M&T Bank / Insuffiecent funds!

Baltimore, MD, United States Review updated:
4.5
Due to Christmas falling on a Tuesday this year. I got about 5 insufficient funds charges attached to my account. Because my direct deposit didn't show up like it normally does Tuesday at midnight. I got it Thursday morning. BUT Wednesday was when i got all my charges drafted to my account... LOOONG story short.

I am stuck with -$220 in my account.

Comments

Da
  8th of Jan, 2008
Almost same thing happened to me. However, I was charged, in error, insuffienct fees for charges that were covered which in turn caused subsequent withdrawals to overdraw account. Tune of 385.00 Bank manager will not return phone calls. Unable to locate M & T complaint dept. Next step Better Business Bureau.
Gu
  18th of Jan, 2008
Something similar happened to me too. I'm somehow heartened that I'm not the only one. I can't get away from this bank fast enough. They're evil!!!!!
Jo
  3rd of Feb, 2008
This bank s*cks. I was in them years ago and was disatisfied and left them only to have my new bank taken over by M&T. Now i am taking my accounts out again because of their lousy service and treament of customers. Spread the word to go elsewhere.
Da
  14th of May, 2008
Put my debit card in a "fee free" M&T ATM today. Reached in to get my cash and the little plastic door went down on my fingers. Got a receipt claiming a successful transaction. Called the 800 number on the back of the receipt. Told I have to have MY BANK file a claim. Well, it was a PayPal debit card. Imagine having PayPal go to bat for you?

I followed the procedure but I am sure I will NEVER see my cash. If you EVER see an M&T ATM, run away.

Me
  11th of Jun, 2008
I realize the best way to avoid NSF fees is to have an adequate amount in the account, however what if a deposit (direct or otherwise!) does not post in a timely manner? Also I have noticed that a charge, usually a gas station, will show up first as $1.00 then the full amount. What happens to this $1.00?
I have experienced a deposit that does not post until two or three days, also an automatic EFT withdrawal will come along right on time followed by the $37.00 fee. This can cascade when a charge that would normally have sufficient funds comes along after the fee, you are out $37.00 again. At least I cancelled my EFT withdrawal.
My bank branch manager will work with me on occasion but it is made to feel like an imposition, It's not my fault every time.
Me
Somehow I posted twice. See above
Je
  11th of Jun, 2008
I can tell you that the chances of the Better Biz. Brueau doing anything is unlikely. That's the thing that stinks with big banks but more so the federal regulations. The banks can assess whatever fee they like and essentially how ever they like as long as they follow the feds rules. Find a small bank or credit union (if you can anymore thanks to the big guys) and start a good relationship with them. I have and I can't tell you how nice it is to have someone actually call me back with an answer or at least listen to my compliant versus just saying no. M&T cares about two things their large business customers and their investment customers. Us personal customers don't mean crap.
I know not everyone can do this but - about 5 months ago I had a large CD due and when it came due I sat with the person who 10 months ago refused to reverse two $30 fees (first time) for a stupid mistake I did. When she asked if I wanted to renew I paused and said, no not really, I figure if you can't help me out with $60 why should I keep my CD with you? Now honestly, the money didn't matter to them, but it was nice to give a bit back to the girl who refused to help me!!!
Ar
  27th of Aug, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
M&T BANK What can I say about them? nothing! putting it mildly they are stealing money from their customers by calling it NSF I have been with them for more than 5 years and in 1 year alone suddenly hit with NSF more than 3 times at cost of $37.00 and always twice when it happens even when my avail bal never shows in red but they always says it is I have had it with this bank do not bank with this company they will find a way to take your money under the disguise of Insuffeicent fees $222. So far this year. again DO NOT BANK WITH M&T I'm closing my accounts as we speak
Su
  28th of Aug, 2008
I have NEVER been so ripped off by a bank! M& T Bank shall be investigated ! I will talk to my congressmen tomorrow...THIS BANK STEALS MONEY !!! I HAVE THE PAPER WORK TO PROVE IT ! I ALSO HAVE THE NAMES OF THE PEOPLE THAT WORK AT THIS M & T BANK AND LAUGH...AND SAY "WE KNOW IT'S A SCAM...THAT'S HOW WE PAY THE EMPLOYEES..."
I WAS SMART...I BROUGHT A WITNESS WITH ME!!!...HE'S SHOCKED !!!
WILL BE TALKING TO LEGAL COUNCIL TOMORROW...CONGRESSMEN...BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU...ETC...
DO NOT TRUST YOUR MONEY WITH THIS BANK !
Ke
  23rd of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
All-of-a-sudden checks from local banks may take two days to clear! I agree that they go out of their way to nail you with NSF fees. If I have a low balance and I use my Debit card, they will never decline the charge and always execute it forcing a bounce and a $37 fee. This fee is so large that it triggers additional NSFs. A $10 Starbucks charge triggered a cascade costing $185!!! They also play this game where debit card transactions double charge both my checking and overdraft, locking up overdraft $ for days at a time -- meanwhile the online system reports available funds that are 24-hours out of date. When you are running things close to the line, you are guaranteed to get killed.
Mo
  22nd of Jan, 2009
I've banked with M&T for years, when they were still Allfirst. In the past three months I've been hit with close to $400. in NSF fees.
Last month an EFT deposit took two days to clear ( I have a years worth of records showing these EFT deposits only take one day for clearence. Someone at the bank must have been on vacation.). After much arguing with the bank they *kindy* *cough* waived half the fees.
The latest issue has pushed me over the edge. I have a print out from yesterdays Web banking, showing that yes, I should have one overdraft. I have an auto bill pay set up to Draft on the 20th and was $40 short. As of this morning I have four $37.00 fees because they changed the processing order of the payments. When I called customer service the advised me to 'do the math'. They need to get a calander! Yesterday everything was clear less one memo debit, that I know I should have taken the hit for.
I'd like to find an Agency that I can send my printouts and information too, so this can be investigated.
If BBB isn't useful, does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm a single parent struggling to pay everything and they are financially killing me!
Thanks!
Sc
  16th of May, 2009
I'm so sick of M&T bank and their ridiculious insufficeint fees of $37 a hit, when I HAD $$ in the account to cover. Their website (web banking) shows one thing one day, and another the next...so it'll look like you have enough funds in the bank to cover at the time...then all of sudden...your in the negative!!! When I called and complained of the website, I was told by somone on the phone "yeah, the website is deceving"...whoa, what!? She went on to explain about this and that being on hold, and I explained to her I knew the process, I understand that my purchases need to clear ...but why doesn't it show ALL purchases on my account when it has in the past? why is it, when I'm one day from payday (I have direct deposit), charges from as long as week ago show up and BAM...put me in the negative?!! It's like they are just waiting to put you in the negative and make an easy buck for doing nothing...it'a like they were withholding information and not showing all my purchases until the last minute when I'm usually close to not having much in the account. I told the lady on the phone, web-banking doesn't make anything easier if purchases aren't being displayed FOR ME TO SEE, she basically told me...well you should be keeping track...I THOUGHT THAT'S WHAT THE WEB-BANKING WAS FOR, TO MAKE LIFE EASIER AND DISPLAY PURCHASESS AND HELP ME KEEP TRACK?! Anyway, this has happened more than once and I have gone back to old style way of logging every little purchase I make in a paper register...I thought we were in the 12st centery here!
Rp
  27th of May, 2009
i agree with everybody here they are crooks my our online banking showed we had plenty of funds and our own personal record showed we had the funds then out of no where they say we are in the negative and hit us with 6 nsf . then too top it all off the CASH cold hard green cash deposit we made took a day to clear what on earth would hold up cash being deposited immediatly. in the end we get 6 more charges on top in all 12 charges at $32 a piece is $384 in charges when it clearly shows we were in the red as well as our own personal record shows the funds were there. and to think a bank would work with u we were willing to pay a couple of the charges even when we didn't believe it was our fault but no they refused to refund more than 2 that is still over $200 free money to them. for a barely part time worker that is a weeks paycheck.
Ka
  31st of Aug, 2009
OMG! seriously something needs to be done. This is my LATEST Fiasco with this bank!

I transfered money last thursday the 20th from my savings account to my checking. Now i did this in the bank. I usually do it online and when i transfer it .. it post IMMEDIATELY . But i was driving by a branch that day so i said hey why NOT just do it in person. So i transfer the money over to cover automatic withdrawls for school and car insurance that were suppose to be coming out the follwing day. Now can you PLEASE tell me WHY transfering money from one account to another ALL OF A SUDDEN now takes a day to clear? ITS PUTTING FREAKING CASH IN ONE ACCOUNT TO THE OTHER PEOPLE?!?!? and it was done at 11 AM on thursday? So of course my car and school payment along with some other purchases made go through. And BAM they hit me with the Over draft fees. Now funny thing. I went the next day to the bank and deposited my pay check in CASH and those fees and over draft SOMEHOW had not yet posted?

So anyway i asked the teller in three different ways once i deposit this cash will it be avaible IMMEDIATELY ? Because i knew it was 5 pm it was friday and each branch seems to have thier own ###ing rules for this. So she told me YES YES YES. so i went out and bouht my books i needed for class and some other purchases thinking .. since THIER EMPLOYEE told me the money would be avaible IMMEDIATELY that it WOULD! so come monday morrning i find out i have ALL THESE over draft fees. called the 1800 number. Went to the bank. know what i was told "its my job to balance my check book"... ### i did!!! Your system ###ed me over!! i knew i wouldnt have the fees to cover the transaction so i put the money in there!!! u IDIOTS HELD IT FOR A DAY!! which sent a trickle effect for the rest of my purchases. I HATE M&T i have gone to a few other banks looking to open a new account and they all seem to have this RIP U OFF system.

Oh i also have receipts for the transer transaction. WHICH PROVES my case. WEB banking ( which by the way i was told by the branch manager is not accurate and i should not go by this THIER SYSTEM thats set up to help us "bank easier") so i was told i cant go by web banking.. and i was also told that i cant go by the receipt that i was given FROM THIER BANK STATING MY DEPOSIT AND MY TOTAL BALANCE!! SO apparently everything that M&T can provide us the customer with to show how much money we have is not "accurate"! So HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY I HAVE!!?!?

omg please someone tell me there is a lawsuit or SOMETHING i can do. Thye hit me with 6 over draft fees at 37 dollars a pop. THEY TOOK MY WHOLE PAY CHECK AND ARE SAYING I STILL OWE THEM 114 DOLLARS!!!
De
  18th of Sep, 2009
request that i pay for an affidavit a second time for a complaint about some one other than myself.
Jj
  5th of Oct, 2009
M&T Bank has charged my account $1, 339.00 in NSF fees since they took over Provident Banks in May of this year. $703.00 in fees within the last 30 days. My checking account balance was never negative during this time. Some of the $37 were on debit purchases for less than $10.
My
  14th of Oct, 2009
I just opened my account last month and they already charged me more than $400! $400 in less than a month! beat that?! I thought they were a better bank than my bank of america and boy was I wrong?! They let these transactions go through although there is not enough money in your bank. What kind of stupid policy is that? With other banks, if you're already in negative, transactions are declined. But with them, they'd still let you use your card so they have more reasons to charge you NSF fees. And they'd always tell you "you have to balance your account".. ###! who has time to always check their bank before every purchase? Liek yesterday, my balance was $58 and now it's -$28. 3 transactions are pending so that means that's another $111 from my pocket to theirs! I will close my account today. I thought they were better since they're local, "bulit for baltimore", full of crap!! I've watched on CNN a few months ago that banks will collect around $37 BILLION from NSF fees?! And they have the ###ing nerve to ask our government for ###ing help?!?! I can't believe my own bank will rob me!!!
Wh
  29th of Oct, 2009
Try this for size, I made a $3K cash deposit. They didn't tell me MY MONEY would be held. How do you hold cash- can someone tell me that? or How about the tellers that don't know when their cut-off time really is- 2pm, 230pm- whatever!!! And try 15 NSF fees! 15 NSFs!!! I budgeted correctly and they still find a way to switch the date of my purchases and post them in a way that creates NSF charges that are not even legitimate. Yes, the banking manager won't speak to you. Yes, that CSR will see that you did nothing wrong and still only refund 2 fees. AND YOU WONDER WHY PEOPLE GO "POSTAL" ON YOU!!! Who in this new "green" society gets an NSF fee on a $1.00 debit? Are you serious? MandT Bank don't care. They are a giant and do not care about us. I worked in proof departments of several banks and I know that purchases are suppose to be debited according to the date of usage, NOT ACCORDING TO THE DATE THE SYSTEM SAYS THE PURCHASE WAS MADE!!! Are you serious!
To the employees of MandT Bank, the bank is a giant ant mound; but don't forget that their is personal accountability to how you treat your customers. The decisions you individuallymake against us will come back to bite you one way or another.
SOMEBODY CALL OPRAH OR OBAMA OR A DERANGED, DISGRUNTLED EMPLOYEE/CUSTOMER!!!
GOD HELP US ALL!!! AH! THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER SYSTEM!!!
Se
  24th of Nov, 2009
Injnxwnmjkmn
Se
  24th of Nov, 2009
Hello everyone, I to have a M&T account and was charged 700 in fees, they wont close the account and they wont freeze automatic payments coming through the account so I'm stuck giving them free money, were if they would take admisistrative action and close the account or freeze it, I could use the money to pay the bills instead of there fee's, as far as I'm concerned, they screwed up" because I will persue there thieving ### to the end s of the earth, I refuse to let these pigs rip me off after I worked 10-12 hours a day and 7 days a week to earn it, so heres what I would like if your game, send me your name, mailing address, and a brief written letter of your complaint to statewidedb@aol.com, I am going to put together a complaint petition and send it to our congressman, better business, news agencys and so on, hopefully someone will pick it up and run a spot, I dont know about you guys and girls but I'm tired of getting ripped, somebody needs to, and would be willing to start it, get a group of people together, legally start a company that go's after these people, we need 1 person who is a lawyer, 1 person that an accountant, one's that a media type and so on that will committ a little of there time, an organization if you would that can act on this legally, strengh is in masses, so if your interested also tell me what you do for a living, what you could contribute, not financially right now, but maybe later if something could be organized, but if you are a lawyer maybe you could donate a little time to file some formal complaints and so on, again statewidedb@aol.com, or send your info to 4157 Mountain rd, Pasadena, Md 21122, Thank you.

M&T Bank Corporation Logo M&T Bank Corporation