does say they reserve the right, blah, blah, blah, if there is a "significant" decrease in value, but what is considered significant? Is it $5000, is it $50, 000, no one seems to know, and apparently, they pull the number out of mid air, and cause us both and probably thousands of other unfortunate souls left out there to clean up the mess of their unprofessionalism.

At this point, I am so frustrated that I will for sure close this account, but you can be assured that I will be taking this to my attorney, the BBB, and to a few of the media outlets. I am not one who makes waves in most instances, but these unfair practices of NCB need to not go unanswered, and if it's going to hurt us, we of course have to do what we can to try and make it hurt for them.
A  13th of May, 2009 by
Same issue with over 7 overdrafts. In addition, the largest amount had been honored ($400). The next day, someone at the branch decided to not pay the amount and charge me an additional insufficent funds fee on top of the 7 overdrafts!

Citibank Logo Citibank